Sign in with
Your question

Piledriver benches. true or not

Last response: in CPUs
a c 85 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:13:19 AM

I came across this site

http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/09/preview-amd-fx-8350...

What do you guys think? I don't know if i believe it or not. Not because of the results but he's saying piledriver will be the last AMD cpu for the desktop and generally has a bad attitude towards the AMD chips. We all know intel are faster but AMD are not all bad. I remember the good days of AMD(like my AMD 3500+ venice core cpu) and when intel had it's pentium 4 problems.
I want AMD to be able to get back into the game properly because the intel chips are very expensive for some of us and if it was just intel making cpu's they would be even more expensive.
What do you guys think?
a c 78 à CPUs
September 16, 2012 1:22:16 AM

OBR has making unfounded claims for quite some time now, they are a virtually unknown tech site, with absolutely no details as to the true identity of the proprieter/owner of the site nor any indications that he has any qualifications whatsoever, and yet somehow he has made a claim that he has "a top secret AMD memo" that indicates something, that really isn't a secret (about a month ago he said he had evidence that AMD was switching to an APU as their main production line)

As if that wasn't already spelled out in their roadmap that they were planning to do exactly what Intel has already been doing (integrated graphics on-die like Sandy/Ivy Bridge). Wait for a reputable website that people have actually heard of to get sample chips to run benches on.
a c 85 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:30:31 AM

I know we can put a graphics card on a system with an APU but i'm worried that it will change. I love gaming on my computer and don't want a console. I get a bit fed up sometimes of all the AMD bulldozer bashing as i've been gaming for hours today on my so called faildozer and not had any problems, everything has been smooth as silk for me. Also if AMD went down in the future i'm worried the price of intel cpu's would go up and make pc gaming out of my price range:( 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 78 à CPUs
September 16, 2012 1:38:41 AM

Well, the thing about the onboard graphics is they do have their advantages, like I said, Intel is already doing it. But when you install a discrete graphics card, the graphics get disabled (or like Llano and Trinity that AMD already has out, certain graphics card will crossfire with them to increase their power).

But yea, OBR honestly strikes me as a troll. While his benches may not be far off the mark, the fact is, like I said, nobody knows who this guy is, his website has absolutely zero street credibility in comparrison to websites that have been around for years like Tom's Hardware, Hardwareheaven, Thetechspot, AandNTech, HardOCP, etc.

The last time someone mentioned some rumor OBR had started this is what I said. "I can make a website in 5 minutes saying that I have proof the Loch Ness monster exists from a Russian thermal imaging satellite detected him"... Its not that hard to make a website these days lol. Theres so many services out there, (even free ones) that do most of the work for you.

Honestly as far as AMD, it doesn't look good. I'm of the belief that its just a matter of time before AMD files bankruptcy, and theres no serious CPU maker to take their place. Sure theres ARM, but they're nowhere near able to produce a gaming level desktop processor. You should be worried that Intel will press full advantage of having a monopoly of CPUs, everybody should be, in a world where society literally could not survive without computers. Unfortunately, not much we can do about it.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:44:11 AM

His CPU-Z screen shot of the 8350 has a core voltage of 1.440v.

8 cores running at 4.2ghz with 1.440v and a TDP of............124w?

I don't think so.

The CPU-Z screen-shot looks like an overclocked 8150 to me.
a c 78 à CPUs
September 16, 2012 1:46:49 AM

Z1NONLY said:
His CPU-Z screen shot of the 8350 has a core voltage of 1.440v. 8 cores running at 4.2ghz and a TDP of............124w?

I don't think so.

The CPU-Z screen-shot looks like an overclocked 8150 to me.

Uhuh lol... I only glanced at his website, but I saw a comment he made to the affect of "in china you can get anything"... Yea.. its usually cheap knockoffs..... Just sayin :non:  . My ex's father did business in china heavily, was fluent in Cantonese, traveled there many times a year, I know the kind of crap you can get over there for really cheap.
a c 85 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:49:12 AM

Maybe a company like IBM will buy AMD. I believe they could make AMD competitive again. An intel monopoly would be bad in so many ways for all of us. Part of the reason i bought AMD (apart from the money) was to give them some money to keep them afloat. Maybe a little silly of me but i'm still happy with my performance as i'm sure many FX owners are.
a c 85 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:51:40 AM

if an FX owner wants to back me up please do so. If only to stop me worrying..lol
a c 78 à CPUs
September 16, 2012 1:57:44 AM

Almost everybody I've ever talked to on the subject has been happy with their FX 8 core CPUs. While I suppose one could argue "they just don't know what they're missing", but there are at least 2 members on this forum I know of who have both Intel SB and AMD Bulldozer systems, the general consensus I saw from them, while they acknowledge Bulldozer has some weaknesses, for the most part they fill the niche they were bought for just fine.

As far as gaming performance, actually Direct X 11 games, the Bulldozers do pretty well in, slightly better than i7-2600K. Just a lot of games are still being made to older standards with DX 9 and 10, these are the games Bulldozers suffer in, admittedly, occasionally they suffer substantially.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:57:47 AM

I have worked with an FX chip. They're not bad. They just didn't live up to the hype.

Remember, the original Phenom's weren't "all that" either. Hopefully pile driver will do for FX what Phenom II did for Phenom.
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 118 å Intel
a c 121 À AMD
September 16, 2012 4:31:17 AM

jay2577 said:
I get a bit fed up sometimes of all the AMD bulldozer bashing as i've been gaming for hours today on my so called faildozer and not had any problems, everything has been smooth as silk for me.

"Faildozer" is basically due to AMD's over-hyping their own CPU chip. If you are a company producing a product and proclaiming it has "X" performance, then a lot of people are going to expect "X" performance. Unfortunately, the actual performance increase was not "X"; in fact it was a lot lower than "X". Therefore, that product has "failed" to meet expectations.

The consequences? At least two price reductions and laying off (the polite term for firing) the majority of your marketing department.
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 118 å Intel
a c 121 À AMD
September 16, 2012 4:33:41 AM

Just wait for actual benchmarks from a reputable tech site. The release date isn't far off.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 4:40:06 AM

jaguarskx said:
The consequences? At least two price reductions and laying off (the polite term for firing) the majority of your marketing department.

And basically ending whatever chance AMD might have ever had with competing with Intel in raw performance.

AMD will live, but only because APU's will keep them afloat in the budget desktop and mobile market. So far, that's one area (CPU's with strong integrated graphics) that Intel has no real answer for, yet.
a c 78 à CPUs
September 16, 2012 4:45:57 AM

jaguarskx said:

HA.. no wonder Tom's Hardware has an official Intel Marketing rep who posts on the forums and AMD does not. :lol:  :lol: 
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 118 å Intel
a c 121 À AMD
September 16, 2012 5:03:31 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
And basically ending whatever chance AMD might have ever had with competing with Intel in raw performance.

AMD will live, but only because APU's will keep them afloat in the budget desktop and mobile market. So far, that's one area (CPU's with strong integrated graphics) that Intel has no real answer for, yet.

Unfortunately for AMD, Intel is catching up to their IGP performance. While the Intel HD 4000 is no match for the integrated graphics core in the Trinity A10 APU series, it can beat the integrated graphics core in the Trinity A8 APUs. Haswell is looming closer and there has been rumors running around that the IGP in Haswell will be a "performance monster".

It's too early to say what the actual performance increase will be though. The last official word from Intel that I've read was that the focus of Haswell will be improved processing power and reduced power consumption. The IGP will only receive a small performance increase (10%???). I've read others guessing it will be around another 40% increase in performance (like with the Intel HD 4000 vs. the HD 3000).

My guess is a relatively small performance gain for Intel's IGP in Haswell, and a major increase in graphics performance will happen when Broadwell is released in 2014.

AMD needs to kill off socket AM3+ and diversify their business if they want to remain in business 10 - 20 years from now. If they don't do something to turn around their business, then perhaps VIA will buy them out when their business begins to fail. Either that or some private equity firm may decide to acquire them, change their business model around to ensure they will be a viable and profitable company in the near future, and then offer to sell AMD as publicly listed company again.
September 16, 2012 5:26:11 AM

Im still happy with my 955be at 3.8. Sure new i5's are nice but my cpu cost 110$ 7 months ago. Bf3 and skyrim run great paired with a 7850.
!