New to computer builds, can't decide on a processor.

lostrockstar

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Next 2 weeks.

Budget Range: 500-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Music instrument recording/editing in pro tools software, Gaming (Blizzard games mainly.), media streaming to TV.

Parts Not Required: Tower parts only are required.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Ncix.com, I live very closeby. (Can pricematch with other sources.)

Parts Preferences: Considered AMD for price, but I'd go intel if it would be better for my purposes, and budget.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024 is as high as I'll be able to go until I get a new monitor, using an old Dell monitor.

Additional Comments: I posted before reading the sticky, as I posted from the main page itself. I edited this post to include everything, but my original post will be below:

I've done some in depth research the last few weeks regarding a computer, as I realized it would be far best to build my own. I originally started with the consideration of an AMD FX-8150, though I became swayed after reading the reviews, and scores vs intel chips.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to needing a processor that will be able to handle music recording software easily, as I'll be using pro tools and audio recording equipment for guitar, vocals etc as a side project for a band. however, I'm still a gamer and want a system that can play games decently though I'm mostly right now looking to play Diablo 3 with high settings smoothly. I've always had computers that crawl at games, and the last PC I owned was a pentium 4 dual core about 5 years ago.

Price wise, I would like to spend the least for the most. I considered waiting longer to buy an i7-3770, as I don't intend to overclock. Though I could pick up an i5-3570K(I think it is.) or 2500 for a bit cheaper. I'm mostly just wondering if for what I need, I should wait longer and get the i7 or if the i5's would be more than enough. (I do plan on upgrading with a gpu.)

Alternate best cost value suggestions would be helpful! Thanks, I hope someone can help out!

lostrockstar

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Well, as long as you understand that the music is recording large sized files from a live guitar feed, with a whole lot of sampling and playback. I'm still apprehensive, as I'm far from an impulse buyer and I usually need a bit more feedback on why it would work for that use.

The more specific of the question I should get into, is that I'm curious if the hyperthreading would help the computer performance, as I'll likely be running multiple programs at the same time dedicated to recording. I'll be playing games here and there, but I want for once to have high settings, and consistant fps as opposed to my old rig that crawled along. I also want something that will last at least a few years, as I'm not looking to frequently upgrade.

It's not unreasonable for me to buy an i7-3770 for 60 dollars more, I just need to know if it would ultiamtely offer more performance for what I'll be doing, or if the i5-3570 would be more than enough.