Zoom PC Card vs Latitude E6510

dlemos0313

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to connect a Zoom PC card (model 3075) to a DELL Latitude E6510, running Windows XP. I am able to install the drivers and see the modem, but when is time to query the modem I get the following error message. "The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set." I did try a different PC card and then I tried a different machine (also E6510) and with the same results, so I finally tried a DELL Latitude D830 and it worked, but I really need to use the PC card on the E6510 model. Do anyone know a solution to my problem?

dlemos0313

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
If a customer has a PCMCIA device that does not work in Windows XP (but works in Vista or 7) on the Latitude E2 series, the issue could be a problem with IRQ mapping in the new E2 series systems; in XP, if the IRQ is in the Legacy range (1-15), the card will appear to be recognized by Windows but will not function properly. The PCMCIA device should be on the same IRQ as the PCMCIA controller to function correctly.

In Windows XP, make the following change to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters

Add IrqRoutetoPCIController as a DWORD Value, change the value to 8 (HEX).

To deploy across multiple systems, create a notepad file with the following in it, then save as PCMCIAfix.reg.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters]
"IrqRouteToPciController"=dword:00000008

Note: This may not resolve all PCMCIA issues in XP.

Thanks to James Vance, DELL's Technical Analyst, for this solution!