Ivy bridge i3 for gaming???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Hi Tom's. I've been looking for an upgrade in my rig. I currently have a Phenom 2 1055T which works well, but I just noticed the release of the Ivy bridge i3's. Would an ivybridge i3 be a good upgrade? (as in, would i see a significant increase in frames/performance over my current cpu). If not, do you have any other recommendations? (maybe wait for next gen cpu or something like that)

Thanks for your continuing help,
TechnoD

Solution
An i5 would give you a bigger increase in FPS so yes the i5 will give you more performance, but i don't see whats wrong with your current CPU, just OC it and you will be fine.

antonisrsx

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
suppose that you are a gamer the upgrade you have to do (to see a significant increase in frames/performance) is your GPU. your cpu is fine for gaming. buy a new GPU (and make sure that your PSU can handle it) and overclock your current cpu! also post your system specs so we can help you more!

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
My System Specs are the following:
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 1055T 6 core
RAM: OCZ 6 GB 1600 MHZ Timing 6-6-6 (got a great deal on it before it OCZ dropped RAM)
GPU: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7770 GHZ edition not overclocked (and I game on a single 1920*1080 monitor)
Asus DVD drive
OCZ ModXstream Pro 700 Watt power supply
Creative X-Fi sound card (dont know the model but its really good)

If the i3 ivy bridge wont be too much of an upgrade, would the i5 be a lot faster? (as in, like before, better frames and performance)

G

That is not a bad set up for simple gaming.

However, I will say that your CPU is rated to be about equal to an intel core 2 chip or a sandy bridge Pentium for gaming. (by tom's hardware CPU hierarchy chart)

I think you would see a pretty decent upgrade in a sandy/Ivy bridge i3. I would definitely not hesitate to grab any lower end (read cheap) i5 sandy/ivy quad core that comes on sale.

.. Recently I got a $130 i5-2400 and put it on a cheap ECS mobo ($30). It's not the fastest setup but it was a huge upgrade. However, I have had all good experiences with the i3 at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS