Compatibility, Bottlenecking, etc. help

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The build all looks compatible. However, I would seriously urge you to NOT spend $150 on a case. It's just not necessary, a full-tower-ATX simply isn't needed unless you have an E-ATX motherboard.

Grab yourself a $60-$70 case and pump another $80-$90 into the graphics card or motherboard.

BIOSTAR generally make "budget-oriented" motherboards, personally on your budget id be looking for a Z77 from ASRock, ASUS or Gigabyte.

Any reason your getting a 750w PSU? 550w would be plenty for a single GPU set up?

EDIT: I'd also consider buying an after-market CPU cooler if you plan on over-clocking that i5.

EDIT2: Oh, and obviously, there's no bottleneck what-so-ever. I don't think its possible to bottleneck an i5 unless your running 3-way SLI GPU's.

NewCompBuilder519

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Thanks for replying! I wanted to spend $150 on case so I wouldn't have to spend more on CPU coolers (since it seemed to have good air flow and has multiple large fans). I chose a 750w PSU because I plan on keeping the power supply for about 5 years + and I heard a power supply deteriorates about 10% of maximum watt per year. (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318857-28-does-higher-wattage-power-supply-equal-higher-electricity-drain)

I don't plan to overclock that much to begin with (since I don't know how to do it). Since it seems interesting and fun though, it is a possibility in the future. and huzzah for no bottleneck :D

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
1) You NEED a CPU cooler. Your case has very little to do with keeping your CPU cooler. The Heatsink and CPU cooler sits directly and top and account for about 90% of the cooling.

2) You don't need a case with loads of fans. One front intake, one rear exhaust, one roof exhaust is PLENTY. Once again, you do not need a FULL tower case, MID-TOWER is plenty big enough.

3) Capacitor ageing. Not true for modern day PSU's, the capacitors are much better quality. A 550-650w unit BRONZE RATED 80PLUS will keep you going for 5 years no problem. Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic are all recommend brands.

A CPU cooler (such as HYPER EVO or HYPER 212+) will only set you back about $25. Pair this with a $60-$70 case and your all sorted for under $100 leaving the other $60-70 to be spent on components that will make an active difference to performance, such as a better GPU.