My Powershot

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 12, 2005 10:36:16 PM

Hi

I just purchased a Powershot A310, refurbished. I just got new AA batteries
and have been playing around with the camera for around 1/2 hour..learning
the features and stuff. The camera is now telling me to change the
batteries after 1/2 hr of use, and then it shuts down completley. The
batteries are still good as it powers up my CD & MP3 players with ease and
with al kinds of battery life left.

This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
bringing this back ASAP?

thanks

More about : powershot

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:36:17 PM

Bacchus wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just purchased a Powershot A310, refurbished. I just got new AA batteries
> and have been playing around with the camera for around 1/2 hour..learning
> the features and stuff. The camera is now telling me to change the
> batteries after 1/2 hr of use, and then it shuts down completley. The
> batteries are still good as it powers up my CD & MP3 players with ease and
> with al kinds of battery life left.
>
> This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
> bringing this back ASAP?

If you're using regular non rechargeable batteries, this is normal
for digital camera use. Regular batteries have a higher internal
resistance which gives them a less than desireable discharge curve.

Get yourself some Nickle Metal Hydride batteries and a charger. Not
only will the batteries last *much* longer, but you'll save money in
the long run by not having to buy more batteries.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:51:25 PM

"Bacchus" <kdoye2112@hotmail.com> writes:

> I just purchased a Powershot A310, refurbished. I just got new AA batteries
> and have been playing around with the camera for around 1/2 hour..learning
> the features and stuff. The camera is now telling me to change the
> batteries after 1/2 hr of use, and then it shuts down completley. The
> batteries are still good as it powers up my CD & MP3 players with ease and
> with al kinds of battery life left.
>
> This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
> bringing this back ASAP?

If you're using alkaline AAs in a camera the vintage of the A310, it's
quite likely normal behavior. Alkaline batteries can't support the
high current draw of these cameras except at the *very* beginning of
the battery's life, so they will fail to run the camera when they
still have plenty of power for less demanding uses, just as you
noticed.

Half an hour is about what I'd get from alkaline batteries in my old
Epson 850. NiMH rechargables (which is what that camera came with)
will last a LOT longer. Lithium primary batteries will also last
longer, but they're pretty expensive (I keep a set for emergency
backup, since they store a lot better than NiMH).
July 13, 2005 11:21:08 PM

Now my camera is not handling the ac adpatar I have for it.

--
Kevin Oye
Oye's Outlet

<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/&gt;