Build my own or buy alienware x51 for $949?

ok i was thinking about getting a desktop to play guild wars 2 on ultra settings. i looked up site that show requirements for games (game debate.com) i found this dell x51 would do it for $949. my question is would building my own be better and cheaper? the dell x51 with an i5 processor 2320 3ghz, 8gb of ddr3 dual channel sdram 1333mhz, windows 7 home 64bit, nvidia geforce 1gb gddr5 gtx 555 gpu, 1tb sata 7200rpm hd, dvdr/cdrw, dw1502 wireless n wlan half card. it also comes with mouse keyboard and 1 year service plan. ive got speakers, and was planning on buying a dell ultrasharp 21.5 inch led screen for $220 to go with it. ill also need a mic to talk on vent.

if your answer is build my ownn, please give me a list of parts to buy.
17 answers Last reply
More about build alienware
  1. You could build this for about $600. Just get the parts that are listed by you. Ripsaws memory. And a corsair 600 watt psu and you should be good to go.
  2. ok building seems the way to go. my only questions are would the gtx 560ti 2gb be better? its only 20$ more. and would the psu need to be better than 530? would changing the mushkin for g skills ram matter? and would a small ssd hd be better (120gb) i think they are similar price and i dont need alot of harddrive memory( just enough for games) isnt ssd faster?.
  3. 2gb should be good at higher res, but atm, no.
  4. No, the 560 Ti is worse and the 7850 already has 2 GB, why are you even asking? :lol:
  5. 7850 is the stronger card by a good margin.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html

No the MB linked will be just fine.

That is a budget PSU that will work. See my PSU guide for details. If you want to spend more on a PSU I can recommend many, or you can see a list here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322966-28-list-recommended-psus#t2430472

No but if you want to by G.skill modules of the same specs that would be fine. 1.5V CL9 1600Mhz.

SSDs cost a bit more, but yes you could use one in place of the HDD. A 128GB Crucial M4 would be good. You will fit about 3 games an the OS on one comfortably.
  6. It depends on the game. For BF3 and Skyrim, the 560ti is better.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=549
  7. Not on the Tom's Hardware test which I would say is a lot more reliable and convincing scientifically.
  8. It is not more reliable just because it is THG. That is a GPU comparison chart. Read the card specific reviews on anandtech before judging.
  9. ok so ill stick with all the items on the list. is a ssd worth it? and u said the psu would work but would it be worth it to pay more for a better one?
  10. I'm OK with Anandtechs results, but given the apparent edge the 7850 has in general, I have to think it's the better card and those are just driver issues. Still, it's interesting. I'm low on time now but perhaps someone could locate a more recent review? There is probably a fresh 7850 review out there somewhere, and most use BF3.

Always good to look these things over.
  11. azeem40 said:
    It is not more reliable just because it is THG. That is a GPU comparison chart. Read the card specific reviews on anandtech before judging.

I didn't say it's reliable because it's THG, I said it's reliable because it's actually a written article where I can see what was done and under what conditions which is the basics of scientific writing.
  12. While the 570 and 7870 are both better (and both will work well with the part list Proximon put together), there's the significant cost increase to be mindful of - the 570 is $80 more than the 7850, and the 7870 is $110 more. Also keep in mind that the 7850 will dominate GW2 - even my low-end, $500 laptop can run GW2 at low/med settings at around 45 fps (on integrated grahpics). If I were you, and I were looking for a DIY build to compete against that X51, this is what I'd go for:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($68.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $886.90
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-24 18:56 EDT-0400)

Some things to note about the list:
    - It does not include any combo deals or rebates into the total price; it totals the cost minus promos plus shipping only. If you scroll towards the bottom of the page on Newegg, you'll find a link for all the combo deals including the item you were looking at - browsing through those can save you a handful.
    - If you're looking for a bit more computing power, then spend an extra $50ish and buy the i5-2500k and the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 Evo and go for a good overclock.
    - Feel free to change the case as you please; I like the NZXT Phantom for its combination of aesthetics, features, and quality. I thought you might like it in comparison to the Alienware.
    - The XFX 7850 comes with both DIRT Showdown and DIRT3.
    - I honestly haven't looked much into Ivy Bridge past its price and some THW benchmarks for it, and I really don't know that it's worth the premium for the extra efficiency. If that's your thing, look into getting the i5-3570k (or 3450 for a more affordable option) and I'd recommend one of ASRock's Z77 motherboards to go with it.
  13. thanks guys that helps me a ton.
  14. If your build is going to be very similar to the X51 than no since the price difference between an X51 and a custom built wouldn't be very big, but what you want to build you is not very similar you could get a pretty powerful fulltower
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product