Built Computer Troubles

Pooks in Boots

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hello everyone. I am experiencing trouble with my built computer. I had all the same hardware inside an old case and it worked fine but when I switched cases, I think I shorted it a few times (usb and audio cables no plugged in for case). So, I got everything hooked up correctly and it began to run VERY slow. 10 minute boot time, very slow at desktop. So I got a new HDD and put Windows 7 on it, and It still ran very slow. It's slow enough that I cant install the drivers, and windows opened will freeze after about 1 minute of being open. Any help is appreciated. I can get any specs if needed. Thanks!

Pooks in Boots

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
okay so task manager says it almost 100% CPU usage with nothing running. My motherboard is something like Intel Desktop Board DP35DP or DG33TL Media Series. I have 6GB RAM. Nvida GeForce graphics card. I also have a 420 watt power supply, which I think might also play into it, because I now have 4 fans getting power on top of everything that was before. I'm using Windows 7 and I have an almost empty hard drive thats brand new, with just google chrome and windows 7 on it.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Have you tried an antivirus or antispyware program to see if you have anything?

Ctrl+Alt+Delete, go to processes tab, and click on the CPU column header to sort. Find what is using 100% of the CPU and report back.

PS: A PSU that is too low won't cause the CPU to run at 100% - FYI.