zulu

If I choose *View>List* with _files_, I get the sizes
If I choose *View>List* with _folders_, I don't.

Is there a fix for this, or is it yet another Windows *feature*?

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:04:53 GMT, zulu wrote:

> If I choose *View>List* with _files_, I get the sizes
> If I choose *View>List* with _folders_, I don't.
>
> Is there a fix for this, or is it yet another Windows *feature*?

It's a "feature" that's been around for several Windows versions.
Workaround: Select a group (of files, folders or both), then right click
for Properties. That will bring up a screen showing "total size" and "total
size on disk."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

zulu

That doesn't give me the opportunity to select a random group of folders to
burn to a DVD so that I can utilise most of the space.
....see Ramesh's post and my reply to it.
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:04:53 GMT, zulu wrote:
>
>> If I choose *View>List* with _files_, I get the sizes
>> If I choose *View>List* with _folders_, I don't.
>>
>> Is there a fix for this, or is it yet another Windows *feature*?
>
> It's a "feature" that's been around for several Windows versions.
> Workaround: Select a group (of files, folders or both), then right click
> for Properties. That will bring up a screen showing "total size" and
> "total
> size on disk."
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Add the "Folder Size" column in Detailed view of a folder:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/foldersize.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:9ahFd.378$0z6.272@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
If I choose *View>List* with _files_, I get the sizes
If I choose *View>List* with _folders_, I don't.

Is there a fix for this, or is it yet another Windows *feature*?

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
150DPI

zulu

OK, TYVM, I did that OK. :)

My only problem is that using *Ctrl & +* doesn't resize the column width,
so the column is still about 4 inches wide!
I did drag it across to put it (*folder size*) next to *size*
How *exaclly* do I get the width narrower please?
(Double clicking the top of the column doesn't fix it either, and I can't
drag it smaller).

--
¦ zulu ¦

Add the "Folder Size" column in Detailed view of a folder:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/foldersize.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
If I choose *View>List* with _files_, I get the sizes
If I choose *View>List* with _folders_, I don't.

Is there a fix for this, or is it yet another Windows *feature*?

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
150DPI

Zulu,

Use the "+" key in the numeric key pad.

IOW, (from David Candy)

Ctrl + Number Pad Plus Key in Explorer (Auto sizes all columns)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:xHrFd.239$fd4.25@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
[...]

Ah!
I just _knew_ it would be something obvious!
Darn it...truth is, I hardly ever use the numeric keypad...
I now realise that I have got to the time of life when I am forgetting
faster than I am learning!
TYVM :)

[...]

You're welcome Zulu :)

--