Using MediaNet and connecting laptop via bluetooth

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have a Nokia 6230. I'm trying to connect my laptop
to the internet. I have read and read the postings from
2004 (few are current) so I don't know if I'm chasing my tail,
can't get anything to work.. I'm not sure if I have
to set the GPRS modem settings on my PHONE to wap.cingular,
isp.cingular, what username and password to use from
my laptop, etc.

I also don't know if my ACCOUNT status is a problem...
I'm running on their "free 1 month trial" now, is that
part of my problem? I CAN browse with my phone, shouldn't
that give me the ability to connect my laptop?

Thanks for your help everyone!

-Brendan
12 answers Last reply
More about using medianet connecting laptop bluetooth
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <1123100057.671749.323980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I have a Nokia 6230. I'm trying to connect my laptop
    > to the internet. I have read and read the postings from
    > 2004 (few are current) so I don't know if I'm chasing my tail,
    > can't get anything to work.. I'm not sure if I have
    > to set the GPRS modem settings on my PHONE to wap.cingular,
    > isp.cingular, what username and password to use from
    > my laptop, etc.

    I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have
    to be reconnected. Still, it's neat to be able to go online while in a
    car driving across the country, even if very intermittendly.

    If you look for posts here with my name, you should be able to find one
    by a helpful person responding to my questions, a couple of weeks back,
    with a pointer to a web site that has detailed information of the sort
    you are asking for.

    If you can't find it, post again and I'll see if I can provide the
    information from my current configuration.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to email
    Also remove .invalid
    www.daviddfriedman.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <1123100057.671749.323980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 3 Aug 2005
    13:14:17 -0700, "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have a Nokia 6230. I'm trying to connect my laptop
    >to the internet. I have read and read the postings from
    >2004 (few are current) so I don't know if I'm chasing my tail,
    >can't get anything to work.. I'm not sure if I have
    >to set the GPRS modem settings on my PHONE to wap.cingular,
    >isp.cingular, what username and password to use from
    >my laptop, etc.

    With MEdia Net, it's wap.cingular

    >I also don't know if my ACCOUNT status is a problem...

    Perhaps.

    >I'm running on their "free 1 month trial" now, is that
    >part of my problem?

    No.

    >I CAN browse with my phone, shouldn't
    >that give me the ability to connect my laptop?

    Yes.

    See my webpage at <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/media.htm>.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Thanks for your assistance and your web page. Wasn't sure what WAS
    current info or what was outdated on the web.

    I don't have it running yet but I have gotten a step closer. I now get
    a connection after dialing
    and it says "Registering your computer on the network" (Windows XP of
    course) then I get
    an Error 734: The PPP linke control protocol was terminated and on my
    phone for a second
    it flashes "Subscribe to GPRS first". Now I thought I had GPRS/Edge
    enabled due to my
    proof I was online and viewing webpages "for free" durring my one month
    free trial?
    Do I actually have to sign up for the $19.95/mo plan to get them to
    properly activate my account?
    Or can I call up and ask for GPRS to be enabled without paying yet?

    Thanks for the guidance, I figure Cingular support is likely to be no
    help unless I know EXACTLY
    what to ask for.

    -B
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <ddfr-1443F1.00015104082005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Thu, 04 Aug 2005
    00:01:51 -0500, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

    >In article <1123100057.671749.323980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Nokia 6230. I'm trying to connect my laptop
    >> to the internet. I have read and read the postings from
    >> 2004 (few are current) so I don't know if I'm chasing my tail,
    >> can't get anything to work.. I'm not sure if I have
    >> to set the GPRS modem settings on my PHONE to wap.cingular,
    >> isp.cingular, what username and password to use from
    >> my laptop, etc.
    >
    >I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    >work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have
    >to be reconnected. ...

    Then you have some sort of problem -- GPRS (and EDGE) work quite well most of
    the time.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <1123146108.979357.57290@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the guidance, I figure Cingular support is likely to be no
    > help unless I know EXACTLY
    > what to ask for.

    If I correctly interpret their policy, they will be no help even if you
    know exactly what to ask for. They are apparently trying to discourage
    what you want to do, on the theory that you will then buy the much more
    expensive version of the service ($80/month instead of $20/month for
    unlimited usage, if I remember correctly) that is intended to be used
    with laptops.

    When I finally got through to a Cingular tech who appeared to understand
    the situation, he made it clear that they didn't support what I was
    trying to do--previous Cingular people had claimed that it couldn't be
    done. I asked if that meant that I had to go to the web to figure out
    how to do it, and he wished me good luck.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to email
    Also remove .invalid
    www.daviddfriedman.com
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <t5iIe.7386$p%3.34504@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > >I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    > >work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have
    > >to be reconnected. ...
    >
    > Then you have some sort of problem -- GPRS (and EDGE) work quite well most of
    > the time.
    >

    Part of the problem is doing it in a moving vehicle, I suspect.

    But even standing still in an area with good cell reception, it seems to
    have a tendency to drop connections. I figured out how to make it
    work--I think due in part to your helpful posts--shortly before leaving
    on the current trip, so haven't done a lot of experimentation sitting
    still.

    Any suggestions of things I should check? It is using GPRS--at least,
    that's what the cell phone says when connecting. I haven't timed it, but
    it feels slower than a standard modem connection, not faster.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to email
    Also remove .invalid
    www.daviddfriedman.com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <ddfr-FB00A3.10203804082005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
    David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

    > In article <t5iIe.7386$p%3.34504@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    > > >I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    > > >work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have
    > > >to be reconnected. ...
    > >
    > > Then you have some sort of problem -- GPRS (and EDGE) work quite well most
    > > of
    > > the time.
    > >
    >
    > Part of the problem is doing it in a moving vehicle, I suspect.
    >
    > But even standing still in an area with good cell reception, it seems to
    > have a tendency to drop connections. I figured out how to make it
    > work--I think due in part to your helpful posts--shortly before leaving
    > on the current trip, so haven't done a lot of experimentation sitting
    > still.
    >
    > Any suggestions of things I should check? It is using GPRS--at least,
    > that's what the cell phone says when connecting. I haven't timed it, but
    > it feels slower than a standard modem connection, not faster.


    A few settings that might be relevant:

    Enable Error Correction and Compression in Moden: Off
    Modem: Nokia GPRS 57.6K C1D1

    Do you know if either should be changed?

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to email
    Also remove .invalid
    www.daviddfriedman.com
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <ddfr-2AEE2A.12423804082005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
    David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

    > In article <ddfr-FB00A3.10203804082005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
    > David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <t5iIe.7386$p%3.34504@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > >I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    > > > >work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have
    > > > >to be reconnected. ...
    > > >
    > > > Then you have some sort of problem -- GPRS (and EDGE) work quite well
    > > > most
    > > > of
    > > > the time.
    > > >
    > >
    > > Part of the problem is doing it in a moving vehicle, I suspect.
    > >
    > > But even standing still in an area with good cell reception, it seems to
    > > have a tendency to drop connections. I figured out how to make it
    > > work--I think due in part to your helpful posts--shortly before leaving
    > > on the current trip, so haven't done a lot of experimentation sitting
    > > still.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions of things I should check? It is using GPRS--at least,
    > > that's what the cell phone says when connecting. I haven't timed it, but
    > > it feels slower than a standard modem connection, not faster.
    >
    >
    > A few settings that might be relevant:
    >
    > Enable Error Correction and Compression in Moden: Off
    > Modem: Nokia GPRS 57.6K C1D1
    >
    > Do you know if either should be changed?

    I've now switched to Nokia GPRS C1D1. It works, and I think faster,
    although I haven't had a chance for much testing. I tried several other
    modem settings that didn't connect at all.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to email
    Also remove .invalid
    www.daviddfriedman.com
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    > 00:01:51 -0500, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

    >>I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    >>work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have

    > Then you have some sort of problem -- GPRS (and EDGE) work quite well
    > most of the time.

    "Slow" would depend on what was expected.

    I have followed John's web page, and I was connected today for several
    hours, surfing at a screaming 2.9KBps. This is in an area that only has
    GPRS, not EDGE. In the EDGE-enabled areas, I am seeing 6-8KBpS download,
    and 3.5-3.8KBpS upload.

    I do get disconnects in marginal signal areas. Sometimes when I get
    disconnected, I find that the voice service has now roamed to another
    carrier.

    This is with a Motorola V551 on Cingular, running bluetooth at 230K link
    speed.

    A Google search of alt.cingular.cellular for "EDGE/GPRS Shootout: V551,
    GC82, Z600" from John Navas. http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1DB23E8B

    --
    ---
    Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <1123146108.979357.57290@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 4 Aug 2005
    02:01:49 -0700, "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for your assistance and your web page. Wasn't sure what WAS
    >current info or what was outdated on the web.
    >
    >I don't have it running yet but I have gotten a step closer. I now get
    >a connection after dialing
    >and it says "Registering your computer on the network" (Windows XP of
    >course) then I get
    >an Error 734: The PPP linke control protocol was terminated and on my
    >phone for a second
    >it flashes "Subscribe to GPRS first". Now I thought I had GPRS/Edge
    >enabled due to my
    >proof I was online and viewing webpages "for free" durring my one month
    >free trial?
    >Do I actually have to sign up for the $19.95/mo plan to get them to
    >properly activate my account?
    >Or can I call up and ask for GPRS to be enabled without paying yet?
    >
    >Thanks for the guidance, I figure Cingular support is likely to be no
    >help unless I know EXACTLY
    >what to ask for.

    Ask to have pay-as-you-go Wireless Internet Express activated.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <ddfr-2AEE2A.12423804082005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Thu, 04 Aug 2005
    12:42:40 -0500, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

    >A few settings that might be relevant:
    >
    >Enable Error Correction and Compression in Moden: Off
    >Modem: Nokia GPRS 57.6K C1D1
    >
    >Do you know if either should be changed?

    I'm not familiar with Nokia settings.
    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <ddfr-FB00A3.10203804082005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Thu, 04 Aug 2005
    10:20:38 -0500, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

    >In article <t5iIe.7386$p%3.34504@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >> >I have successfully done what you describe, but I haven't gotten it to
    >> >work very well--the connection is slow, and tends to disconnect and have
    >> >to be reconnected. ...
    >>
    >> Then you have some sort of problem -- GPRS (and EDGE) work quite well most of
    >> the time.
    >
    >Part of the problem is doing it in a moving vehicle, I suspect.

    FWIW, I haven't had a problem keeping GPRS or EGPRS connections while in a
    moving car or boat. Speed of course varies with signal strength, but is
    generally pretty good (here in Northern California).

    >But even standing still in an area with good cell reception, it seems to
    >have a tendency to drop connections.

    Sounds like it might be defective.

    >I figured out how to make it
    >work--I think due in part to your helpful posts--shortly before leaving
    >on the current trip, so haven't done a lot of experimentation sitting
    >still.
    >
    >Any suggestions of things I should check? It is using GPRS--at least,
    >that's what the cell phone says when connecting. I haven't timed it, but
    >it feels slower than a standard modem connection, not faster.

    I suggest you test the actual connection speed.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
Ask a new question

Read More

Cingular Laptops Internet Service Providers