Sign in with
Your question

What am I missing?

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 10:27:13 PM

Hello There,

I am a PC gamer and I am in the proccess of upgrading. Here is my setup what (other than ssd and water cooling) is a must have. I also need reccomendations on ssd's and liquid cooling.

i5 2500k*
nvidia 8800gt
1tb hitachi deskstars*
8 gb Kingston Hyperx*
460 watt cooler master elite psu
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3*

* means I am not upgrading that component

More about : missing

May 25, 2012 12:38:12 AM

PSU Upgrade http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... 74.99 (basically the PSU's with 80 + are good and certified).. Really depends on what you want. A 620W is a bit much, but I have pretty the much the same build and it should be alright.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... 179.99
Radeon HD 6870 - good card on par with GTX 560ti, it is a relatively big card though, so it really depends on your case.
thats the pretty much same build I have for my PC, it seems to be alright. There is always cheaper options out there.
Good luck with your upgrade :D .
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 12:56:36 AM

Unless you plan on heavy overclocking (greater than 4.4GHZ) I wouldn't bother with a liquid cooler as air would be sufficient.

But if you insist, this is one of the best liquid coolers on the market:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A 6870 is a very good video card, but you should specify what your budget range is for these upgrades.

Not very thoroughly read up on SSDs to feel comfortable recommending a model and brand on em, but I will say get one that is at least 120GB, its pretty easy to fill up one of the 64 gig ones.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 2:08:01 AM

A SSD is nice, pretty much for safety, if your computer gets a virus, a SSD can be a good back up if you need to format, at least that's what I was told? I may be wrong, but they are handy to have.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 3:23:11 AM

Muggah,

An SSD is a like a hard drive, it can be your primary storage device. Its made from the same kind of memory chips you find in USB flash drives, as opposed to traditional hard drives, they're more durable as they have no moving parts, they're also significantly faster to load programs. This is particularly useful for gamers.

The "problems" with using SSDs as your primary drive is the price per gigabyte is substantially higher than traditional hard drives.

Also, the chips wear out over time, while its claimed that SSDs are more reliable than hard drives, I'm somewhat reluctant to sign on to that concept for the simple fact that at least in my experience its pretty rare for a mechanical HDD to fail, unless you take it out of your computer case and play frisbee with it. :lol: 
m
l
May 25, 2012 6:31:33 PM

nekulturny said:
Muggah,

An SSD is a like a hard drive, it can be your primary storage device. Its made from the same kind of memory chips you find in USB flash drives, as opposed to traditional hard drives, they're more durable as they have no moving parts, they're also significantly faster to load programs. This is particularly useful for gamers.

The "problems" with using SSDs as your primary drive is the price per gigabyte is substantially higher than traditional hard drives.

Also, the chips wear out over time, while its claimed that SSDs are more reliable than hard drives, I'm somewhat reluctant to sign on to that concept for the simple fact that at least in my experience its pretty rare for a mechanical HDD to fail, unless you take it out of your computer case and play frisbee with it. :lol: 

Hahaha, yeahh truee enough. Thanks man, I guess you learn something new everyday :D .
m
l
!