Changing the display area

I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution 1024x768.
The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the right
half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is fully
functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to only
use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768 but
windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have looked
at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be based on
running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about changing display area

    Don't know of any. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for
    repairs. If not, bad news. The LCD screen comprises about 70% of the cost
    of a laptop.

    Kevin wrote:
    > Don't know of any. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for
    > repairs. If not, bad news. The LCD screen comprises about 70% of the cost
    > of a laptop.
    >
    > "LondonJohn" <LondonJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution 1024x768.
    >>The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the right
    >>half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is fully
    >>functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
    >>dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
    >>Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to only
    >>use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768 but
    >>windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have
    >
    > looked
    >
    >>at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be based
    >
    > on
    >
    >>running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
    >>Thanks

    79%??? No way. He can probably get a replacement screen on eBay for $100-200.

    /dan

    "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote:
    | If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for repairs.

    No warranty covers that type of physical damage.
    An insurance policy might cover either accidental or third-party wilful damage.

    "Daniel Ganek" <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Kevin wrote:
    > > Don't know of any. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in
    for
    > > repairs. If not, bad news. The LCD screen comprises about 70% of the
    cost
    > > of a laptop.
    > >
    > > "LondonJohn" <LondonJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my sony laptop with native resolution
    1024x768.
    > >>The laptop monitor has suffered physical damage which means that the
    right
    > >>half of the display will does not work. The rest of the computer is
    fully
    > >>functional and I could use it with just half a screen expect that many
    > >>dialogue boxes etc appear in the dead area of the screen.
    > >>Is there any way in windows or a 3rd party add-on to limit windows to
    only
    > >>use part of the screen? The video resolution would remain at 1024x768
    but
    > >>windows could only address a "virtual desktop" of say 500x768. I have
    > >
    > > looked
    > >
    > >>at virtual desktop (e.g. XP power toy) software and they seem to be
    based

    > > on
    > >
    > >>running mutliple full-screen desktops rather than part-screen desktops
    > >>Thanks
    > >

    > 79%??? No way. He can probably get a replacement screen on eBay for
    $100-200.

    > /dan

    Yes. The vast majority of the expense in building laptops is the LCD
    display. This cost is going down as production costs of displays continues
    to decline. Generally speaking, if the display on your laptop goes out it
    is not cost effective to replace it. For only a few hundred dollars more
    you can get a new unit with a warranty.

Configuration Windows XP Displays