CPU Fan turns off

dlski23

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Just completed my first build. Overall it went O.K. Had a few scares/ hiccups but that could just be the nerves talking. Anyway I noticed only one issue with my motherboard / cpu fan (aftermarket). When I go into bios and adjust any of the fan settings such as switching to a higher rpm the fan just shuts down completely! To fix this I unplug the fan from the motherboard, re plug it in and were good to go. The normal speed of the fan is 840 rpm, with core temps approx at 36-40C.

In addition, if I run a stress test on prime95, the fan also just completely shuts off. I therefore stop the test and allow the fan to start spinning again.

Any idea what could be causing this issue?

Thanks everyone!

dlski23

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Yes it does. I double checked that all the connections were correct and drivers updated. At this point I am not too worried about harming the computer because I don't plan on really straining the CPU. My I.T. guy at work eased my mind, he said basically the heat sink (radiator) is already pulling temperature away from the CPU and the case fans will help dissipate some of that (not to mention the CPU fan stuck on 840 rpm). My next step is to just try getting a replacement fan. See what does.

Regardless if anyone has any ideas or similar problems, I appreciate the feed back.

Thanks for the reply Z1ONLY.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
If the fan turned off at light or no load, I wouldn't be too worried either. But if it turns off under load (prime 95) that's when you need the fan most and it's something I would fix.

You don't want to worry if your computer is going to hurt itself just because you ran an application that loaded it up enough to stop the fan and overheat.

Fans are cheap. I would try replacing the fan with another unit of similar specs.