Sign in with
Your question

New computer build that is giving me a unsolved problem!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2012 5:15:27 PM

Alright so I bought and built my own computer about a month ago. Here are the specs:

Mobo: ASUS|P8Z77-V DELUXE Z77 LGA1155
PSU: CORSAIR| CMPSU-650HX 650W RT
CPU: INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R
SSD: 128G|CRUCIAL CT128M4SSD2CCA R
MEM: 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM
WATER COOLER: CORSAIR| CWCH80 R
GPU: Galaxy GTX 680 2GB
Monitor: MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 2MS VG236H RT

If you need anymore components please let me know.

Here's the problem. I installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on my SSD. The first thing I installed is the video drivers for the GPU. Upon reboot to complete the driver installation the computer hangs at the windows 7 logo screen for about 5 minutes. The computer finally loads windows (at least i think) but the monitor is not able to get a DVI signal from the video card.

Troubleshooting performed: Tried running power to the GPU using 2 separate rails from the PSU, however this just caused the computer to freeze at the windows 7 logo. The GTX 680 works in my old build with an Asus a8-n sli premium and my old GPU a geforce 8600 GTS works fine in the new motherboard. I talked to Galaxy, the card manufacturer, and they said its a mobo problem since the card works on a different mobo. I called Asus and they wanted me to RMA the board. After a week and 2 days I got the mobo back and still had the exact same problem. Once again which again is the monitor not picking up a signal from the GPU after the computer hangs at the win 7 logo for around 5 minutes. After the mobo came back from the RMA I thought I would try a different power supply. I upped the wattage from 650 to 700 and I still had the same problem. So as far as I can see the GPU is fine, the PSU is fine, the CPU is fine. Is it really the motherboard with the issue??

I called Asus and they are now setting me up with a "premium RMA" I get a new, most likely same model, motherboard. I have a feeling this isn't going to fix the problem and they told me if this doesn't work then the problem lies with another component in my computer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Spent way too much money on this computer for it to be sitting around for a month!

Thanks in advance.

More about : computer build giving unsolved problem

a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 5:38:03 PM

It's unlikely a motherboard problem.

Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers before installing the gpu drivers?

If it is

m
l
May 25, 2012 5:48:07 PM

I think i did before I RMA'd the board but I didn't when i got it back so I'll try that now.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 5:52:19 PM

That's the first thing you do after you install windows.

U need Lan driver, audio driver, usb, etc., sometimes they are all in one package, sometimes they need to be installed individuallyl.

Then you install the graphics driver, then get all your windows updates.
m
l
May 25, 2012 6:19:08 PM

I looked in my device manager to see if there were anymore unknown devices. I updated all of the drivers except for the "PCI simple communications Controller" not sure what this what would satisfy this device on the mother board CD. Is it important to have?
m
l
May 25, 2012 6:25:31 PM

Does the monitor go into standby?
m
l
May 25, 2012 6:47:46 PM

geekapproved: Installed the chipset drivers and the same results happened

vrumur: After the win 7 logo the monitor shows a "no DVI signal" message and the back light turns off and the power LED goes from blue to amber. So I think that is standby?

m
l
May 25, 2012 6:49:33 PM

Did you try powering the monitor off and back on when it goes to standby? Thats the amber color.
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:44:14 PM

yep, after the power cycle it said the samething. no DVI signal and went back into standby
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:45:21 PM

Try another port. HDMI or RGB.
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:52:26 PM

ya tried the HDMI inputs but still couldnt get a signal. don't think i have a DVI to RGB converter. The monitor and GPU doesn't have a RGB port. It does have component out on the monitor but the GPU doesnt have an in for component.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 7:56:44 PM

here is my comment from the peanut gallery:

did you enable the PEG as the primary graphics output in the BIOS?

maybe just start over from scratch; install W7, mobo drivers then GPU drivers.
m
l
May 25, 2012 8:04:12 PM

Tonio86 said:
Alright so I bought and built my own computer about a month ago. Here are the specs:

Mobo: ASUS|P8Z77-V DELUXE Z77 LGA1155
PSU: CORSAIR| CMPSU-650HX 650W RT
CPU: INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R
SSD: 128G|CRUCIAL CT128M4SSD2CCA R
MEM: 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM
WATER COOLER: CORSAIR| CWCH80 R
GPU: Galaxy GTX 680 2GB
Monitor: MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 2MS VG236H RT

If you need anymore components please let me know.

Here's the problem. I installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on my SSD. The first thing I installed is the video drivers for the GPU. Upon reboot to complete the driver installation the computer hangs at the windows 7 logo screen for about 5 minutes. The computer finally loads windows (at least i think) but the monitor is not able to get a DVI signal from the video card.

Troubleshooting performed: Tried running power to the GPU using 2 separate rails from the PSU, however this just caused the computer to freeze at the windows 7 logo. The GTX 680 works in my old build with an Asus a8-n sli premium and my old GPU a geforce 8600 GTS works fine in the new motherboard. I talked to Galaxy, the card manufacturer, and they said its a mobo problem since the card works on a different mobo. I called Asus and they wanted me to RMA the board. After a week and 2 days I got the mobo back and still had the exact same problem. Once again which again is the monitor not picking up a signal from the GPU after the computer hangs at the win 7 logo for around 5 minutes. After the mobo came back from the RMA I thought I would try a different power supply. I upped the wattage from 650 to 700 and I still had the same problem. So as far as I can see the GPU is fine, the PSU is fine, the CPU is fine. Is it really the motherboard with the issue??

I called Asus and they are now setting me up with a "premium RMA" I get a new, most likely same model, motherboard. I have a feeling this isn't going to fix the problem and they told me if this doesn't work then the problem lies with another component in my computer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Spent way too much money on this computer for it to be sitting around for a month!

Thanks in advance.

With what you've said the two things that immediately stick out as possible problems are either the SSD locking up or the video drivers. Did you load the marvel drivers for the SSD? At this point I would download the latest drivers for the SSD, reinstall windows DONT reload the graphics drivers. After install is done run the computer and even reboot it a few times, if it doesnt lock up after say the tenth boot then install your graphics drivers, again reboot a few times. If the problem comes back you'll quickly be able to narrow it down as to what could be wrong.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:29:39 PM

Anonymous said:
here is my comment from the peanut gallery:

did you enable the PEG as the primary graphics output in the BIOS?

maybe just start over from scratch; install W7, mobo drivers then GPU drivers.

Not sure where this would be under in the BIOS. Is PEG for like if you have an on-board GPU? so you want me to make the PCI-E slot the primary output? the board doesn't have an on-board GPU. I'll look for it though.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2012 9:36:17 PM

your i5 has an igpu.

PEG is Pci-E Graphics. also for fun enable multi monitor support for your igpu to save any problems down the road when hooking up a monitor to the motherboard.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:38:39 PM

mmilner1 said:
With what you've said the two things that immediately stick out as possible problems are either the SSD locking up or the video drivers. Did you load the marvel drivers for the SSD? At this point I would download the latest drivers for the SSD, reinstall windows DONT reload the graphics drivers. After install is done run the computer and even reboot it a few times, if it doesnt lock up after say the tenth boot then install your graphics drivers, again reboot a few times. If the problem comes back you'll quickly be able to narrow it down as to what could be wrong.

Well I solved the lock up at the windows 7 screen. It was when i was connecting the GPU to 2 separate rails for power from the PSU. It boots up nice and quick with the GTX 680 in, but the monitor just says no signal. I know it boots up to windows because i hear a program that makes a beeping noise at the desktop. Totally starting over....done that so many timessss ahhhh!
m
l
May 25, 2012 10:34:56 PM

Anonymous said:
your i5 has an igpu.

PEG is Pci-E Graphics. also for fun enable multi monitor support for your igpu to save any problems down the road when hooking up a monitor to the motherboard.

Couldn't find an option to make my PEG the main video output...I did find the multi-monitor option and turned it on
m
l
!