How risky buying used i5 2500K

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Well I decided to upgrade my SB i3 to 4 cores because I think now it s the right time because there are people selling their i5 chips in affordable prices.

I found 2 good offers.. one of them i5 2400 and other i5 2500K

Price difference between them is only 25 $

So i5 2500K seems a no brainer but there comes the question that it is an unlocked chip which is used for 1 year. I don't know how intensive and often it was overclocked by the user. I know that overclocking decreases the life span of the chip and it might even decrease the performance of it and damage it. Should I take the risk buying i5 2500K or should I go for only couple of months used clean i5 2400.

User of the i5 2500K remarked that he did not overclock the chip. I also checked his previous messages and it looks like he was searching for a CPU cooler couple of months ago ;) He says he could even accept my i3 in exchange for i5 and some money plus from me.

Given these information how would you act ?

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
where is this from ebay? craigslist? Do you personally know this person? I purchased most of my cpus used but there is always that worry of a defective product.

If its ebay you have a certain layer of protect be sure to ask him if there is any defects with cpu. and THEN ask if there are any defects from overclocking.

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
No I buy it from a local forum in my country. I ll even see the guy and the cpu when buying but wont be able to test it

4.0 ghz is easy to obtain, personally, I would go 2500k assuming if you have the correct mobo to do so. if not, I'm a person who prefers to recommend ivy bridge processors for the non k series cpus. but since your getting it from someone, I wouldnt know the price.

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
ivy s get hot there is also an ivy bridge same price as 2500K people complain about their temps and i cant afford aftermarket cooler my mobo can oc z68

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i think ivy bridges are fail complaints about their temps alll around and our summers are pretty hot i dont want my cpu throttle