EB Games Employee with 360 info

So I go into EB games to cancel my 360 pre-order and they have two guys
working. One is the normal "I play video games in my free time so why not
work here" while the other is the "I went to E3 and read every magazine"
kind of guy. I tell them that I want to cancel my pre order because of the
HDD thing.
Average Joe says, "Won't they both have a hard drive."

Technoguy says, "nope, just the high end one."

Joe says, "WTF, that is stupid. I thought the only difference was that the
core one wouldn't feature a removable Hard drive."

I say, "No, I heard none at all."

Techno guy says, "No, he's right but there is a saving grace."

I figure, I have to hear this because maybe he knows something that will
give me some faith in the future. He then says that he heard from his guy
at MS that it is going to feature 1GB of flash ram.

Techno: I don't know of very many games that will use more than a gig of
flash ram.

Me: What about Oblivion?

Techno: Yeah, well maybe Oblivion.

Me: Well damn, that is the only game I want the freakin system for!
Transfer my money over to Burnout Revenge and GTA for PSP.

Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the 360
on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
disparity.

> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the 360
> on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
> disparity.

Well Flash Ram is pretty damn slow and pointless.

I call bogus on this.
Actually, I would call Bo and Gus to help you out but they have more
important things to do right now.

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the
360
> on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
> disparity.

Flash ram is like what is used in a memory card or a USB memory stick.

You can only use it for saving. The 360 memory card will be 64 megabytes of
flash ram for $40. The 1GB of flash ram was just a rumor when reports of the
360 not having a hard drive trickled out and is definitely untrue. You can
simply go to MS's website and see what is in the 360, they aren't going to
have any hidden features like that...

> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the
> 360 on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
> disparity.

I can't see what the logic in that would be.

A hard drive would be cheaper and much faster.

steven

the guys who make oblivion have already been interviewed and they said you
can run the game with or without the hardrive, all developers have known
about this for about a year.

so theres no big deal, im buying the premium version, if you dont want to
pay thatm then get the core and buy the hardrive later, simple I dont know
what the fuss is.

"steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
> the guys who make oblivion have already been interviewed and they said you
> can run the game with or without the hardrive, all developers have known
> about this for about a year.
>
> so theres no big deal, im buying the premium version, if you dont want to
> pay thatm then get the core and buy the hardrive later, simple I dont know
> what the fuss is.

I have no intention of getting the core. What you failed to leave out is
that the guys from Oblivion said there would be a performance difference
between the core system and the premium version. That means there will be
some developers who do not want this disparity so they will program for the
lowest denominator, the core.

> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> So I go into EB games to cancel my 360 pre-order and they have two guys
>> working. One is the normal "I play video games in my free time so why
>> not work here" while the other is the "I went to E3 and read every
>> magazine" kind of guy. I tell them that I want to cancel my pre order
>> because of the HDD thing.
>> Average Joe says, "Won't they both have a hard drive."
>>
>> Technoguy says, "nope, just the high end one."
>>
>> Joe says, "WTF, that is stupid. I thought the only difference was that
>> the core one wouldn't feature a removable Hard drive."
>>
>> I say, "No, I heard none at all."
>>
>> Techno guy says, "No, he's right but there is a saving grace."
>>
>> I figure, I have to hear this because maybe he knows something that will
>> give me some faith in the future. He then says that he heard from his
>> guy at MS that it is going to feature 1GB of flash ram.
>>
>> Techno: I don't know of very many games that will use more than a gig of
>> flash ram.
>>
>> Me: What about Oblivion?
>>
>> Techno: Yeah, well maybe Oblivion.
>>
>> Me: Well damn, that is the only game I want the freakin system for!
>> Transfer my money over to Burnout Revenge and GTA for PSP.
>>

>> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
>> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the
>> 360 on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
>> disparity.

You just lost what little credibility you had. Your subject line is an
oxymoron. Those game store clerks are about as reliable as a 2-cent
rubber. Fess up, you don't TEACH Special Education, you are IN Special
Education, aren't you? Thanks for the big laugh and please keep
consulting with your "experts".

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> So I go into EB games to cancel my 360 pre-order and they have two guys
> working. One is the normal "I play video games in my free time so why not
> work here" while the other is the "I went to E3 and read every magazine"
> kind of guy. I tell them that I want to cancel my pre order because of the
> HDD thing.
> Average Joe says, "Won't they both have a hard drive."
>
> Technoguy says, "nope, just the high end one."
>
> Joe says, "WTF, that is stupid. I thought the only difference was that the
> core one wouldn't feature a removable Hard drive."
>
> I say, "No, I heard none at all."
>
> Techno guy says, "No, he's right but there is a saving grace."
>
> I figure, I have to hear this because maybe he knows something that will
> give me some faith in the future. He then says that he heard from his guy
> at MS that it is going to feature 1GB of flash ram.
>
> Techno: I don't know of very many games that will use more than a gig of
> flash ram.
>
> Me: What about Oblivion?
>
> Techno: Yeah, well maybe Oblivion.
>
> Me: Well damn, that is the only game I want the freakin system for!
> Transfer my money over to Burnout Revenge and GTA for PSP.
>

> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the 360
> on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
> disparity.

How thick headed are you imbeciles anyway? Allard told the developers
to NOT PROGRAM FOR A HARD DRIVE, OVER A YEAR AGO. He just restated this
last Sunday. The hard drive is for storing music and videos. The only
game function it will have is for game saves, that is it. Can it be
made any more simple? The game developers are not programming for a
hard drive <period>. Why don't you morons get this?

steven wrote:
> the only difference in the coding is wether a game will cache to the
> hardrive or not, if you know anything about programming, the time this would
> take would be negligible.
>
> Given that in the original xbox, hardly any game actually did cache any
> information, i think the same will happen this time, that when a game can
> benefit from caching it will be done as in a RPG, as the people behind
> oblivion are doing. I believe as many others do it will make no difference.
>
> Of course Im sure if developers insist this is a problem, then Microsoft
> will bundle a hardrive with the core machine, for a slightly higher price.
>
> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
> >> the guys who make oblivion have already been interviewed and they said
> >> you can run the game with or without the hardrive, all developers have
> >> known about this for about a year.
> >>
> >> so theres no big deal, im buying the premium version, if you dont want to
> >> pay thatm then get the core and buy the hardrive later, simple I dont
> >> know what the fuss is.
> >>

> > I have no intention of getting the core. What you failed to leave out is
> > that the guys from Oblivion said there would be a performance difference
> > between the core system and the premium version. That means there will be
> > some developers who do not want this disparity so they will program for
> > the lowest denominator, the core.
> >
> >> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

> That means there will be
>some developers who do not want this disparity so they will program for the
>lowest denominator, the core.

EXACTLY! So right out of the gate we will have developers who will
deliberately NOT be using the full power of the system, because of
this stupid, trite decision by M$.

They're already unhappy with how difficult the 360 is to program
.....why the hell should they be expected to make TWO VERSIONS of a
game? They won't. Like you said, they will have to opt for the
"core" version.

Bilgecunt savored the following kill:

> [G]ame store clerks are about as reliable as a 2-cent rubber.

If there was such a thing as a 2-cent rubber, it is without a doubt
you'd know where to buy one. Or a gross.

steven

> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Don't know what you are trying to accomplish other than adding another
> person to the masses who feel you are about as useful as a 12 year old
altar
> girl in the Catholic Church.

PFOF-LMMFAO!

steven

well actually they are using it for caching purposed as the makers of
oblivion have already stated.

Blig Merk wrote:

> The game developers are not programming for a
> hard drive <period>. Why don't you morons get this?

Bligmerk spanking #237 in a series of infinity-minus-one:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/22/news_6131673.html

"This generation, our first-party team and our exclusive-content developers
are just as committed to using the hard drive, and like they demonstrated
with this generation, our third-party cross-platform developers are
committed as well. Games like Splinter Cell, Madden, and Tony Hawk all
demonstrated unique capabilities in hard-drive configured systems."

Oh, and I almost forgot: THE BITCH IS NEVER RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING!!!111 I
SAVOR TEH KILL!!!!1111

As you were.

-Z-

steven wrote:
> well actually they are using it for caching purposed as the makers of
> oblivion have already stated.

But that is dumb.
Did you know Rogue Galaxy from Level-5 will have 0 load times on PS2.
And I don't mean 0 as in 5-10 seconds if you add up all the load times
in the game like God of War. Nor do I mean you will be looking at a
pretty picture while the next stage loads like in Jak and Daxter.

I'm talking 0 load times.. As in 0 throughout the entire 100 hour plus RPG.

Look mom, no Hard Drive.

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>Don't know what you are trying to accomplish other than adding another
>>person to the masses who feel you are about as useful as a 12 year old
>
> altar
>
>>girl in the Catholic Church.

Hey, stop making fun of my girlfriend.

I think MS has forgotten that their competition is Sony, and not
Nintendo Revolution. Or, they've simply grown too arrogant. To be
honest, seeing the Xbox 360
(http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/images/officialxbox3601.jpg) and PS3
(http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0009PRCNO.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg).. the
PS3 looks like the master, and the 360 a playful slave. This coming
from someone who essentially despises the PS2. (all of my favorite
titles are on the Xbox) Who knows? I think much depends on the quality
of the 360's launch titles. (Call of Duty, Tony Hawk, etc..)

Zackcrybabybitch self-spanking #1005 wrote:

> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/22/news_6131673.html
>
> "This generation, our first-party team and our exclusive-content developers
> are just as committed to using the hard drive, and like they demonstrated
> with this generation, our third-party cross-platform developers are
> committed as well. Games like Splinter Cell, Madden, and Tony Hawk all
> demonstrated unique capabilities in hard-drive configured systems."

Oh, this is really a good one. What the hell is "unique capabilities"?
Allard is so scared of making a definite statement that he pulls this
one out of his asshat. Here is a "unique capability". Doh, is there a
hard drive? If yes, then use it for game saves instead of the memory
card. Wow, very impressive! Then, there are the game examples.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Splinter Cell, Madden, Tony Hawk? What the hell?
Isn't Splinter Cell in its 5th sequel? Madden must be up to about 10
and Tony Hawk, there must be 20 or 30 of those. They never needed or
even used the hard drive in the first place, and now all of a sudden
they will? I am really having a hard time not spewing my drink on the
screen at this point. You and Duncequeer are so funny with your
continuous fumbling for some justification or solution of this
splitting of the market, you make my sides hurt from laughing at you
two idiots. The configuration difference is just making the situation
sloppier and sloppier every day. It is going to be a riot on launch day
with people that aren't keeping up and finding out the hard way about
memory cards and hard drives, which is which and when. Don't act stupid
and pretend like you don't know what that means. Well, all you know is
how to act stupid, so you will anyway.

> Oh, and I almost forgot: THE BITCH IS NEVER RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING!!!111 I
> SAVOR TEH KILL!!!!1111

It is easy to tell when you are upset to the boiling point, you always
fall back to l33t sp3Ak, after telling other people not to do such
stupid things. You are such a psycho-schizo contradictory wise and beautiful woman, your
head must feel like it is splitting in two. You have not only gone from
Teemonkey's apologist, to reaching a mentally disturbed state far
exceeding that nutcase. You aren't just mentally disturbed, you are
mentally ill. Get back on your meds, bitch.

Blig Merk wrote:
> Zackcrybabybitch self-spanking #1005 wrote:
>
> > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/22/news_6131673.html
> >
> > "This generation, our first-party team and our exclusive-content developers
> > are just as committed to using the hard drive, and like they demonstrated
> > with this generation, our third-party cross-platform developers are
> > committed as well. Games like Splinter Cell, Madden, and Tony Hawk all
> > demonstrated unique capabilities in hard-drive configured systems."
>
> Oh, this is really a good one. What the hell is "unique capabilities"?
> Allard is so scared of making a definite statement that he pulls this
> one out of his asshat. Here is a "unique capability". Doh, is there a
> hard drive? If yes, then use it for game saves instead of the memory
> card. Wow, very impressive! Then, there are the game examples.
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Splinter Cell, Madden, Tony Hawk? What the hell?
> Isn't Splinter Cell in its 5th sequel? Madden must be up to about 10
> and Tony Hawk, there must be 20 or 30 of those. They never needed or
> even used the hard drive in the first place, and now all of a sudden
> they will? I am really having a hard time not spewing my drink on the
> screen at this point. You and Duncequeer are so funny with your
> continuous fumbling for some justification or solution of this
> splitting of the market, you make my sides hurt from laughing at you
> two idiots. The configuration difference is just making the situation
> sloppier and sloppier every day. It is going to be a riot on launch day
> with people that aren't keeping up and finding out the hard way about
> memory cards and hard drives, which is which and when. Don't act stupid
> and pretend like you don't know what that means. Well, all you know is
> how to act stupid, so you will anyway.
>
> > Oh, and I almost forgot: THE BITCH IS NEVER RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING!!!111 I
> > SAVOR TEH KILL!!!!1111
>
> It is easy to tell when you are upset to the boiling point, you always
> fall back to l33t sp3Ak, after telling other people not to do such
> stupid things. You are such a psycho-schizo contradictory wise and beautiful woman, your
> head must feel like it is splitting in two. You have not only gone from
> Teemonkey's apologist, to reaching a mentally disturbed state far
> exceeding that nutcase. You aren't just mentally disturbed, you are
> mentally ill. Get back on your meds, bitch.

http://www.supercheaprx.com/Prozac.php?source=jakeadwords&term=prozac

HTH

Jordan

I don't know about Madden or Tony Hawk because I don't own those games,
but Splinter Cell had new levels that could be loaded on the HD either
from demo discs or downloaded from Xbox Live. Pretty good use of the HD
that you aren't going to see on, say, the PS2.

Or did they come out with a Kola Cell, Vskella Infiltration and Vskella
Submarine expansion for the PS2 and I just missed it? Oh, and the I Spy
maps for Pandora Tomorrow and Steel Squat for Chaos Theory?

- Jordan

Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:

> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with the 360
> on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of performance
> disparity.

For game saves, 1GB would be plenty.

I guess you could also store some songs to it as well, for use as
customized soundtracks (1GB ~= 133 songs at "near CD" quality) as well as
download some game content (eg. maps) from the internet.

But for more I/O intensive tasks, such as caching game data while you're
playing, it wouldn't work so well.

Just one small problem... 1GB of flash ram costs about as much the HDD.
It doesn't make sense that the low-end would have the flash, but the high
end would have the HDD.

steven <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote:
> the only difference in the coding is wether a game will cache to the
> hardrive or not, if you know anything about programming, the time this would
> take would be negligible.

Actually, it's not quite as trivial as you might think.

In systems that don't have a HDD, developers have learned to place files
on the CD or DVD in such a way that load and seek times can be minimized.

If, on the other hand, you have a system that's going to load a large
chunk of the game into a secondary cache (HDD) then you'll probably want
to arrange the files on the disk in a different manner to better
facilitate this.

While you could make a game that would do both of these, the problem is
that it's going to take extra resources to develop.

Sure, you could create a game that would transparentally use the HDD as a
cache, but this would mean that if you play that game on a system that
doesn't have the HDD, it's going to have significantly longer loadtimes.

The result will be that developers will simply save their time and effort
and design their games to NOT use the HDD to enhance performance.

You can look at what happend to the PS2's HDD when it was introduced as an
accessory...

By making the HDD optional, it basically means that NO game can REQUIRE
the HDD so even if they wanted to use it, they have to assume the user
doesn't have one. In other words - none of them will bother.

> Given that in the original xbox, hardly any game actually did cache any
> information, i think the same will happen this time, that when a game can
> benefit from caching it will be done as in a RPG, as the people behind
> oblivion are doing. I believe as many others do it will make no difference.

> Of course Im sure if developers insist this is a problem, then Microsoft
> will bundle a hardrive with the core machine, for a slightly higher price.

I think it's pretty clear by J Allard's (the real one, that is) interview
that Microsoft only cares about one thing - price points. That's the only
reason they withheld the HDD from the Core unit, as well as went with this
assinine pricing scheme... Otherwise, why didn't they just come out with
*one* unit, that came with the HDD, for something like $350? Obviously
the HDD doesn't cost Microsoft $100, as that'd mean they're losing over
$200 on the accessories alone if you buy the higher end unit.

> Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Is 1GB of flash ram enough to make the HDD performance difference
>> negligible? I don't know so I am asking. If it is, I may stay with
>> the 360 on launch but if there is a difference, I want no part of
>> performance disparity.
>
> For game saves, 1GB would be plenty.
>
> I guess you could also store some songs to it as well, for use as
> customized soundtracks (1GB ~= 133 songs at "near CD" quality) as well
> as download some game content (eg. maps) from the internet.
>
> But for more I/O intensive tasks, such as caching game data while
> you're playing, it wouldn't work so well.
>
> Just one small problem... 1GB of flash ram costs about as much the
> HDD. It doesn't make sense that the low-end would have the flash, but
> the high end would have the HDD.

I am sure in the long run, the failure rate of flash ram would be much
lower than an HDD.