Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Third Gigabyte GT440 still no signal!! (HP P6620F) Now what?!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2012 10:17:47 PM

I'm on my third, Gigabyte (Nvidia, GeForce) GT440 (OC version) video card from Newegg!! For the sake of, "did I actually get two bad in a row?" had a third sent out. I just bought an, HP P6620F (refurb). It has the PCI-E 16 slot. It should be a no brainer! I installed the card with a NEW 500 watt Rosewill PSU. I even have the 24 pin at the mobo hooked up! There is NO power connector at the card. I've done everything short of, "The big hammer!" The fan spins and that's it. Both monitors I've tried show NO SIGNAL. I even tried the adapter for a different HD out. I DID NOT install, or uninstall anything, software wise. Not sure if that would leave me hi and dry with NO PICTURE, period! I've checked the BIOS and it says, "Primary video - PCI-E." I'm at a loss!! I've installed cards before and never run into this! I'm assuming it SHOULD have been automatic. I was also told by HP, that if there was something wrong with the slot, there'd be other issues/problems with the mobo. I'm all ears!
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2012 11:08:59 PM

Wht does your hardware advisor show? Is the card flagged? Does Windows come up with a 'found new hardware" ?
Can you try the card on another computer?
m
l
March 23, 2012 11:37:07 PM

Do you get video out of the on-board with the card still installed? If so then my guess would be a bad PCI-E slot or the card is not inserted all of the way. It can happen if your case it out of alignment or the bottom of the slot bracket is resting on the motherboard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 12:15:18 AM

extremepcs said:
Do you get video out of the on-board with the card still installed? If so then my guess would be a bad PCI-E slot or the card is not inserted all of the way. It can happen if your case it out of alignment or the bottom of the slot bracket is resting on the motherboard.

+1. Also, over tightening the retaining screw can also lead to the card coming out of the slot at the rear end as well. Make sure you've inserted the card really well and that it's good and seated. Try giving it wiggle once it's in the slot if it's still not working. Some machines can be a bit fickle.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 1:02:03 AM

The best way to test the card is in another rig as stated above. The chances of having 3 cards bad are out of sight. Unless you are the most unluckiest OP in the world.

Another way to check you PCIe slot with a card that you know works from another rig. But If I had to guess it is the PCIe slot is bad. Have you ever had an overheat problem in the past?

If you did it could have caused some issues with the slot. All this is just a guess, when you are on your third GPU. I hope you get it fixed, I know how it sucks when something like this goes walk about. Good luck to you.
m
l
March 24, 2012 9:12:57 AM

DM186 said:
The best way to test the card is in another rig as stated above. The chances of having 3 cards bad are out of sight. Unless you are the most unluckiest OP in the world.

Another way to check you PCIe slot with a card that you know works from another rig. But If I had to guess it is the PCIe slot is bad. Have you ever had an overheat problem in the past?

If you did it could have caused some issues with the slot. All this is just a guess, when you are on your third GPU. I hope you get it fixed, I know how it sucks when something like this goes walk about. Good luck to you.

Unfortunately, the only other rig on hand is a, Dell Dimension 4600 (2.6 GHz, P4), with an AGP slot. (Containing a, Gigabyte HD 4650.) The Dell, it's the reason I grabbed this HP, P6620F. Price and wanted to play some newer games, other than COD4:MW. (like, MW2 and 3.) Needed a better processor and more RAM. Something I think I failed to mention was the onboard, ATI Radeon HD4200 (Chip set.) That will still work with the new card installed. I checked around to see if I could "MOVE" the video cable to the onboard while the GT440 was installed. POWER OFF first, as always! Never moved that cable while rig was on. I DO GET SIGNAL to the monitor from the onboard, WHILE THE GT440 is in the slot. (I've only done it with this third card.) I also hear the, "SNAP" when I seat the card and give it the two thumb push. Although, it does look a tad tight at the case frame. BUT, I don't see anything to make me believe it's not down in the slot. I could bend the metal where the screw would normally go. (not sure I want to!) BTW, on this, HP, there's a bracket that holds cards down and not a screw (Like others I've had.) I've had this, HP since the end of January. No overheat to speak of. I can play ALL the COD series up to COD2. (with onboard ATI) Never even gets warm. I've checked through, Piriform's "SPECCY" and temps almost never exceed 32 -35 C. (The mobo right this second> FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1) 21 °C) It's almost like the onboard won't disable, or there's a setting. I literally can only find one similar issue and it's on here with the same computer, different graphics card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 9:36:12 AM

Disable the onboard chipset. Or has that been covered in this discussion?
m
l
March 24, 2012 9:46:57 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Disable the onboard chipset. Or has that been covered in this discussion?

I believe it's in my original post. I've been to the BIOS about a half dozen time or so and it says, "Primary video - PCI-E." I've tried changing it to "onboard" and back again, just to make sure I'm not losing my mind. I've seen folks talking about doing things through Windows, like uninstalling everything (ATI, HD 4200 drivers and such) and using the CD they give you. That doesn't sound right. I've never had to skip the physical part (card install) and go right to driver install.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 1:33:06 AM

Actually, uninstalling the ATI drivers and then using a driver utility like Driver Sweeper couldn't hurt. The drivers should never prevent the card from initializing properly, but removing the ATI drivers is something you'll have to do to get things working right anyways so it would be worth a try.

A bad PCIe slot with no other issues just seems like such a long shot and a weird problem to have. Does the PC have any other cards installed aside from the new video card? If so do they function without issues?

Also, if you're able to get video with the onboard with the GT 440 installed, does the card show up in Windows Device Manager at all? It will either be under display adapters or be listed as an unknown device. If Windows can't see it then something funny is going on with your board.
March 25, 2012 9:36:33 AM

87ninefiveone said:
Actually, uninstalling the ATI drivers and then using a driver utility like Driver Sweeper couldn't hurt. The drivers should never prevent the card from initializing properly, but removing the ATI drivers is something you'll have to do to get things working right anyways so it would be worth a try.

A bad PCIe slot with no other issues just seems like such a long shot and a weird problem to have. Does the PC have any other cards installed aside from the new video card? If so do they function without issues?

Also, if you're able to get video with the onboard with the GT 440 installed, does the card show up in Windows Device Manager at all? It will either be under display adapters or be listed as an unknown device. If Windows can't see it then something funny is going on with your board.

Yes, for sure it's an odd problem to have, I know. Hard to imagine a bad slot amongst ALL THE OTHER STUFF that could posibly go wrong! I had a 9800 PRO once, go critical mass and meltdown! (Diferent computer) That was a piece of cake to replace!

Yes, I get video from the onboard WHILE the GT440 is in the slot. As a matter of fact, the first thing I did was go straight to device manager lookin' for it. Show's two things, ATI Radeon HD 4200 and LogMein mirror driver. The 440 never popped up ANYWHERE. Watched for the, "New hardware found" etc. I was hoping, third times a charm, ya' know?

I've been extremly hesitant to dump the existing drivers, as this rig has all my everyday stuff on it. I'm not a wiz when it comes to finding and updating drivers! I'm sure this has a Windows default video driver of sorts, so it can be done. It's getting them back on if I had to that worries me. Looking at reviews on, Newegg is enough to discourage anyone, driver wise! EVERYTHING IS A DRIVER PROBLEM! Well, I'll do what I can and see if it makes a bit of difference. At this point ANYTHING is a plus! Thank you!!

PS: No, there aren't any other cards installed, per se! Looking at, SPECCY, it says "slot 1 is in use." "MINI PCI-E x1" The only thing I can figure, is it's the onboard WiFi. (I think?)
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:42:26 AM

A quick question... Let's say hypothetically, the mobo is fubar, and HP refuses a replacement. What are my best (but economical) choices for this processor and graphics/video card? (AMD Phenom II X4 830) Anything that covers, AM3? Or can it be, AM3+?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 9:15:51 PM

AM3 or AM3+ will both be fine, but you'll have to do some research over at the HP forums to find out if your machine will take a standard ATX, mini-ATX, or micro-ATX board. The problem is, your OS is linked to the motherboard so your current copy of Windows will no longer function without an HP replacement.
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:50:54 PM

Best answer selected by maxokll.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 2:53:54 PM

Were you able to get your machine up and running?
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:00:00 PM

Sent a PM. Not yet, I have to get the replacement mobo from, HP. (under warranty!) I should be more specific! When you mentioned something might up with the board was right on the money! Depite that being so far out in left field!
m
l
!