Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help me trouble shoot upgrade/build

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 24, 2012 10:30:20 PM

I am upgrading both the case and the psu on my Dell desktop.

I obtained a Corsair 650TX and a Lian Li case.

I moved the motherboard to the new case and installed the psu. Then I installed my GTX 240. I turned the system on. the CPU fan went on but nothing on the screen.

I removed the GTX 240 and plugged the monitor into the motherboards internal gpu. Nothing appeared on the screen.

How can I tell where the problem. The case came with a tiny speaker, but I don't see where plug it into motherboard.

The only things plugged into the motherboard at the moment are:

24-pin power connector from psu
4-pin pwer connector from psu
CPU fan (I never uninstalled that)
4 memory sticks (I never uninstalled them)

Help!
a c 471 V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 11:49:41 PM

dont forget to plug in the video card power and the 4 pin white connector on the top left side of the mb. with the mb check that the metal standoff and not shorting out the mb and that the i/o shield not shorting the mb out. take a look and check that the mb is not grounding out to the case.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 12:01:11 AM

smorizio said:
dont forget to plug in the video card power and the 4 pin white connector on the top left side of the mb. with the mb check that the metal standoff and not shorting out the mb and that the i/o shield not shorting the mb out. take a look and check that the mb is not grounding out to the case.



How do I check that the metal standoff and the i/o shield are not shorting out the mb, and that the mb is not grounding out to the case?
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 12:40:22 AM

I took the motherboard out of the case and put in on wooden table. It still did no work.

I plugged in the old psu. IT WORKED!

It must be a defective Corsair psu, right?
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 1:42:32 AM

Anyone?
m
0
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
May 25, 2012 1:45:37 AM

might be...gogole power supply green wire bypass. or green wire jump starting power supply. with the new ps out of the case and just a fan connected see if the green wire makes the ps come on..dont connect to anything other then the fan and use a long cord in case the ps has a dead short..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwJk4yCbw4
it could zapp like that if there a bad cap.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 1:57:17 AM

Tried the green wire bypass and the fan went on. But I already knew that psu had the ability to turn on the CPU fan as well as the fan on the GTX 240. It just won't "post" or "boot" or whatever the proper term is.

Is there anything else I can do? I am ready to put the mobo back into the old case with the old psu and to return Corsair to Newegg or Corsair (which is the better way to go?)
m
0
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
May 25, 2012 2:14:05 AM

if under 30 days new egg. if over 30 days the ps vendor. unless you have a volt meter and can read each leg of the ps or have someone with a ps load tester. there no real way to tell what wrong with the ps. one thing before you call the rma in check the 24 pin atx cable. (old and new ps look to see if there wired the same..color wire and spacers. it hit me that some older mb from dell and hp used to use there own power supply there were wire so that an off the shelf ps would not work.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 2:28:31 AM

The Dell is a Studio 540 from 2008.

The Dell psu connector has two black wires and two dull yellow wires.

The Corsair psu connector has two black wires and two that are half black half yellow.
m
0
l
a c 221 V Motherboard
May 25, 2012 4:13:32 AM

ratsa said:
The Dell is a Studio 540 from 2008.

The Dell psu connector has two black wires and two dull yellow wires.

The Corsair psu connector has two black wires and two that are half black half yellow.

From your problem description it seems like the CPU isn't receiving any power.

Have you tried each half of the 4+4 EPS CPU power connector cable in the 4-pin CPU power socket on the motherboard?
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 4:22:18 AM

ko888 said:
From your problem description it seems like the CPU isn't receiving any power.

Have you tried each half of the 4+4 EPS CPU power connector cable in the 4-pin CPU power socket on the motherboard?


Yes, I tried each half of the 4+4 EPS CPU power connector cable.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 221 V Motherboard
May 25, 2012 5:00:23 AM

The TX650 V2 has its share of DOAs if you look at Newegg.com's Customer Reviews for that PSU.

I would take a multimeter and measure the voltage on the 4+4 pin EPS CPU power connectors to confirm that they are supplying something within specs.
Share
May 25, 2012 10:00:07 PM

ko888 said:


I would take a multimeter and measure the voltage on the 4+4 pin EPS CPU power connectors to confirm that they are supplying something within specs.


That's probably a good idea if I had a multimeter.

I called Corsair and they agreed it is probably defective.

I will send back. I spend hours last night putting the old PC back together and I want the next PSU to work.
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 12:51:23 AM

Best answer selected by ratsa.
m
0
l
!