Sign in with
Your question

Laptop keeps disconnecting from Network SAYING DNS PROBLEMS

Last response: in Components
September 15, 2012 9:39:43 PM

MY LAB TOP KEEP DISCONNECTING FROM MY NETWORK IT KEEPS SAYING ITS A DNS PROBLEM OR IP ADRESS
September 15, 2012 9:54:37 PM

Restart the whole network.

Disconnect the power cord from all the devices. Then plug the first device's power cable back in, wait till it is booted up, then plug in the 2nd device's power cable, and so on until everything is powered up again.

See if that makes a difference.

BTW, problems like this can happen if you have multiple computers with some going in and out of sleep mode and the others going in and out of a completely powered off state.

When a PC is in sleep mode it keeps prior configuration information saved so it tries to use the same IP when it starts back up. If you turned on a computer while one was in sleep mode the router might give the ostensibly free IP to the newly turned on PC. When you take the other one out of sleep mode then you would have 2 of them trying to use the same IP. Thus would you get that sort of conflict.

If you just restart whatever devices are involved the problem usually sorts itself out.

When that fails to work, resetting the whole network often does the trick.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2012 9:03:50 PM

Raiddinn said:

When a PC is in sleep mode it keeps prior configuration information saved so it tries to use the same IP when it starts back up. If you turned on a computer while one was in sleep mode the router might give the ostensibly free IP to the newly turned on PC.

Only if you have ridiculously short lease time settings on whatever is performing DHCP.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 9:34:19 PM

Not true.

It happens to me and I haven't shortened my lease time from the default setting.

The longer a computer is sleeping, the more likely it is to happen, though.

We have 2 computers we use every day and a laptop we almost never use, when that laptop gets woken up, it sometimes causes conflicts.

The longer you go without using some sleepy device, the more likely it is to happen.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2012 9:56:26 PM

Raiddinn said:
Not true.

It happens to me and I haven't shortened my lease time from the default setting.

The longer a computer is sleeping, the more likely it is to happen, though.

We have 2 computers we use every day and a laptop we almost never use, when that laptop gets woken up, it sometimes causes conflicts.

The longer you go without using some sleepy device, the more likely it is to happen.

Of course the longer the device is asleep the more likely it is to happen .... because the lease has run out!

Nearly every consumer router I have seen has default lease times of 24 - 48Hrs

Powered off devices will request a new assignment when they start up = DORA
m
l
September 21, 2012 9:57:42 PM

I have been having some DNS issues at home lately. Try changing your DNS server to google's DNS server.

Just google, "google DNS" it should be at the top of the list. The website has good instructions on how to change it even if you have never been to the network settings tab before.
m
l
!