Sign in with
Your question

First Time Builder Advice

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2012 3:09:49 AM

Hi,

I've decided to build a gaming PC because it seems like an interesting project and I can be proud of it when I'm done. I've been doing research the last couple of weeks and I've got a draft components list I'd like some one to take a look at. I want a PC that can run the latest games in high quality and run games well for years to come.

CPU: Inter Core i5 Processor
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68- V LX Intel
RAM: Patriot G2 Series 8GB DDR3
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Power Supply: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt
Optical Drive: Life-On Internal DVD Writer
Case: Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430

If anyone could help me improve or save money I would be hugely thankful. Also if their is a problem with this list (eg. parts aren't compatible) it would be great if you could point those problems out for me :D 

Thank You

More about : time builder advice

May 25, 2012 3:30:01 AM

If you need to stay within a budget and get a cheaper mobo, go with this: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

If you can go higher with the budget, get this: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

The P8Z68-V LX is very limited if you plan to OC (assuming you're talking about a 2500K). If it's a 2400 or 2500 non K the P8Z68-V LX will be ok, though.

Edit: Links didn't work, but the motherboard names are listed.
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:33:16 AM

Go for the 2500k if you plan on OCing. If you are going for the 3570k, the 2500k would be better for OCing and save money. I would go for the ASROCK Extreme3 Gen3. It OC's well and I own that board, RAM, and a 2500k and they are run very well together. You can probably even get that RAM to run @ 1.5v instead of 1.65v. Looks pretty good besides that. Also, the HDD isn't a very fast drive (I owned one and they aren't bad at all though) so if you want a faster drive I would suggest an SSD, WD Black Caviar, or a Seagate Barracuda 1tb 32mb. :) 
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 3:36:28 AM

Thanks, I didn't put the links in they were added automatically. This might sound like a stupid question but what is over clocking and why should I do it??
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:41:38 AM

GhostComandr said:
Thanks, I didn't put the links in they were added automatically. This might sound like a stupid question but what is over clocking and why should I do it??

LOL, I was talking about links that I had originally posted, but they didn't work... :whistle: 

Anyway, overclocking is just a way to get extra performance from your CPU, if you need it (or just want to, in my case). With a Sandy Bridge i5, you shouldn't really NEED to OC for a while, but it's nice to have the option if you ever DO need to, which is why the 2500K is so attractive (unlocked multipliers, so it's very easily OC'd, unlike the non K CPU's, which can't be OC'd very much).
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:48:39 AM

Oh lol

The one I've got written down on my component list in front of me is a 2500k :)  Will downgrading the Mother Board to a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 noticeably reduce the performance of the PC??
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:52:10 AM

GhostComandr said:
Oh lol

The one I've got written down on my component list in front of me is a 2500k :)  Will downgrading the Mother Board to a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 noticeably reduce the performance of the PC??

That's not a downgrade, it's an UPGRADE. :)  Nothing wrong with the quality of the LX, it's just very basic (I have the LE, which is one step above the LX, but is still pretty basic). The ASRock and the other Asus board I listed offer much more.
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:56:13 AM

...... I'm such a noob :(  at least I'm trying...... are there any other potentially note worthy upgrades?? Thanks for your help thus far :) 
m
l
May 25, 2012 4:01:21 AM

GhostComandr said:
...... I'm such a noob :(  at least I'm trying...... are there any other potentially note worthy upgrades?? Thanks for your help thus far :) 

Don't worry about it man. :)  I've always said that we're all noob's at some point.

As far as further upgrades go, a Caviar Black would be nice, if it fits into your budget.
m
l
May 25, 2012 4:04:52 AM

Thanks heaps for the advice, I needed it!! :)  Hopefully it will last me for years of quality gaming :D 
m
l
May 25, 2012 4:05:39 AM

GhostComandr said:
Thanks heaps for the advice, I needed it!! :)  Hopefully it will last me for years of quality gaming :D 

No problem, and it absolutely should! :) 
m
l
May 25, 2012 12:36:20 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!