Your question

Radeon HD 7850

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2012 2:50:17 AM

Is anybody using a Radeon HD 7850 yet? Any problems worth mentioning?

Thanks,
lunchbeast

More about : radeon 7850

March 24, 2012 9:53:26 AM

I got a gigabyte hd 7850 2gb Oc...
and so far its nothing but trouble
Mass Effect 3 pixel distortion little whitish/grayish spares and the driver fails at least every 2 minutes. runs on maximum with over 60 fps
Just Cause 2 texture anomaly's (pink lila and green spares) over 70fps
Metro 2033 driver fails in the menu
Skyrim blinking trees and pyramid distortion on the ground (ultra/texture packs 65fps)
on my desktop and video playback i got artifacts

i tried every driver, even re-install`d my entire pc and nothing.
but at least the game`s run and run good, but i think my card is seriously broken.

the gigabyte is a bit loud (vibration on fan mount & fins) OVER 40dbz but its cool idle 26-30°C and under full load just over 55°C.

Izuma, Germany
m
l
March 24, 2012 10:50:54 AM

That sounds a lot like a dodgy card more then driver problems
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2012 11:02:06 AM

Don't know. I remember reading about reviewers having issues with their 7850s. Check out toms or anands review. I think they complained about the same type of thing.
m
l
March 24, 2012 11:13:19 AM

yes but they had pre release samples, my card is a full retail (checked with amd).
but the cooling unit on the gigabyte is a piece of s***. my friends got the same card, they dont have my problems but the sound from the cooler goes over 50dbz an not normal fan/air noise, its more like a fast steady click click click.
m
l
March 24, 2012 3:30:31 PM

No problems once I got the driver installed. Which was a bit unusual. Normally you get "New hardware detected insert CD" type message but this one just came up with unknown VGA with yellow warning. I had to manually go into device manager and force a driver update, and point it to the CD. Probably would have been smoother if I wiped all the drivers first, but too lazy for that.

I had preinstalled Catalyst 12.2 thinking it would be a easy swap and re-detect.

The bigger problem I had was the 360W Dell PS was no longer enough to boot the system (6850 ran fine). I upgraded to a 750W Antec.

MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GDS (first model I could find in stock anywhere)
m
l
March 28, 2012 6:57:48 PM

izuma said:
I got a gigabyte hd 7850 2gb Oc...
and so far its nothing but trouble
Mass Effect 3 pixel distortion little whitish/grayish spares and the driver fails at least every 2 minutes. runs on maximum with over 60 fps
Just Cause 2 texture anomaly's (pink lila and green spares) over 70fps
Metro 2033 driver fails in the menu
Skyrim blinking trees and pyramid distortion on the ground (ultra/texture packs 65fps)
on my desktop and video playback i got artifacts

i tried every driver, even re-install`d my entire pc and nothing.
but at least the game`s run and run good, but i think my card is seriously broken.

the gigabyte is a bit loud (vibration on fan mount & fins) OVER 40dbz but its cool idle 26-30°C and under full load just over 55°C.

Izuma, Germany

I have the Power Color 7850.
I have the same issues you have. I playbalot of X-Plane 10 and i get these "green/purple/bluish spares, flares of glitches" All the time over the scenery and plane. I hope that its only a driver problem and not a problem with the card itself.

m
l
April 1, 2012 2:58:46 PM

I own the MSI model of the 7850 and have been using it on every game imaginable for the last few days and its running great! I've yet to experience a single problem with it so far. I also have no problems maxing out Metro 2033/Battlefield3/Crysis 1,2, and cry engine 3 at Max settings in 1080p I've never seen any of the above games drop below 40fps even with fraps they never go below 30fps!

I've got my overclocked to the highest settings that MSI afterburner lets me push it too and it never gets hotter then 65C under load.
m
l
April 9, 2012 9:02:10 AM

Thank you guys. Now I can't completely forget about AMD. Can't wait for Gtx670/660ti.
m
l
April 11, 2012 3:43:22 PM

I have a Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb OC. The problem with this card however seems to be an annoying buzzing/vibration sound caused by the fan not being tight enough to the card (or whatever it was described as, doesn't make a difference to me). For me, this noise happens occasionally and for the most part I just ignore it, but if I ever want to get rid of it, I'll just follow these steps, which appear to be relatively simple and quick to do.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing-GIGABYTE-GV-R785O...
I only run games at 1680x1050, (with a Thuban x6 1055t OCed to 3.4) but I've had it run around 90% (peaked at 99% for a second) on a few games, although not for a very long time, and I've never, ever seen it hit 50C. It runs everything on Maxed, although I had to turn off AA on Borderlands to get 60 fps everywhere.

Also, when its not making the annoying noise, its dead silent (compared to the rest of the stuff in my case). It may be ugly to some people, but I didn't buy it to look good, I bought it because it would run with low power consumption, temperatures and noise level. I'd give it a 4.5/5 as meeting my expectations, because of the occasional noise problem.
m
l
!