Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Changing the display area

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:39:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution 1024x768.
The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the right
half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is fully
functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to only
use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768 but
windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have looked
at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be based on
running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
Thanks

More about : changing display area

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Don't know of any. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for
repairs. If not, bad news. The LCD screen comprises about 70% of the cost
of a laptop.

"LondonJohn" <LondonJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1140EED1-9D77-44C4-AD43-7E4F03EC7457@microsoft.com...
> I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution 1024x768.
> The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the right
> half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is fully
> functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
> dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
> Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to only
> use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768 but
> windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have
looked
> at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be based
on
> running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
> Thanks
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:59:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Kevin wrote:
> Don't know of any. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for
> repairs. If not, bad news. The LCD screen comprises about 70% of the cost
> of a laptop.
>
> "LondonJohn" <LondonJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1140EED1-9D77-44C4-AD43-7E4F03EC7457@microsoft.com...
>
>>I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution 1024x768.
>>The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the right
>>half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is fully
>>functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
>>dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
>>Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to only
>>use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768 but
>>windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have
>
> looked
>
>>at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be based
>
> on
>
>>running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
>>Thanks
>
>
>

79%??? No way. He can probably get a replacement screen on eBay for $100-200.

/dan
Related resources
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:15:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"LondonJohn" <LondonJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| ... laptop monitor has suffered physical damage ...

"Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote:
| If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for repairs.

No warranty covers that type of physical damage.
An insurance policy might cover either accidental or third-party wilful damage.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:13:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Daniel Ganek" <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:crumqk$pjp$1@pcls4.std.com...
> Kevin wrote:
> > Don't know of any. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in
for
> > repairs. If not, bad news. The LCD screen comprises about 70% of the
cost
> > of a laptop.
> >
> > "LondonJohn" <LondonJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:1140EED1-9D77-44C4-AD43-7E4F03EC7457@microsoft.com...
> >
> >>I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution
1024x768.
> >>The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the
right
> >>half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is
fully
> >>functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
> >>dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
> >>Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to
only
> >>use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768
but
> >>windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have
> >
> > looked
> >
> >>at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be
based
> >
> > on
> >
> >>running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
> >>Thanks
> >
> >
> >
>
> 79%??? No way. He can probably get a replacement screen on eBay for
$100-200.
>
> /dan

Yes. The vast majority of the expense in building laptops is the LCD
display. This cost is going down as production costs of displays continues
to decline. Generally speaking, if the display on your laptop goes out it
is not cost effective to replace it. For only a few hundred dollars more
you can get a new unit with a warranty.
!