Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a PC for the first time.

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2012 3:49:43 AM

I did a lot of research on how to build a computer. I've spent probably a week doing research on all the components and parts, installation, everything. I also took my old computer apart to see the layout and what to expect.

So I went to Newegg and added a bunch of parts to my wishlist so I can come back and buy later when I have the money. I'm building a gaming computer and the price of everything range between 1200-1300.

Now since this is the first time I'm building a computer, I'd like to list the hardwares I'm buying and ask you guys if anything here not compatible. The last thing I want is have everything and one thing happen to not be compatible.

Motherboard - Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

Graphics Card- GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Power Supply - Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Hardrive - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Otherstuff such as the case, optical drive, and fan I already have in check. But what I have so far, is it good? And any tips for building one that I may not know of?

More about : building time

a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 3:56:04 AM

there are alot of things i would recommend.

1. Be sure to combo deal before purchase.
2. I7 is unessessary for a gamer and its cost isnt worth the jump from an I5
3. You can probably get a way better psu at that price point
4. 800watt psu and only a 560 ti 448?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 4:11:48 AM

forthe same price point as the 560 the 570 and 7850 cards are the same price..if i had to choose i go with the newer 7850. going to run cooler and need less power then the 570 card. if the 660ti was going to be out in three weeks i would say hold off..the last info shows that the card might not be out till the end of the year. with the mb make sure you by ram that has short heat spreader and is on the mb tested list. i would toss in a 212 heat sink the intel stock one suck.
Related resources
May 25, 2012 4:56:25 AM

I'm trying to make the best PC possible. What is the i7 useful for?
And any recommendations for what I should get instead of what I already have now? Any suggestions on what to get that's better? And thanks for the replies.
m
l
May 25, 2012 6:36:37 AM

i7 and AMD's 81** series of CPU's are for Video Editing and Multi-threaded programs. Games mainly run on Single-thread's rather than Multi-threads. It's better value for a Gamer to get an i5 or a FX-4100. I would suggest getting a 500gb HDD and an SSD but a 1TB is great too (I have a 1TB HDD and soon adding in a 160gb SSD for Windows and a few games. ) Hmm. Have you sorted out your OS? For 8GB of RAM you need a 64BIT OS. I think that's it. (: I just built my first Computer last Month! Great work on trying something new! It's great fun toying around in a case to fit everything together :) 

- Samo
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:48:52 PM

Thanks alot for the replies guys. I just reorganized my list of what to get after taking all of your thoughts into consideration and did further research.

I'm getting a i5, with an HD 7850, 500W power, and 8GB RAM. Thanks ALOT GUYS!
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:49:22 PM

Best answer selected by Vinhaay.
m
l
May 25, 2012 8:50:55 PM

Vinhaay said:
Thanks alot for the replies guys. I just reorganized my list of what to get after taking all of your thoughts into consideration and did further research.

I'm getting a i5, with an HD 7850, 500W power, and 8GB RAM. Thanks ALOT GUYS!

Good luck on your build! :) 

- Samo
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2012 4:20:40 AM

the only tip i give is when the parts come and you start the build use a magnifier and look at the pins on your mb cpu slot when you lift the black protection cover. there been a few videos of people getting new boards with one or two bent pins..if there are bent pins take a photo of the mb and contact the store you bought the mb from...it a pain in the butt but vendors dont want to cover bent pins..they think it us that are bending them. there a a few video on you tube of people getting new or replacment boards with smashed pins. you also want to by ram that has short heat spreaders. when i build a system i put the cpu in first then lock it down then put the ram into the mb. i then i use a old credit card and put a thin layer of thermal paste then lock the heat sink down. i then toss in a video card and power up the mb outside the case while it outside i go into the bios and look at the cpu temps. as long as the temp is stable and withing temps. (30-50c) with the stock fan. I update the bios then shut down the mb. take the video card out so you dont damage it. put the ps in the case first then place the 6-9 brass stand offs. if the mb has 9 holes use all of them..you dont want the mb to short out to the case. when you put in the i\o shield and the mb you may want to ask for help..most i/o shields padding cause the mb not to line up unless you use some pressure.it nice to have an extra set of hands. dont screw the screws in all the way start with just 4 in the edges. when you have all of them in and there holding the mb in pop out one of the back i/o slot that lines up with the main video card slot and see that the video card goes into the pci slot and back case without issue. sometimes you have to shift a mb up or down a little for the video card shield to line up. when the mb is lined up screw the mb down. take out the video card..it the last card that goes in. you want to start with the 24pin atx and the 4/8 pin power cable. as you plug the cables in start thinking about cable management. a lot of time people put the cables to close to fans...sucked it and cut or bind fans. or by the end of the build there a rats nest inside. (plastic tywraps or velco are your friend). before you lock up the mb header cables power on the pc make sure the power/reset/power led and hd led are working. the sata connectors and cables can be snapped real easy make sure you line up the cable when you plug them in. also look online at the mb install guild with newer 45 deg sata ports that are on the edge of mb now you have to use sata cables that are straight on one end.
m
l
!