Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 560 Ti disappointment

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2012 3:21:05 PM

Hi guys,
I purchased and swapped out my GeForce GTX 460 v2 for a GTX 560 Ti yesterday, and I'm not really impressed with the results. I do not see much improvement while running 3Dbenchmark11, and it seems I could not overclock the GPU as much as people have bragged about online. Maybe I'm missing something? The drivers are fully updated.
The highest I was able to OC the graphics card was around 940mhz/1850mhz for the core clock and shader clock, and 2250mhz on the memory clock. At one point I had the core clock set to 950mhz, and it crashed quickly. So I dropped it down 1 mhz at a time, and it seemed to just crash slower. I was able to pay BF3 for about 5 minutes at 947mhz before it crashed on me. ( I ran through benchmark fine but it wasn't for that long.)

Any tips would be great.
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 3:40:23 PM

What voltage settings are you using? And which card exactly it is?

You need to realize that GTX 560 Ti only 10-15% faster than GTX 460.
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:02:42 PM

Sunius said:
What voltage settings are you using? And which card exactly it is?

You need to realize that GTX 560 Ti only 10-15% faster than GTX 460.

How do I tell which card it is? I was just reading it off the box lol.
I was using stock voltage, and started to adjust it slowly. I'm gonna give it another try now, hopefully find steady settings for 950mhz.
What about the memory clock, what exactly is too high for that setting?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 4:11:50 PM

I've got stable overclock settings on my GTX 560 Ti:

Voltage: 1112 mV
Core clock: 975 MHz
Memory clock: 2150 MHz.

My card seems to crash if I get memory too high..

Anyway, the exact model should be written on the box, it will also say the brand which made the card (gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, etc). For example mine is Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:16:21 PM

You bought a card that's slightly faster than a GTX460, but expected it to be way faster than a GTX460?
Waste of money in my opinion, you should have just overclocked your GTX460.
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:25:25 PM

I have GTX 460's and they came stock at 763/1526/1900. I can overclock them to 820/1640/1900 without boosting the voltage from 0.962 V. Beyond that they become unreliable. I have o/c'ed them to 900/1800/2000 only by bumping the voltage to the max. allowed in MSI afterburner which is 1.08V. I don't run them that high though.
O/C'ing the video card only gives a 10%-15% boost in FPS. The real magic comes when you SLI them.
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:43:46 PM

Sunius said:
I've got stable overclock settings on my GTX 560 Ti:

Voltage: 1112 mV
Core clock: 975 MHz
Memory clock: 2150 MHz.

My card seems to crash if I get memory too high..

Anyway, the exact model should be written on the box, it will also say the brand which made the card (gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, etc). For example mine is Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI

Thanks, I tried that setting and I haven't crashed yet while running benchmark a couple times. I still can't find the brand lol I believe it's EVGA though.

geekapproved said:
You bought a card that's slightly faster than a GTX460, but expected it to be way faster than a GTX460?
Waste of money in my opinion, you should have just overclocked your GTX460.

You're probably right, but I sold my 460 to my friend on the spot and needed something lol

DelroyMonjo said:
I have GTX 460's and they came stock at 763/1526/1900. I can overclock them to 820/1640/1900 without boosting the voltage from 0.962 V. Beyond that they become unreliable. I have o/c'ed them to 900/1800/2000 only by bumping the voltage to the max. allowed in MSI afterburner which is 1.08V. I don't run them that high though.
O/C'ing the video card only gives a 10%-15% boost in FPS. The real magic comes when you SLI them.

I could fit 2 more 560's on there, so I'll have to look into SLI'ing a little more, I thought a lot of games didn't support the SLI feature? Or at least the older games didn't.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 4:47:39 PM

Older games didn't (6-7 years old, that old), but you should be able to max them out without SLI anyway.
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:59:50 PM

Damn, after 10 minutes of BF3 campaign it crashed :(  But it was running so smooth, very impressed.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 5:01:32 PM

If the temperatures are ok, you can bump voltage even more :)  1135 should do the trick!
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:13:19 PM

Speaking on temps, what kind of temps are ok for GPU's?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 5:18:03 PM

Anything up to 80C is fine, though over 75C is considered high. The card won't have problems until 95C.
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:20:24 PM

Sunius said:
Anything up to 80C is fine, though over 75C is considered high. The card won't have problems until 95C.

Ah, well I hit 90C so I think I'm gonna underclock a little lol
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:27:05 PM

If you have case with a side panel fan grill, you can always put a fan on and blow it towards the GPU(s). It dropped the temps on my 460's by 10C, from 69 to 59C at load. Not a load like Furmark but game mode.
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:31:52 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
If you have case with a side panel fan grill, you can always put a fan on and blow it towards the GPU(s). It dropped the temps on my 460's by 10C, from 69 to 59C at load. Not a load like Furmark but game mode.

I have an old Alienware case that was given to me. Horrible ventilation in my opinion, but there's a rear 120mm fan (I think) that's right behind the GPU. I have it unplugged because it's so loud and my mobo doesn't control it for some reason, but a program in W7 can control it... Anyways, I'll plug it in a give it a shot. Thanks.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 5:38:14 PM

Ouch 90C is very high! My GTX 560 Ti doesn't go higher than 70C on BF3 on those overclock settings.
m
l
March 24, 2012 6:23:10 PM

Sunius said:
Ouch 90C is very high! My GTX 560 Ti doesn't go higher than 70C on BF3 on those overclock settings.

Yeah it is, I connected the rear case fan and the temp lowered to a consistent 80C, but it still said the max was 90C. I'm gonna reset it and see what happens.
m
l
March 24, 2012 6:27:08 PM

Yeah still running really hot, at 87F max. What about the GPU fan, I haven't seen it go over 50%, can I adjust that?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 6:55:37 PM

Yes! It should be available within your overclocking program. On MSI afterburner, which I use, I set it to get to 100% when I'm at 73C:
m
l
March 24, 2012 6:57:42 PM

Sunius said:
Yes! It should be available within your overclocking program. On MSI afterburner, which I use, I set it to get to 100% when I'm at 70C:

Sweet, I just enabled the fan curve feature, I'm going to set the curve similar to yours. Once I hit 70C I'll go to 100%. I set it manually to 70% and the temp dropped 10C so that's good news.
m
l
a c 75 Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 7:19:53 PM

james9120 said:
Thanks, I tried that setting and I haven't crashed yet while running benchmark a couple times. I still can't find the brand lol I believe it's EVGA though.

I'm a bit confused..... when ya bought the card, what card did you buy ? Check the Order Form...check the packing slip, what name is on the box ? what name is on the card ?

Quote:
I could fit 2 more 560's on there, so I'll have to look into SLI'ing a little more, I thought a lot of games didn't support the SLI feature? Or at least the older games didn't.

You can't SLI three 560 Ti's .... 2 is max. Two 560 Ti's @ 900 Mhz (862 fps in Guru3D game test suite) will outperform the 580 (616 fps) by 40%

My son's 560 Ti' are at 980 MHz for the summer (was at 1020 in winter) and, going by memory, the voltage is 1.0875 ..... temps w/ 2 cards in SLI are < 80C on the top card.

FALSEHOODS:

1. All 560 Ti's are created equal.
2. It makes no sense to get a factory overclocked card, you can overclock it to the same level yourself with Afterburner.

If it is an EVGA card I wouldn't expect much as to my knowledge all but the Classified version use the reference card's 4 phase VRM. The big overclocks that you see are generally on models such as the Asus 560 Ti DCII TOP which has an oversized and more efficient cooler design and 7 phase VRM.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

Here's the latest version of AfterBurner (2.2.0 Beta 15) for overclocking and setting fan profiles a well as OCCT which ya can use for your load testing.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-...

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:49:20 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I'm a bit confused..... when ya bought the card, what card did you buy ? Check the Order Form...check the packing slip, what name is on the box ? what name is on the card ?

Quote:

You can't SLI three 560 Ti's .... 2 is max. Two 560 Ti's @ 900 Mhz (862 fps in Guru3D game test suite) will outperform the 580 (616 fps) by 40%

My son's 560 Ti' are at 980 MHz for the summer (was at 1020 in winter) and, going by memory, the voltage is 1.0875 ..... temps w/ 2 cards in SLI are < 80C on the top card.

FALSEHOODS:

1. All 560 Ti's are created equal.
2. It makes no sense to get a factory overclocked card, you can overclock it to the same level yourself with Afterburner.

If it is an EVGA card I wouldn't expect much as to my knowledge all but the Classified version use the reference card's 4 phase VRM. The big overclocks that you see are generally on models such as the Asus 560 Ti DCII TOP which has an oversized and more efficient cooler design and 7 phase VRM.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

Here's the latest version of AfterBurner (2.2.0 Beta 15) for overclocking and setting fan profiles a well as OCCT which ya can use for your load testing.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-...

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

Thank you for clarifying that, I was assuming you could SLI three because the 460 I used to have supported 3 SLI.

I bought it at bestbuy, kinda regret that but I didn't have a card and needed something. The box just says "GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti" with Nvidia written all over it. I think a giant EVGA logo is covering the box, I'm not 100% sure though.
How exactly are there the same cards from different people? They just take the internals and basically mod them and come out with there own version?
And thanks for afterburner, I was using 2.1, didn't know there was a beta.
m
l
March 24, 2012 8:17:16 PM

I ran OCCT for over ten minutes and the highest temp I got was 85C. One thing I noticed was in afterburner the fan speed wouldn't go over 75%. The program said it was at the highest, and wouldn't allow me to enter 100%.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2012 8:17:50 PM

Only the GPU (that is, 1 chip) is made by nvidia, and everything else: PCB, memory, cooling, and the whole card is made by third party site, such as MSI or EVGA.

About the fan: I've no idea. Never encountered that.
m
l
March 24, 2012 8:26:24 PM

Sunius said:
Only the GPU (that is, 1 chip) is made by nvidia, and everything else: PCB, memory, cooling, and the whole card is made by third party site, such as MSI or EVGA.

About the fan: I've no idea. Never encountered that.

Ah I see, thanks.
Idk what to do about the fan, I'll try restarting.

Nope still stuck at 75%.
m
l
March 25, 2012 1:46:33 AM

I recently swapped my two 560 Ti's for a 680, and the gains have been marginal. So keep that in perspective, two of those babies are awesome for 1080p gaming.

I now have them in a machine that used to run a GTX 460, and 85% is how high the fan seems to go for me. Though realistically even with a slight overclock it's suspect that you need the fan so high... Especially when your temps don't seem to be benefiting from it.

Run a couple different monitoring programs at the same time, make sure they're all showing the same numbers.

Cause that OC with 75% fan speed shouldn't be near 80C, unless your case is horrid.
m
l
March 25, 2012 2:15:11 AM

noidis said:
I recently swapped my two 560 Ti's for a 680, and the gains have been marginal. So keep that in perspective, two of those babies are awesome for 1080p gaming.

I now have them in a machine that used to run a GTX 460, and 85% is how high the fan seems to go for me. Though realistically even with a slight overclock it's suspect that you need the fan so high... Especially when your temps don't seem to be benefiting from it.

Run a couple different monitoring programs at the same time, make sure they're all showing the same numbers.

Cause that OC with 75% fan speed shouldn't be near 80C, unless your case is horrid.

I checked with two programs, the highest I hit was around 80C. After more than an hour of BF3 I hit 82C at the highest OC, and fans at 75% since I can't hit 100% for some reason lol. Maybe it is my case... it is pretty junky, an old school Alienware case.
m
l
March 25, 2012 4:56:42 AM

Wow that's extremely odd. Never seen the subvendor listed as Nvidia(10DE)

But from my minor glancing about the web to discover why the manufacturer isn't listed it sounds like it could be a GPU bios problem.

If your GPU is running hot, how is your CPU doing? Is that OC'd? You wanna try and eliminate all the other possible factors that could be causing this problem. I'd also suggest you finding that box, to at the very least return it and get another one.

The 560 ti is a great card, yours is either just a bad egg, or there's some external factor (Heat seeming likely) making it problematic.
m
l
March 25, 2012 5:33:52 AM

noidis said:
Wow that's extremely odd. Never seen the subvendor listed as Nvidia(10DE)

But from my minor glancing about the web to discover why the manufacturer isn't listed it sounds like it could be a GPU bios problem.

If your GPU is running hot, how is your CPU doing? Is that OC'd? You wanna try and eliminate all the other possible factors that could be causing this problem. I'd also suggest you finding that box, to at the very least return it and get another one.

The 560 ti is a great card, yours is either just a bad egg, or there's some external factor (Heat seeming likely) making it problematic.

Yeah I have no idea what brand it is... But I don't think I can return it, bestbuy policies... At the best I think they would just give me another one. But this one is running good, just gets hot on a 975mhz OC. And I can't run the fan higher than 75% -_-. Also my case is kinda crap, Just a front fan in the HDD bay and a rear exhaust fan. The stats on Nvidia's site say the card can run as hot as 99C safely, so I (don't think) 80C is doing damage, but I may be wrong lol.

A little off topic, but is there an easy way to just copy and paste the complete stats of my computer? Like motherboard, CPU, the speeds, RAM, etc.
m
l
March 25, 2012 6:43:57 AM

james9120 said:
Yeah I have no idea what brand it is... But I don't think I can return it, bestbuy policies... At the best I think they would just give me another one. But this one is running good, just gets hot on a 975mhz OC. And I can't run the fan higher than 75% -_-. Also my case is kinda crap, Just a front fan in the HDD bay and a rear exhaust fan. The stats on Nvidia's site say the card can run as hot as 99C safely, so I (don't think) 80C is doing damage, but I may be wrong lol.

A little off topic, but is there an easy way to just copy and paste the complete stats of my computer? Like motherboard, CPU, the speeds, RAM, etc.

Yeah you're not at the limit, but the fact it's getting that hot is just odd. I mean even in my old case which had sub-par airflow mine was hitting the low 70's after a few hours of testing.

As for the specs being posted easily, yeah. Just use CPU-z Click the validate button, Submit, and it'll take you to a page you can copy-paste the info from.

Also can give you a nice spiffy signature to make it easier when asking help =D
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 25, 2012 10:33:35 AM

It's called 'reference card', because it's made by NVIDIA. They are by no means bad, just they are rare :)  Don't worry about it!
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 25, 2012 10:57:56 AM

There were several articles a while back that mentioned Nvidia were going to be selling their branded cards through Best Buy, what you have is an expensive OEM card.
m
l
March 25, 2012 2:42:06 PM

noidis said:
Yeah you're not at the limit, but the fact it's getting that hot is just odd. I mean even in my old case which had sub-par airflow mine was hitting the low 70's after a few hours of testing.

As for the specs being posted easily, yeah. Just use CPU-z Click the validate button, Submit, and it'll take you to a page you can copy-paste the info from.

Also can give you a nice spiffy signature to make it easier when asking help =D

Thanks, I'll do that then.
Sunius said:
It's called 'reference card', because it's made by NVIDIA. They are by no means bad, just they are rare :)  Don't worry about it!

Mousemonkey said:
There were several articles a while back that mentioned Nvidia were going to be selling their branded cards through Best Buy, what you have is an expensive OEM card.

Thanks for clearing that up, I only bought it because I got it $100 off lol. Now, can I pair it with SLI with a 560 from another brand? Which ones are compatible?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 25, 2012 2:52:39 PM

Only GTX 560 Ti's are compatible, with 1 GB of RAM. The brand doesn't matter. Also, normal GTX 560s won't work!
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:07:24 PM

Sunius said:
Only GTX 560 Ti's are compatible, with 1 GB of RAM. The brand doesn't matter. Also, normal GTX 560s won't work!

Thanks, what about models such as the TwinFrozr II w/ 1gb? With those fancy models work, and are they even worth spending the extra $$ on?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 25, 2012 3:11:22 PM

They work. If you're planning to overclock both cards, I'd get either Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCU II because when you have 2 of them, the upper card will get hotter. And if you're planning to overclock them, you'll need the improved cooling.

However, you have to note that both cards must work at same frequency, so if you overclock one, you have to overclock another one too.
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:39:30 PM

Sunius said:
They work. If you're planning to overclock both cards, I'd get either Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCU II because when you have 2 of them, the upper card will get hotter. And if you're planning to overclock them, you'll need the improved cooling.

However, you have to note that both cards must work at same frequency, so if you overclock one, you have to overclock another one too.

I'm kinda confused on how to connect them. The instructions say to put the second card in the slot farthest away, but I believe the PCI slot farthest away is only a x8 and not x16 like the other two.
m
l
March 26, 2012 2:42:09 AM

james9120 said:
I'm kinda confused on how to connect them. The instructions say to put the second card in the slot farthest away, but I believe the PCI slot farthest away is only a x8 and not x16 like the other two.

I'm assuming you mean how do you connect the two cards in terms of SLI?

If that's the case, it's simply by connecting the SLI bridge (Which should have come with one of the cards you purchased). It connects over the top on each card and it's that simple.

Make sure you enable SLI in the menu's as well.
m
l
March 26, 2012 2:46:44 AM

noidis said:
I'm assuming you mean how do you connect the two cards in terms of SLI?

If that's the case, it's simply by connecting the SLI bridge (Which should have come with one of the cards you purchased). It connects over the top on each card and it's that simple.

Make sure you enable SLI in the menu's as well.

That part I get, what I don't understand is that the instructions say to insert the cards like this... I have 3 PCI slots, so 1 2 3. The first two are x16, and the 3rd is x8. The instructions say plug the cards in the 1 and 3 slot. So one card would be at full 16x, and the other only 8x. Can I just plug the card into the # 2 slot instead? If It'll even fit lol
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2012 5:02:05 AM

It will fit in any PCIe slot, speed doesn't matter. I wouldn't worry about PCIe x8, as GTX 560 Ti will not saturate the full bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x8 slot. The reason for this is that our PCIe tech is way ahead of modern graphics cards, even GTX 680 doesn't fully saturate PCIe 2.0 x16.

If you plug one card into x8 slot and another into x16 slot, they will both run at x8 speed, but don't worry about it! The performance won't drop. Remember, when cards run in SLI, they run in synchronized mode, each rendering every second frame, so they must run at exactly same speed.

The reason for placing the cards into the slots that are furthest away from each other is heat. Usually, temps are higher in SLI, and if you place them close together, the lower card will 'cook' the upper one. Also, make sure the card with better cool to be the top one.

Last thing, do not forget the SLI bridge! It won't work without it.
m
l
!