Solved

Cpu upgrade, what can my system handle.?

ok i want to upgrade my cpu, but not sure if there is even an upgrade from what i have now, without changing the motherboard, any suggestions? help?

i have HPE-elite 410y - phenom II x 6 1045t cpu - 500w corsair PS - motherboard is foxconn alvorix AM3 socket, max TDP 95w. is there a cpu upgrade from what i have or is that the top due to max TDP.. thanks for any feedback.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade system handle
  1. ss202sl said:

Um, what? You could increase performance with either a AMD Phenom II 980 BE, or Phenom II 1100T. Both are pretty hard to find new right now, but are decently priced on eBay. The 980 is a quad core, and the 1100T is a six core, like what you currently have. If you prefer to buy new, the 965 BE (Quad Core) is available new on newegg however.
  2. Actually, the 1100T might not work. Its a 125 Watt processor, and his motherboard is limited to just 95W. Additionally, HP states clear as day on their website their supported processors for upgrades, and the 1100T is NOT one of them. Same with the 980 BE and 965 BE.

So, ss202sl is right.

I mean, sure you can throw in a 125 watt part and see if it works... but is the risk worth it?
  3. There is the 1065T
  4. Best answer
    Its the best you can do the 125W dont go with that board.

Why do you want to upgrade it are you sure any performance issue is CPU related? (thats still a decent CPU)
  5. Best answer selected by octashoo.
  6. wr6133 said:
    Its the best you can do the 125W dont go with that board.

Why do you want to upgrade it are you sure any performance issue is CPU related? (thats still a decent CPU)

because I have a "cheap" laptop with a intel i7-2670qm, that seems to kick it's butt, and I am saddened, that after putting in a radeon sapphire 6850HD, on top of my phenom IIx6, that my relatively "cheap" laptop can kick its butt.. :(

all benchmarks pretty much show it kicking its butt too. :(

I just want to hammer away in photoshop (use dynamic brushes of any kind, with multiple layers, on a 300dpi 8x11 docs, and not have any lagginess) desktop has lagginess, laptop nope. WTF!?

My desktop with the phenom has 8G ram, and I run a gadget monitor, and never see anything really use more than 60 or at most even 70% of my ram, and that's with multiple programs running at once, so that doesn't seem to be the reason for poor performance in photoshop.

I am considering doubling my RAM, but not sure if i should or if it's even worth it.
  7. get a am3+ motherboard that supports 125watt, oc and has potential to upgrade to piledriver.
  8. lazyboy947 said:
    get a am3+ motherboard that supports 125watt, oc and has potential to upgrade to piledriver.

I can change a GPU, power supply, ram, but a motherboard swap? sounds intimidating.
  9. its not bad just get mounted right without over tightening the screws and get the io shield on and rest is just putting the rest together, and if its a hp desktop then a new motherboard might not be an option as some parts are proprietary, so maybe a new case. a personally i would never buy a foxxcon motherboard

I find cpu swap and reapplying thermal paste more intimidating lol

But an am3+ gives option for piledriver and 125watt cpus, cheapest decent brand is prob a asus m5a78l mx plus or something like that. its like $60 but only has 2 slots for ram

i got a 1055, and urs should be just fine yet unless ur looking to OC as non BE, so i think it'd be a waste to spend for a non production 1100t or high end x4.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards