Just built my first PC, but ran into some Issues

So I just put together the parts for my PC for the firs time ever, and it was great fun researching parts and building it. However, on startup I ran into few problems.

1. The system turns on for a second, turns off for a second, then turns on and stays on. I feel like this is not normal...

2. I am getting no display. I've tried plugging in via HDMI and DVI but neither works.

I've triple checked that all my cables are snugly plugged in, and the motherboard I'm using has lights on it that light up when I'm powered on w/ some display that shows numbers so idk if its my mobo or not. I'm really hoping I don't have to take it all apart and redo it. I've also reseated the ram, but not he gfx card.

Here's what I've got:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.98 @ Mac Connection)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($399.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($169.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Microsoft Desktop 400 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.94 @ Wolf Camera)
Total: $1409.80
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-25 00:34 EDT-0400)
53 answers Last reply
More about just built issues
  1. Boot loop, MOBO problem. Try RMAing it.
  2. azeem40 said:
    Boot loop, MOBO problem. Try RMAing it.


    Thanks, but what does RMA stand for? I googled it and it sounds like it means replace it. :/
  3. It does. It means Return Merchandise Authorization.

    Just means you have to call the supplier and get the OK to return it so the paperwork is in order.
  4. Try running it with only the motherboard, the processor and the ram. See what happens.
  5. Ironslice said:
    Try running it with only the motherboard, the processor and the ram. See what happens.


    Just tried that and same issues are occuring. My Mobo is not beeping either, but idk if that's a good or bad thing haha
  6. OK, are u booting from the GPU or the iGPU?
  7. If it is a GPU card, make sure it has the power connected.
  8. it the ram and mb it can set the right speed to post. try power in and then press the mem ok button to see if you can get the mb out of the boot loop. if not remove all the dimms but one and see if she post if not see if someone has another dimm.
  9. nikorr said:
    OK, are u booting from the GPU or the iGPU?


    nikorr said:
    If it is a GPU card, make sure it has the power connected.


    I've booting w/o the GPU (connected via HDMI) and w/ the GPU and still no display. I've tried testing the monitor out w/ my laptop via a vga connection and it works fine also.

    Anonymous said:
    it the ram and mb it can set the right speed to post. try power in and then press the mem ok button to see if you can get the mb out of the boot loop. if not remove all the dimms but one and see if she post if not see if someone has another dimm.


    The problem is I can't even see anything on my screen and its the only monitor I have...so I can't even go in and see if I can do anything besides messing w/ the hardware components.

    I've attached a picture of the insides but idk if that will help...I know nothing. :(

    http://imgur.com/H8J5V

  10. Make sure the RAM is in the slot the right way.

    Recommended memory configurations

    black + black
    or
    red + red
  11. I see your RAM is in the Red slot.

    Can u try the black slots?
  12. nikorr said:
    Make sure the RAM is in the slot the right way.

    Recommended memory configurations

    black + black
    or
    red + red


    Just tried the black slots and same issues.
  13. Can u try another RAM?
  14. BTW,

    U never went in the BIOS, right?

    Its not working since the first boot?
  15. nikorr said:
    Can u try another RAM?


    I don't really have any on hand. :( I really appreciate your help though!
  16. nikorr said:
    BTW,

    U never went in the BIOS, right?

    Its not working since the first boot?


    The 1st boot I did these 2 same issues came up and I've been stuck for the past 3 hours trying to figure them out. I can't get into bios because I can't really see anything on my screen as its saying no output from anything.
  17. No problem : )

    Did u try to assemble the PC before u installed it in the case?

    Its always the best to run dry boot outside the case, in case anything is wrong and u would need to remove it.
  18. nikorr said:
    No problem : )

    Did u try to assemble the PC before u installed it in the case?

    Its always the best to run dry boot outside the case, in case anything is wrong and u would need to remove it.


    Yeah this was my very first ever pc that I built so that didn't even occur to me. I just wanted it be done. :/
  19. wingpc said:
    Yeah this was my very first ever pc that I built so that didn't even occur to me. I just wanted it be done. :/

    Sorry, I meant outside of the case.

    There is a reason for it. If it works outside, and not inside, it may be shorting somewhere.
  20. Did u use the stand-offs under the mobo, between the mobo and the case?

  21. nikorr said:
    Did u use the stand-offs under the mobo, between the mobo and the case?

    http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/images/buildsystem/IMG_6805.jpg


    Yes it was one of the first things I did as I had read some stories about people forgetting and having to redo everything.
  22. Make sure the CPU power connector is connected with 8pin 12v ATX cable.

    There are other 8 pins, so mistake can be made.
  23. nikorr said:
    Make sure the CPU power connector is connected with 8pin 12v ATX cable.

    There are other 8 pins, so mistake can be made.


    Oh yeah it is I'm pretty sure. Aaand I just realized, I reread the manual and that 53 in the picture is telling me what type of error is occuring. According to my manual, 53 = Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed. What does this mean?!
  24. Its telling u about your RAM -> Its wrong RAM.
  25. Do u have that Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 1.5v black?
  26. Yes. I just tried putting in one stick and the error is not there anymore, but still no display and the weird booting hting happens. So its saying that the ram is incompatible? Would you be able to suggest a ram that would be compatible then?
  27. It is compatible, that is the RAM I suggest to 90% people.
  28. CMOS battery may be low on power.
    I would replace the battery ... 2032CR model
  29. Can u reset the BIOS?
    Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
    How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
  30. nikorr said:
    Can u reset the BIOS?
    Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
    How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm







    Just did it but still hasn't worked. And you say the battery is low? But I just got it out of the box...I guess I could try to buy new ones tmrw.

    Also, theres an indicator light on saying there is a DRAM error still (according to my manual)
  31. Well I just read something...

    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12588-Maximus-IV-GeneZ-Gen3-Corsair-Vengeance-DDR3-1600Mhz&p=91436&viewfull=1#post91436

    I don't know how true this is, but I'll do some more research and see.
  32. Can u take it out side of the PC and plug it back in?

    I would go, remove the CPU and check the pins on mobo.
  33. nikorr said:
    Can u take it out side of the PC and plug it back in?

    I would go, remove the CPU and check the pins on mobo.


    Take what outside of the PC? The mobo?

    Going to bed now, but tmrw I'll go buy some new ram and see if it was just both of my ram sticks not working or something else. I just really don't want to RMA my mobo, as it is a big hassle and i don't even know if its my mobo thats not working. Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll get more ideas from people tmrw.
  34. Yes, place it outside on the box it came in it.

    And plug in the LCD with RAM, CPU installed and see if it goes to the BIOS.

    If yes, than your system is shorting somewhere in the case.
  35. I would go, remove the CPU and check the pins on mobo.
  36. nikorr said:
    Yes, place it outside on the box it came in it.

    And plug in the LCD with RAM, CPU installed and see if it goes to the BIOS.

    If yes, than your system is shorting somewhere in the case.


    nikorr said:
    I would go, remove the CPU and check the pins on mobo.


    Actually just stumbled upon this post while googling. This guy had the exact same problems as me, but his solution was just to get a new one. I'll try that stuff tmrw and if not I'm just going to have to deal w/ RMAing it.

    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4309-ASUS-Maximus-IV-GENE-Z.-Did-I-get-the-wrong-memory

    Also, this link:

    http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7931.html?s=50b9730fa93c82254b28ce93147aacf0

    The dram light on the power molex is on so it could be me not seating the ram correctly in the first place. Will update tmrw.
  37. Could be the mobo, that is where we were probably heading,

    after exhausting all the options : )
  38. Ok now this morning I tried to turn it on after reseating the memory sticks again and now it turns on for a second then shuts off. I double checked my cables to make sure they were all still plugged in. The optical drive doesn't even open now.
  39. Does anything come up on your dubug LED at any point during your bootloop?
  40. If the optical drive isn't opening you have a power issue.
  41. cuecuemore said:
    Does anything come up on your dubug LED at any point during your bootloop?


    Umm I don't remember seeing anything, but I can't test it out now since it won't even open.

    Anonymous said:
    If the optical drive isn't opening you have a power issue.


    Thats what I was thinking, but then I find it weird that it was fine last night and now suddenly not working this morning.
  42. So I took it over to a friends place and all he did was remove my memory sticks, put his in, and it worked. Then he put my memory sticks and it worked again, so now I can get into the bios.

    HOWEVER, I can't seem to install windows. I have set my boot priority to my dvd drive and it still gives me this message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key". I have my windows install disk in the drive, but it keeps giving me the same error messages.
  43. Select the windows install disk as a boot device #1.
  44. nikorr said:
    Select the windows install disk as a boot device #1.


    I don't see that as an option in my boot menu? Pics of my bios menu

    http://imgur.com/a/V3tbr
  45. Is your DVD/CD drive showing up?

    Just add the DVD drive to boot first.
  46. nikorr said:
    Is your DVD/CD drive showing up?

    Just add the DVD drive to boot first.


    Yes its the Asus DRW one listed above. I have already set it as boot first.
  47. When it is #1, save it and it restarts. F10 will save it.
  48. Do u have a USB flash drive?

    4GB min?
  49. I don't but I Just realized, I bought microsoft office instead of windows and im an idiot. That will cause the bootup to react like that since I don't have the windows os installed correct?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product