Logitech MX5000 - Annoying Mouse Issues

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Hi there,

I realise this is probably not the correct forum to post this, erm, issue. But nevertheless, I'm having trouble with the Logitech MX5000 Wireless desktop - specifically the mouse.

If left alone for a while, it seems to develop a mind of its own as soon as you start to use it again. It is difficult to explain: Say the pointer is stationary in the bottom right portion of the screen while you are typing, then you grab the mouse and try to click on the start menu. You drag the mouse down and to the left, but it doesn't seem to respond, so you wiggle it around a little bit and stop. The pointer then begins to follow the exact path and pattern that you just performed, but its a few seconds delayed, and its moving at a constant speed. Once it catches up, it seems to be fine for a while, and then begins the odd and unpredictable behaviour again.

The system is as follows:
Athlon64 X2 4400+
2x512MB Corsair DDR400 Dual Channel
Gigabyte K8N51GMF-939 Integrated Motherboard
Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Card
DVD-RW etc.
WindowsXP SP2

I have analysed the processes in the task manager - there is no correlation between this behaviour and any process or processor usage for that matter. I have even attempted to set the "Setpoint" process with a higher priority, but it had no affect whatsoever.

It is frustrating as hell, when you move your mouse to minimize a window, but it only responds about a second later, and then goes off on a tangent.

I have tried reinstalling the logitech software, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm about ready to assume its a hardware defect (although i'm quite sure it isn't) and have it replaced.

Any advice, guidance or even wit's-end ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

DrozD

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I also have the MX-5000 although I use a G7 mouse which I like better.
I ran some tests with my MX mouse and found that if the mouse is more than a 5 feet away from the transmitter, it gets flaky, as you describe. I think they like to be pretty close. Good luck.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I suppose it *could* be that - although all that is separating the transmitter from the mouse and keyboard is about 3cm of wood, seeing as the pc sits under the desk. There is a lot of cabling around it too, and plenty of wireless frequencies going this way and that - but I'll give it a try...

Thanks for your assistance.

G

I don't think that this is the problem since the signal eventually gets processed. If it was too far away it wouldn't work at all or be jerky.

Have you tried using the mouse without setpoint software? Like this you could rule out the logi software as a source for the problem.

Also be sure to check the windows mouse settings; they may interfere with setpoint.

Use another USB port? (though I don't think that would help)

I suspect some nasty things going on in your computer; do games run well? Is windows behaving normal?

You could run some linux (knoppix, kanotix...) from a bootable CD and see if your mouse works there...

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I very much agree with you, Fluff, that it is most likely the setpoint software.

I will attempt to completely remove the software, although, without the software the keyboard will not work.

I've checked the windows settings, they are very basic, but as far as I can see there is nothing there that would interfere - at least not on a sporadic basis, such as has been demonstrated.

I did try swapping USB ports, way back when the problem first appeared - no difference.

Games... Well, um, I suppose the integrated GeForce 6100 coul conceivably play games, although as you might imagine, that is not this computer's primary function. It is used mainly for office work, but tracking and monitoring investment activities, so it has a lot of rather uncommon applications running the majority of the time.

Windows behaves somewhat normally, but the netgear software for the wireless card is quite flaky - often crashing. But other than the netgear glitches, the system has worked rock solidly.

I have Knoppix and bootable CD of windows that I might try - but, the mx5000 is really quite dependant on the driver software being installed before it takes flight. Its not like my old mx700 where it'll just work wherever you plug it in...

Thanks though, It must be said, you have given me a lot to consider.

Paul

EDIT: Hmmm... Found an interesting piece of information here.

G

Well Paul

How does your mouse behave uder knoppix (or kanotix; newest version of course)? Don't mind the keyboard. Did you give that a try?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Its been a long week. However, among my list of problems, the MX5000 is not.

It was indeed a range issue - I connected it to an old MSI 4-port USB hub, and shoved it behind the LCD, and we were "a" for away. It didn't behave like any of my previous mouses with regards to range, so I didn't really give it much thought. Previous logitech wireless devices have always had a movable base station - and I could get about four metres out of my mx700. Alas, they don't make them like they used to. :wink:

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. Problem resolved.

DrozD

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Glad to hear you got that solved. There are also problems with Setpoint for some people, but not all. Specifically, programming mouse buttons for applications, like Firefox, for Back and Close Tab. Works for a while, then goes away, usually after reboot. The trick here is once you get the buttons programmed the way you want , go to C:Documents and Settings<user>Application DataLogitechSetPointuser.xml and set the file to Read Only.
Want to > Enable all options on all buttons in Logitech SetPoint- KB and mouse. Take a look at uberOptions
uberOptions lets you program everything.
"Now if I could only remember what I programmed the keys to do, hmmm"