Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Solved?] Weird Freezes :(

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2012 5:21:11 AM

Hello,

I just built a new mid-range gaming rig and am having the following issue:

Twice now, the computer has frozen up in the same way; first the computer freezes and the main monitor has black rectangles scattered about but almost making a kind of gradient pattern (big black rectangles with progressively smaller ones below or above it). Then, the main monitor goes completely black. A few seconds later, the secondary monitor goes completely black. The whole time this is happening the computer is frozen (no keyboard or mouse input does anything perceivable).

Once it happened while running Prime95, another time it happened right after I moved the mouse to get rid of the screensaver (machine was idling).

Build:

Intel Core i7 3820
ASrock x79 Extreme6 Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7870 Graphics Card (XFX)
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB Quad Channel) DDR3 1600 RAM
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB x2 in Raid0
OCZ-ZS 750W Power Supply

I will try to take a picture of the rectangle screen (if it happens again), or let me know what else you need to know to help me out.

Thanks in advance!

More about : solved weird freezes

May 25, 2012 5:31:08 AM

check that you have the newest bios for the mb. also check that the ram is on the mb qal list. run cpu-z and look at the spd info for the ram and see if the mb set the speed and voltage right for the ram. use fanspeed or hardware monitor and see if the cpu or gpu temps are hot. new builds...did you put the thermal paste under the heat sink...is all the power plugs in tight and on the video card. is the heat sink for the cpu on the cpu fan header and are the legs locked in so that the cpu is tuching the cpu.
run gpu-z see that the video card mode..memory..bus speed and pci 2x or 3x by 16x speed is read.
Score
May 25, 2012 5:50:34 AM

-Bios is 1.20, newest version.
-The ram is NOT on the MB compat list... That sucks... (However there is a beta bios version that says it increases DRAM compatibility... I will try that if else fails.)
-CPU-Z SPD: Seems to be correct voltage and timings for ram... 8-8-8-24 1.5v
-CPU temps are ~34 degrees while idle, and MAX of 60 degrees using prime95 all cores 100% utilization. Normal gaming or use never gets above 50 degrees though. So yes on the thermal paste and proper heat sink install.
-Video card temps are at 44 degrees idle, haven't tested during gaming.
-GPU-Z: PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2048 memory

So is this because of the ram not being compatible? :(  That would really suck... I thought maybe it had something to do with video card since the screen goes all whacky or the SSD getting sleep of death or whatever.

Thanks again for the help!
Score
Related resources

Best solution

May 26, 2012 5:08:20 AM

it one step in trying to find out what part is failing on your build. most mb tech on debug will tell you to run with one dimm in the main ram slot. (a0 or a1 depending on mb booklet). and seeing if the error can be repeated. if it can there tell you to swap the dimms and rerun. if it happens again..they tell you to put up a program like hardware monitor and watch your power supply and gpu temps. one thing you can do email ozc and see if there one or more 12v rail. if there more then one how is the ps wired. with ps with more then one rail you could be pulling to much out of one leg of the ps..it may be fixed by moving one of the power cables to another port on the ps. (if modular). another thing they might do is see if it a issued from the z77 chipset and the video card..they may tell you to change the pci bus mode from 16x 3.0 mode to 16x pci 2.0 mode and for you to run the game again.
May 27, 2012 6:53:37 AM

I think I got it. I swapped out the motherboard for an ASUS P9X79 PRO to see if it would fix the issue. It did not. However, this time instead of both monitors staying black forever, it blue screened and said there was an error with atikmpag.sys. This led me to read about that error and find that a lot of people with this series of graphics card have the same issue.

The issue occurs when in dual monitor mode and both monitors are plugged into DVI ports on the graphics card. I bought a displayport to DVI adapter and now I have one monitor on the DVI port and one on displayport.

No freezes yet, hope it stays that way. Also, I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. Unfortunately, I just didn't get to see the BSOD error at first because maybe my first motherboard couldn't recover from the driver malfunction as well as my new one.

Thanks for your help smorizio!
Score
July 13, 2012 9:21:12 AM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
Score
July 13, 2012 9:21:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!