Tags:
  • Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2012 3:39:09 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any advice on a $700 budget gaming build that I'm building almost completely from scratch. I've always wanted to build my own PC ever since I was young, and I have the money to do it now so I think the time is right.

If anyone could give advice, it would be greatly appreciated! Here is the basic info:

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next week or so (May 24 – June 4)

Budget Range: somewhat flexible, but I want to keep it under $700 or $750, after rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
- RTS games like Dawn of War I & II, AOE3, Rise of Nations, etc.;
- I also want the ability to play more demanding games like Skyrim, Starcraft II, Crysis, etc.;
- web surfing;
- occasionally some Photoshop but nothing real intense

Parts Not Required: I already have a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. Other than that, I am starting completely from scratch.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg primarily, but whatever is cheapest

Parts Preferences: No preference for brand or type. I went with i3-2120 and HD 6850 for value.

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: I don't know much about this. I’d like to play at 1920x1080 if possible.

Additional Comments
: I would like a window in the case, maybe some glowing fans or something too; obviously I’d prefer it to be as quiet as possible. Overall, I’m looking for the best value for my money.

Here's my proposed build:

PCPartPicker List

Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB
ASRock H61M/U3S3 MoBo
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666
Antec EarthWatts EA 650 ATX 12V Version 2.2 Power Supply, 650 Watt
Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
ASUS VE228H 21.5IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080
Thermaltake AF0032 120mm Blue LED Case Fan -- x3

I will pick up a keyboard and mouse somewhere on my own time, I'm not worried about including them in the price of the build. I also have some decent desktop speakers I plan to use, so those aren't included in the build either. As mentioned before, I already have a copy of Windows 7, too.

It all comes to $711.54 after rebates, which is fine with me, but I could still use some advice:

I especially could use some advice on a good power supply to choose... I went with only power supplies that were "recommended" by AMD as per the website for the Sapphire HD 6850, but I admit I don't really understand what would be a good choice and what would not. Also, I heard a few people had these Antec EA 650 PSUs start shorting out and catching fire after about 6 months... obviously I want to avoid that!

I could also use some advice on:
- the number of additional fans to buy
- different/better monitors for the money
- any other suggestions you might have about my proposed build. I'm open to all suggestions. Keep in mind I'm looking first for value, and secondly for low risk if possible.

Thanks to everyone for looking.

More about : advice 700 budget gaming build scratch

May 25, 2012 2:28:35 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't thought about the bundles, but I'll definitely consider them now.

So does it matter if I go with the "AMD Certified" power supplies, or can I just select any 500 - 550W PSU that is reliable?

thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 2:56:21 PM

Thanks. Do you think the 560 Ti improves performance substantially over the 6850? If it provides more value for the money than the 6850, I'll probably go for it. If not, though, I like the value the 6850 provides.
m
l
May 25, 2012 11:35:40 PM

genomachino17 said:
Thanks. Do you think the 560 Ti improves performance substantially over the 6850? If it provides more value for the money than the 6850, I'll probably go for it. If not, though, I like the value the 6850 provides.

The 560 ti is well worth the extra price. It prob gives around a 20 to 30% increase.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=330
m
l
!