Life after Socket 1156

santiago7245

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I quickly jumped the gun when the Core I5 750 came out, and it has been good to me. What hasn't been good is the CPU upgrading options.

My Specs.

INTEL CORE I5 750 2.67GHZ @3.8GHZ
ATI 5870 1 GB
MSI CD53 1 PCI EXPRESS 16
GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600
OCZ VERTEX 2 90GB
WD 1GB 7200
Samsung '27 1920x1080

I know Intel has Haswell coming out the 1st half of '13, but what's up with AMD? Is it dumb to invest in AM3+ Mobo's? Should I just wait till '13 and see what both are offering?

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Don't upgrade it. The i5-750 is a perfectly good CPU and is just a few steps behind the 3450. It can still be paired with any GPU and still not bottleneck it.

I suggest you upgrade after Skylake is released.

AMD has been falling way behind in almost every way lately. Rumors are even surfacing that they are going to give up completely on desktops/laptops after they release the next set of chips.

In any event, nothing currently out now has any kind of an upgrade path that I am aware of.

FM1/Llano are dead ended, 1155 dead ended with Ivy Bridge. 1150 and FM2 are where its going to be going forward and neither of those are out yet.

InvalidError

Titan

AMD has given up on trying to catch up on the high-end desktop market, opting to focus on best balance of CPU+IGP instead. I am not expecting AMD to give up on the laptop, x86 tablet, STBs and other markets where APUs are perfectly adequate any time soon.

There is no sense switching over to AMD CPUs at this point in time. If PileDriver can achieve a 10% increase in performance , then that basically places it as fast as a 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPU. What is what you currently have.

If your PC is still fast enough for you, then I suggest waiting until 2013 when Intel's Haswell is going to be released. How much better will it be over Ivy Bridge? Don't know. But since it is a new architecture, I would expect somewhere in between 10% and 15%. Let's just say 12.5% shall we?

InvalidError

Titan

From the preview material, it seems Haswell was heavily optimized for better performance per watt but there were no clear indications of how much of that efficiency can be sacrificed for performance. Haswell might end up only marginally faster but using half as much power.

Intel now thinks its biggest threat is ARM, not AMD.

I have also gathered that the vast majority of the gains from Haswell will be in performance per watt. Not by more performance for the same watts, but by less watts for the same performance.

InvalidError

Titan

Which is not too surprising considering that non-Wintel devices are a triple-digit growth market while conventional desktop is a low to negative growth market. Most people have little to no more interest in more powerful desktop machines.

My younger sister and her boyfriend asked me to put together a shopping list for a mid-range gaming PC because they were starting to have problems with their laptops. A few weeks ago they renewed their cellphone contracts, got Galaxy S3 phones and now they do not care about getting a new PC anymore because they can do everything else they wanted to do online on their phones.

My older sister is pretty much in the same boat: her boyfriend picked up a discarded Thinkcenter PC at his job, asked me to fix it up so they could use it at home for internet but after they upgraded their phones, they never bothered getting internet at home.

I suspect a lot of young non-gamers are in the same boat.

InvalidError

Titan

Haswell's successor (Broadwell) will integrate the IOHub as a multi-chip module CPU which means almost guaranteed new socket.

So the Haswell LGA1150 socket will most likely be a single-generation socket like LGA1156.

InvalidError

Titan

IB-E will be the last CPUs for LGA2011 as well if/when they eventually launch.

So LGA2011 does not have much of an upgrade path worth mentioning. It is only worth buying into if you need its features either right now or in the near future, long before Haswell-E becomes available.

Haswell-E will be DDR4 so yet another new socket there as well.

Basically, every current desktop Intel socket is going to get discontinuation notice within the next year.

Just get whatever CPU makes sense whenever you decide you want to get it replaced.

If you want to replace now then just get what makes sense now.

Don't bother planning too much into the future or in terms of upgrade paths.

I think the vast majority of upgrade planning turns out worthless anyway, because by the time people upgrade they usually don't want whatever was in the original plan anyway.

A FX 8150/8120 compare favorably and for the most part beat a i7 950, if Piledriver is 15% better that doesn't make it first gen i7, they basically hit that mark with Thuban.

Gaming FX 81XX = 8% slower than a Thuban = 8% slower than a i5/i7 SB/IB. A 10% gain in single thread performance will make a FX 83XX roughly 5-7% slower than a SB/IB. But yeah people can over exaggerate all they want.

Hmmm... I haven't seen any preview material. I guess I'll just so a Google search on it later. Too soon to gauge the performance increase over IB anyway.

InvalidError

Titan

The IDF slides say Haswell will have up to 20X lower idle power than Sandy Bridge and largely unchanged pipelines so I would not expect a major performance leap.

Haswell widens the issue ports by two, has deeper out-of-order execution queue, has higher decoder bandwidth and a few other tweaks that may improve IPC but the extra complexity may negatively impact clock speeds. I'm looking forward to seeing how much/little performance the two extra issue ports are going to yield. I bet they are going to be most useful for HT CPUs.

Latest posts