BSoDs / Freezes / Restarts all day every day.

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hello,

I want to start off with saying, I'm not 100% sure this belongs here, but if not I hope I can find help anyways and/or it gets moved to where it needs to be.

I have had a computer running fairly well for about 7 months, and recently a problem came up that I believed was the PSU (would not power on), I RMA'd the PSU, and set it back up with no luck. I then took it to a local computer shop, and was told my motherboard was bad (which was my second guess, just didn't want to wait 4 weeks on an RMA for no reason) I returned the mobo and a month later, went to set my system back up to find that many of my cpu pins were bent. I went to buy a new one, and found that they no longer make the AMD Phenom II x6 1100T. I decided to go with the FX-6100 because it was similarly spec'd and in a price range my significant other would allow me.

I set the system back up, and am doing well until I begin to play most any game. Receiving BSoDs with a 0x00000101 stop error code on some occasions. Mostly I just get freezes or restarts. I can get these errors/crashes from anything ranging from 2 minutes after startup, all the way to playing Star Wars: The Old Republic Online. Sometimes I can get away with playing for an hour or two, sometimes I can't even load the game. I have attempted: reinstalling windows, new drivers for gpu, swapping my gpu, resetting bios to default. I even went so far as to return my cpu and swap it for another FX-6100. I am at my wits end, and would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.

And before I forget, here's my current build:

Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD65 Motherboard (BIOS ver. 18.7)
CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz hexa-core processor
GPU: NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance (2x 4GB)
PSU: HEC Zephyr-MX 750w 80 Plus Bronze
HDD: 2 TB WD Caviar Green + 1 TB WD Caviar Green
OPD: Asus cheapo DVD-RW drive

Thank you in advance,
Kal

Your issues point to memory.

Check the sticker on your dimms and make sure the timings, voltage, and speed are set correctly in your bios.

If so, then run memtest86 on your memory. If you get any errors, test one stick at a time until you find the bad one.

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Thank you both for your quick response, I will check my stickers etc real quick, and run memtest (good thing I already have it on a bootable usb?) and get back you to with any new information.

Thanks again,
Kal

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Alright after a quick look at my stickers and bios settings. I have found that my RAM sticker lists as a DDR3-1600 but my bios lists the max bandwidth as DDR3-1333. :\ who to believe?

YOUR RAM IS RATED TO RUN AT 166 IT WILL BEFAULT TO 1333 AND RUN FINE THERE. THE 1600 IS A HIGHER RATED RAM FOR oc

lol sorry about the caps trying to do 7 things at a time and iam not female lol

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Alright thank you, I just needed to get that out of the way and make sure it wasn't forcing me to underclock my RAM? Other than that all of my bios settings are defaulted to Auto which I assume shouldn't crash me?

Also lol @ caps

and now off to memtest for a pass or two.

edit: just loaded up memtest and it's showing my CAS at 4-5-5-15? my ram sticker shows 9-9-9-24 perhaps auto is bad?

edit2: man I am terrible with hardware, next time just let me come here and have you guys tell me what to buy.

What does your Bios show your ram timmings @ ?

Most mobos default ram speed @ 1333 with is, fine the 1600 are ment to be OCed ( you dont need to OC them ) but if you OC your CPUs FSB your ram will OC also, so people that intend to OC there CPU buy 1600 or higher ram sticks

I dont have a link to your ram RAM but yes the timmings seem slow as far as memtest is showing them.

Try to set them yourself in the BIOS

to 1600

Volts ? 1.5 1.6 whats does your ram say for volts ?

timming 9-9-9-24 maybe ?

Do you have a GPU you can change out ? Maybe try a friends to see if its GPU ?

Or buy a POS GPU for testing ( and if it is not the problem ) take it back and upgrade it to a good GPU

Not sure if this is a gamer PC but if your at 1920x1080 try a GTX 560 Ti or a ADM 7850 or as high as the wife will allow :)

We know who whares the pants in the family you do, Right ? but she controlls the neck and can turn the head anyway she like :p

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Finished a first pass of memtest, with no errors, I have already attempted swapping it to another old gpu, with no luck. My bios doesn't tell me what the timings are unless I set them myself (just says "auto") My bios does however have an option to change the ratio of fsb : dram (currently at 1:3.33 = 1333 )

Also, my voltage is at 1.5v where it suggests on sticker.

ran CPU-Z as advised by smorizio and all of the settings seem to be correct. (comparing the SPD tab to the Memory tab)

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Quick update:

I have run 5 passes of memtest, with zero errors. I have checked cpu-z and all of my RAM settings seem to be the suggested values. I have run Furmark, with nothing exciting. 14 fps average, but I know my gpu isn't top of the line, so I wasn't expecting 40+ with it. I've run Prime95 on blend for a few hours with nothing special happening. My mobo was shipped with newest bios available. I have reinstalled windows a few times.

I am still getting lock ups on games and in general true bsods are a little more rare, but still happen.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting more and more tired of this brick. lol

Thanks,
Kal

Try to get someone to read the event log of the BsOD to figur out what is happening @ the time ?

if it under 30 days rma the ram and look on the mb guild and or crusial memory advisior for ram that been tested for your mb. if it over 30 days see if the vendor will swap the ram for some that on the mb guild. if you can see of someone you know has another brand of dimms to see if the ram or the mb.

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Just borrowed RAM from a friend, less than 1 hour into playing, I got a freeze. I'm going to assume this probably means that the motherboard they sent me after the last one broke, is broken already?

Kal Do you have all the new drivers and bios for your MoBo ?

Windows is up to date ?

GPU has the new drivers ? and you did a new install of them ? not writing over your old drivers ?

IMO if so its your GPU i have seen this before

Let us know how it goes and try not to pull out all your hair :)

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Bios is 100% up to date, they shipped it to me with the newest everything they have. Windows is as up to date as it gets, gpu has newest drivers, and I believe i did a clean install on them, but will reinstall them in a bit to make sure.

Thanks again for looking out for me Niklas. ( I actually need a haircut, so maybe pulling some of my hair is ok? lol )

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
One bit of experience that I have and would share here if you will excuse my ignorance of what the actuall problem may be. A friend of mine built one of those AMD Hex core systems right at the launch of Rift for the purpose of playing it, I built my quad core at the same time, we launched the game and he was recieving very very poor performance compared to mine and he was getting freezes, he had a better CPU and more RAM and a better GPU.

After a month of troubleshooting we ran across a tech bulletin from Trion about hex core CPU's having trouble with the game, for some reason the game would not "see" the CPU as a six core, and so it only utilized it as a single core causing all kinds of performance problems. Long story short, he sent back the hex core and got a quad core and it fixed all his problems.

Not saying this is what problem you are running into, just might be worth a try to plug in a non hex core CPU if you have an AM3 one available to try, may save you some hair pulling.

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Jim, I really do appreciate the input, at least it's constructive (compared to some other people who've tried to "help" ) Unfortunately I don't believe that's the whole issue. It's not all about performance. I mean while I can run the game, it runs fairly smooth. The and I do believe windows knows it's a hexacore processor, and several of my crashes have occurred just while doing things on my desktop / windows explorer.

Though as far as my luck goes, that could be another issue down the line lol.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Well then my first step would to be to get a driver cleaner program, restart in safe mode, wipe a driver, then go fresh install the newest ones, doing this one at a time can be time consuming but will help you narrow down the problem. I was once told that 95% of all BSoD's are driver related and it is possible to get a corrupted driver.

Kalimious

Honorable
May 24, 2012
So, I'm back, and it's still bugging out on me a fair amount. I RMA'd my motherboard after the all of the above, and just got it back today. I installed all of my components again, using some pretty sexy thermal goo for the cpu. I then launched my computer and tried doing what I always do, launch SWTOR. Unfortunately, I received BSoD while patching. The error code I received was a 0x000000A, in addition to that, after finally getting through with the patches, I continued to crash, freeze, and restart while playing.

I'm pretty close to ending my subscription and find some form of explosive to use on this brick of a computer I have.

If there are any fresh thoughts, please, don't hesitate to respond, and thank you.

~Kal