Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1,200 Budget Gaming PC (Final Review)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 25, 2012 1:03:06 AM

Below lies my expected purchases for a gaming rig I've been working on with a friend, but I haven't yet had any outside opinions on any possible (or needed) changes to the lineup. Any help (whether it be a suggestion or a perceived danger) is greatly appreciated!

Subtotal = $1,160.89

-------------------------------------------
($39.00)
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-------------------------------------------
($149.99)
MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
--------------------------------------------
($409.99)
MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
----------------------------------------------
($39.99)
APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - OEM
------------------------------------------------
($294.99)
Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
-------------------------------------------------
($46.99)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
--------------------------------------------------
($69.99)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
--------------------------------------------------
($14.99)
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM
-------------------------------------------
($58.99)
D-Link DWA-556 PCI Express Xtreme Desktop Adapter
------------------------------------------
($27.99)
COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
------------------------------------------
($6.99)
Rosewill RCA-1204BK 120mm Sleeve Black Case Fan, 4/PK
---------------------------------------

More about : 200 budget gaming final review

May 25, 2012 1:48:29 AM

Wouldn't the I7 overclocked raise the performance exceptionally more than the I5? I'm terrible at CPU's so please excuse the ignorance =p
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 3:44:13 AM

Don't get the i7 for gaming. It's a waste of money. Plus you picked the non-K version which doesn't OC.

Get an i5-3570K, it will go good with the Z77 board you picked.

Also, DO NOT get that PSU. Don't skimp on a PSU, especially on a high quality build with good components. Drop to an i5 IB and use the cash to upgrade to a Corsair, seasonic or XFX PSU like one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 3:52:51 AM

Quote:
($58.99)
D-Link DWA-556 PCI Express Xtreme Desktop Adapter


why?

its not a lappy run a cable to it . .
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 4:29:55 AM

Anonymous said:
Quote:
($58.99)
D-Link DWA-556 PCI Express Xtreme Desktop Adapter


why?

its not a lappy run a cable to it . .




Unfortunately I'll be using University internet, so a wired network is improbable </3. Such a waste of good money, right?
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 4:31:10 AM

cranked said:
Don't get the i7 for gaming. It's a waste of money. Plus you picked the non-K version which doesn't OC.

Get an i5-3570K, it will go good with the Z77 board you picked.

Also, DO NOT get that PSU. Don't skimp on a PSU, especially on a high quality build with good components. Drop to an i5 IB and use the cash to upgrade to a Corsair, seasonic or XFX PSU like one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Thank you very much, sir =)
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 4:51:02 AM

nklein582 said:
Unfortunately I'll be using University internet, so a wired network is improbable </3. Such a waste of good money, right?

why not:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB $209.99
WiFi IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n (supported by GC-WB300D )

along with other goodies for about the same price as the mobo and wifi you have now..

m
0
l
May 25, 2012 5:01:17 AM

Anonymous said:
why not:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB $209.99
WiFi IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n (supported by GC-WB300D )

along with other goodies for about the same price as the mobo and wifi you have now..



Wow. Didn't see a Motherboard w/ integrated wireless with good enough reviews. Thank you, kind sir.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 5:16:05 AM

Your university doesn't have wired connection - you positive? what a jip!

Get the 3570k (if you plan on overclocking, if not get the 3550 and no cpu cooler - useless if you don't overclock), and a better PSU!!! Do not cheap out on this part - you can fry your motherboard, gpu, and more if it turns out to be bad. Stick with 80+ bronze or better and good brands like Corsair, seasonic, xfx.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 5:17:05 AM

nklein582 said:
Wow. Didn't see a Motherboard w/ integrated wireless with good enough reviews. Thank you, kind sir.

it is not really integrated like an onboard chip, it uses a PCI x1 slot, whereas some very expensive asus boards have a slot back at the I/O panel.

still it is a good board with more usb3, sata 6Gbs, mSata, display port and bluetooth. :ouch: 
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 5:51:43 AM

:bounce:  Need heatsink help! :bounce: 

Here is an updated version taking everything into consideration....

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

----------------------------------------
GPU: MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-----------------------

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

-----------------------


MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

---------------------------------

Heatsink: I need a compatible heatsink for the I5 ivy bridge 3570k.
------------------------------------



IHD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive


---------------------------

Case: Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

--------------------------

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL


-----------------------

$23 Worth of fans and DVD drive...



Subtotal (without a heatsink): $1,128.91
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 11:43:44 AM

+1^

Get the Hyper 212 EVO.

And make sure that RAM you get does NOT have heatsinks on it. You will have problems with it running into the larger aftermarket coolers if you do.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 1:32:54 PM

According to Newegg, I can get $1.00 back instantly if I purchase the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $33.99 . What a snag!

Thank you very much for the help. I'm pretty sure everything's figured out and the minute detail taken by everyone is surely appreciated.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 2:21:49 PM

elayman said:
Your university doesn't have wired connection - you positive? what a jip!

Get the 3570k (if you plan on overclocking, if not get the 3550 and no cpu cooler - useless if you don't overclock), and a better PSU!!! Do not cheap out on this part - you can fry your motherboard, gpu, and more if it turns out to be bad. Stick with 80+ bronze or better and good brands like Corsair, seasonic, xfx.



Considering I'll be paying a whopping $16,000 for the year, I agree!
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 2:21:58 PM

elayman said:
Your university doesn't have wired connection - you positive? what a jip!

Get the 3570k (if you plan on overclocking, if not get the 3550 and no cpu cooler - useless if you don't overclock), and a better PSU!!! Do not cheap out on this part - you can fry your motherboard, gpu, and more if it turns out to be bad. Stick with 80+ bronze or better and good brands like Corsair, seasonic, xfx.



Considering I'll be paying a whopping $16,000 for the year, I agree!
m
0
l
!