Lost Custom Shortcut Keys

January 11, 2005 2:59:12 PM

On any computer that I use personally, I setup my quick shortcuts. I've done
this since early windows98. To open IE I simply hit 'ctrl-shift-z' or Outlook
is 'ctrl-shift-x'. These were working fine on my PC, though with XP you have
to create a shortcut icon on the desktop. Well while changing my desktop I
deleted these two icons, now I have replaced them, but the key strokes I want
to use can't be assigned, since XP seems to think they're still in use, but
they don't open anything either. I've been trying for the last few days to
reassign these keys, but with no luck. I know I could just make them some
other binding, but that's not my goal, since I use these same keystrokes on
about 4 other computers. Any help?
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:23:28 PM

>"Nightrunner" <Nightrunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>On any computer that I use personally, I setup my quick shortcuts. I've done
>this since early windows98. To open IE I simply hit 'ctrl-shift-z' or Outlook
>is 'ctrl-shift-x'. These were working fine on my PC, though with XP you have
>to create a shortcut icon on the desktop. Well while changing my desktop I
>deleted these two icons, now I have replaced them, but the key strokes I want
>to use can't be assigned, since XP seems to think they're still in use, but
>they don't open anything either. I've been trying for the last few days to
>reassign these keys, but with no luck. I know I could just make them some
>other binding, but that's not my goal, since I use these same keystrokes on
>about 4 other computers. Any help?

Do you have a recent restore point available from before this
deletion?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:25:01 AM

Nightrunner,
The attachments were not included. These are they

findhotkeys.bat
cd %UserProfile%\desktop
for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
REM
cd %AllUsersProfile%\desktop
for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
REM
cd %UserProfile%\Start Menu
for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
REM
cd %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
for /r %%A in (*.lnk) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.pif) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
for /r %%A in (*.url) do "C:\Batch Files\findhotkey.vbs" "%%A"
REM
pause

findhotkey.vbs
on error resume next
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Dim A
Dim Ag
Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
If Ag.Count > 0 then
For x = 0 to Ag.Count -1
A = A & Ag(x)
Next
End If
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
f=FSO.GetFile(A)
set lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(A)
If lnk.hotkey <> "" then
msgbox A & vbcrlf & lnk.hotkey
End If

"Nightrunner" wrote:

> On any computer that I use personally, I setup my quick shortcuts. I've done
> this since early windows98. To open IE I simply hit 'ctrl-shift-z' or Outlook
> is 'ctrl-shift-x'. These were working fine on my PC, though with XP you have
> to create a shortcut icon on the desktop. Well while changing my desktop I
> deleted these two icons, now I have replaced them, but the key strokes I want
> to use can't be assigned, since XP seems to think they're still in use, but
> they don't open anything either. I've been trying for the last few days to
> reassign these keys, but with no luck. I know I could just make them some
> other binding, but that's not my goal, since I use these same keystrokes on
> about 4 other computers. Any help?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:57:11 PM

Nightrunner,
I had a similar problem quite some time ago and a posting on this newsgroup
and a lot of experimentation helped me sort it out. My problem was that a
deleted shortcut was still active so I couldn't use the same key sequence to
perform another action. One help was some code (supplied by an MVP, I think)
to find all shortcuts in specified directories - the most likely ones. I was
then able to delete them and re-use them.

I put both files in a folder C:\Batch Files and then ran the bat file. See
if this helps for you. You might want to modify the code to add other
directories to search.

It may be that you won't succeed because many of the replies I received when
trying to resolve this stated that it was an insoluble problem. Perhaps I
was just lucky :-))
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

begin 666 findhotkey.vbs
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0:&]T:V5Y#0I%;F0@268-"@``
`
end

begin 666 find hotkeys.bat
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M;&YK*2!D;R B0SI<0F%T8V@@1FEL97-<9FEN9&AO=&ME>2YV8G,B("(E)4$B