Sign in with
Your question

AMD Radeon 6950 - Display Port outputs stopped working!?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • DVI
  • AMD
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2012 3:02:51 PM

Hello, have just encountered a problem that is very strange i've not experienced anything like it. Running eyefinity on the AMD Radeon 6950 with three display port outputs (active adapted DVI) and 1 extra on a DVI output equalling 4 screens that were working just fine in eyefinity.

Then today I plug in an extra Display port into the remaining DP input and NOTHING! I can no longer get anything out of any Display Port outputs from the card, i can only use the DVI outputs.

Please somebody tell me what could have caused this and how i could rectify I would be most most grateful.

Thanks

More about : amd radeon 6950 display port outputs stopped working

March 24, 2012 7:51:18 PM

dreadknob said:
Hello, have just encountered a problem that is very strange i've not experienced anything like it. Running eyefinity on the AMD Radeon 6950 with three display port outputs (active adapted DVI) and 1 extra on a DVI output equalling 4 screens that were working just fine in eyefinity.

Then today I plug in an extra Display port into the remaining DP input and NOTHING! I can no longer get anything out of any Display Port outputs from the card, i can only use the DVI outputs.

Please somebody tell me what could have caused this and how i could rectify I would be most most grateful.

Thanks

On a AMD card like yours, there are 5 monitor outputs. You can only plug in four of those because the controller does not support more.
March 24, 2012 11:47:51 PM

xxyougotownedzz said:
On a AMD card like yours, there are 5 monitor outputs. You can only plug in four of those because the controller does not support more.

I am not sure this is correct. If you have 2 DVI and 4 display port as far as I know you should be able to run 6 monitors. I know eyefinity does not support 5x1 monitor setups though, so that might be your issue.
Related resources
March 25, 2012 3:36:39 AM

unksol said:
I am not sure this is correct. If you have 2 DVI and 4 display port as far as I know you should be able to run 6 monitors. I know eyefinity does not support 5x1 monitor setups though, so that might be your issue.

Thats correct but the reference design card has 2 mini-Display port, a HDMI and 2xDVI
a b À AMD
March 25, 2012 4:22:01 AM

That story sounds odd. I have not seen any cards with 2 DVI ports and 3 mini DP's. They usually have 2 DVI, 2 mini DP's, and an HDMI.

In which case you can only use 2 non DP connections along with your 2 DP connections, which limits you to 4 monitors. On the few cards that have more DP connections, you can go beyond 4, but I've also read that Eyefinity does not yet support 5 monitors (6 works).
March 29, 2012 10:18:09 PM

hi there, thanks for the response but the problem has persisted in so far as - since plugging in another display port connection- it has ceased to function even with any configuration of outputs. So basically i can now currently only output from the DVI outputs of the card.

Is there a possibility that since putting in the fourth DP connection it has somehow thrown the card?? As i said i have tried just DP, or even returning to my previous setup (3 actively adapted DP outputs and 1 DVI output). I simply can't get catalyst to detect anything out of the DP ports.

Most confusing...
!