Lost Custom Shortcut Keys

On any computer that I use personally, I setup my quick shortcuts. I've done
this since early windows98. To open IE I simply hit 'ctrl-shift-z' or Outlook
is 'ctrl-shift-x'. These were working fine on my PC, though with XP you have
to create a shortcut icon on the desktop. Well while changing my desktop I
deleted these two icons, now I have replaced them, but the key strokes I want
to use can't be assigned, since XP seems to think they're still in use, but
they don't open anything either. I've been trying for the last few days to
reassign these keys, but with no luck. I know I could just make them some
other binding, but that's not my goal, since I use these same keystrokes on
about 4 other computers. Any help?
3 answers Last reply
More about lost custom shortcut keys

    >"Nightrunner" <Nightrunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >On any computer that I use personally, I setup my quick shortcuts. I've done
    >this since early windows98. To open IE I simply hit 'ctrl-shift-z' or Outlook
    >is 'ctrl-shift-x'. These were working fine on my PC, though with XP you have
    >to create a shortcut icon on the desktop. Well while changing my desktop I
    >deleted these two icons, now I have replaced them, but the key strokes I want
    >to use can't be assigned, since XP seems to think they're still in use, but
    >they don't open anything either. I've been trying for the last few days to
    >reassign these keys, but with no luck. I know I could just make them some
    >other binding, but that's not my goal, since I use these same keystrokes on
    >about 4 other computers. Any help?

    Do you have a recent restore point available from before this
    deletion?

    Nightrunner,
    The attachments were not included. These are they

    findhotkeys.bat
    cd %UserProfile%\desktop
    for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    REM
    cd %AllUsersProfile%\desktop
    for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    REM
    cd %UserProfile%\Start Menu
    for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    REM
    cd %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
    for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
    REM
    pause

    findhotkey.vbs
    on error resume next
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Dim A
    Dim Ag
    Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
    If Ag.Count > 0 then
    For x = 0 to Ag.Count -1
    A = A & Ag(x)
    Next
    End If
    Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    f=FSO.GetFile(A)
    set lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(A)
    If lnk.hotkey <> "" then
    msgbox A & vbcrlf & lnk.hotkey
    End If

    "Nightrunner" wrote:

    > On any computer that I use personally, I setup my quick shortcuts. I've done
    > this since early windows98. To open IE I simply hit 'ctrl-shift-z' or Outlook
    > is 'ctrl-shift-x'. These were working fine on my PC, though with XP you have
    > to create a shortcut icon on the desktop. Well while changing my desktop I
    > deleted these two icons, now I have replaced them, but the key strokes I want
    > to use can't be assigned, since XP seems to think they're still in use, but
    > they don't open anything either. I've been trying for the last few days to
    > reassign these keys, but with no luck. I know I could just make them some
    > other binding, but that's not my goal, since I use these same keystrokes on
    > about 4 other computers. Any help?

    Nightrunner,
    I had a similar problem quite some time ago and a posting on this newsgroup
    and a lot of experimentation helped me sort it out. My problem was that a
    deleted shortcut was still active so I couldn't use the same key sequence to
    perform another action. One help was some code (supplied by an MVP, I think)
    to find all shortcuts in specified directories - the most likely ones. I was
    then able to delete them and re-use them.

    I put both files in a folder C:\Batch Files and then ran the bat file. See
    if this helps for you. You might want to modify the code to add other
    directories to search.

    It may be that you won't succeed because many of the replies I received when
    trying to resolve this stated that it was an insoluble problem. Perhaps I
    was just lucky :-))
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    begin 666 findhotkey.vbs
    M;VX@97)R;W(@<F5S=6UE(&YE>'0-"G-E="!7<VA3:&5L;" ](%=38W)I<'0N
    M0W)E871E3V)J96-T*")74V-R:7!T+E-H96QL(BD-"D1I;2!!#0I$:6T@06<-
    M"E-E="!!9SU7<V-R:7!T+D%R9W5M96YT<PT*268@06<N0V]U;G0@/B P('1H
    M96X@#0H@1F]R('@@/2 P('1O($%G+D-O=6YT("TQ#0H@($$@/2!!("8@06<H
    M>"D@#0H@3F5X= T*16YD($EF#0I3970@1E-/(#T@0W)E871E3V)J96-T*")3
    M8W)I<'1I;F<N1FEL95-Y<W1E;4]B:F5C="(I#0IF/4933RY'971&:6QE*$$I
    M#0IS970@;&YK(#T@5W-H4VAE;&PN0W)E871E4VAO<G1C=70H02D-"DEF(&QN
    M:RYH;W1K97D@/#X@(B(@=&AE;@T*;7-G8F]X($$@)B!V8F-R;&8@)B!L;FLN
    0:&]T:V5Y#0I%;F0@268-"@``
    `
    end

    begin 666 find hotkeys.bat
    M8V0@)55S97)0<F]F:6QE)5QD97-K=&]P#0IF;W(@+W(@)25!(&EN("@J+FQN
    M:RD@9&\@(D,Z7$)A=&-H($9I;&5S7&9I;F1H;W1K97DN=F)S(B B)25!(@T*
    M9F]R("]R("4E02!I;B H*BYP:68I(&1O(")#.EQ"871C:"!&:6QE<UQF:6YD
    M:&]T:V5Y+G9B<R(@(B4E02(-"F9O<B O<B E)4$@:6X@*"HN=7)L*2!D;R B
    M0SI<0F%T8V@@1FEL97-<9FEN9&AO=&ME>2YV8G,B("(E)4$B#0I214T-"F-D
    M("5!;&Q5<V5R<U!R;V9I;&4E7&1E<VMT;W -"F9O<B O<B E)4$@:6X@*"HN
    M;&YK*2!D;R B0SI<0F%T8V@@1FEL97-<9FEN9&AO=&ME>2YV8G,B("(E)4$B