Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reboot and select proper boot device

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 9:10:33 PM

Okay so I did a quick test yesterday on my new build once before with just the 2 power cables attached to the motherboard. It loaded the splash screen. Now after connecting all the remaining cables and starting up it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or select boot media in selected boot device and press any key" on a black screen.

I thought it was supposed to continue to load the bios until I have installed an OS? This is my first build so I am a little nervous that this could be a major problem. is there a certain way I am supposed to power down from the bios? I haven't changed any settings so I hit the power button the first time to simply shut down.

Here's the computer.

Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Mid-Tower Gaming Case
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

Rosewill RK-800G Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Gaming Keyboard

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Best solution

May 24, 2012 9:19:16 PM

It sounds like you have the hard drive selected as the first boot device not the CD/DVD drive. If you change that around it will start to boot/install the version of windows/linux/OS X you want to install.
May 24, 2012 9:20:25 PM

Alright thanks ahnilated I disconnected the SSD like you mentioned and that worked perfectly. Now the splash screen loads.
Related resources
May 24, 2012 9:25:16 PM

Best answer selected by Blakexeal.
May 24, 2012 9:27:26 PM

with these new efi bios there are two roms on the same chip....when you go into easy bios set up on the bottom you may see one to three devices. passing or clicking on them will show you there model number and name..some may have a eufi on the left side of them. in easy mode if you just had a cd-rom and a hard drive. if you wanted to boot from cd-rom you would drag it so that it the first boot device and the hd as the second. if you want to boot from cd then ssd you would drag the cd as first then the ssd. if the ssd does not show up you have to go into advance and under hard drives or boot device edit which hard drive you want to boot first. if both the ssd and hd are empty power off the pc and unplug the hard drive. it make install of windows easy as windowss will see only one drive and load the restore and os on the ssd. once windows is loaded and your on the desktop..shut down and connect the data cable back on. then go into winodw system tools..drives and let windows partion the main hard drive and format it and set a drive letter for it. if you dont want to do that and there nothing on the new hardd rive when windows starts installing go to advance mode and fdisk and format the new drive and lable it data or backup. then run the windows install it should then put the info on ssd.
!