Lockups - PSU related?

Paridoc

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hey all, My computer locks up completely (unresponsive, audio loop) somewhat randomly. It always happens when stressing the video card, but often it will go months before having an issue. Then it will happen after 5 min of media/gaming. The problem shouldn't be the GPU as I had it warrantied when the problem first happened (when I built it). I thought it had something to do with heat, but temps are reasonable under heavy loads. Ive had it freeze with the gpu at 40c - and at 70c. CPU is usually hovering mid 40s.

Before going further, some specs:
Asus M4A87TD EVO
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @3.2
8GB G.Skill DDR3
HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6870
C300 64GB
WD 500GB 7200rpm
Rosewill 600W PSU (Not positive, I will need to pull it out of the case to be sure, but if memory serves this is the one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032 )

I should also mention that the PSU was the only part in my current machine which came from my old one. So it could be about 4 years old. I have reinstalled windows. current drivers. Memtest checks out.

My assumption is that the PSU is no longer providing enough power for the video card to do its thing all the time, and has periods of less that nominal output. The only other possibility Is the motherboard I guess.

Opinions?

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

have you tried the video card in another pc?? i would say either way it looks like it is time for a new psu of better quality if you can,i would say 4 years is enough for that one,atleast then if the problem remains its most likely the video card

Paridoc

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I have, and I tested a different video card in mine so I'm fairly certain that it's not the issue. Definitely gonna try a new PSU once I can afford it though. Fingers crossed.