Kingsdown77

Honorable
May 19, 2012
My set up:

Processor: intel i5 750 2.67GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600, 4 2GB Ripjaws sticks
GPU: NVIDIA geforce GTX550 Ti, includes DVI cable
Motherboard: MSI p55-GD65, SLI and Crossfire ready

Do you think that this set up would be able to run BF3 smoothly?
I did the systemrequirementslab and the only thing I didn't pass was the recommended GPU.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Yes in theory it will run BF3, not at any great settings but it will run it.

I would suggest changing the gpu to a real card and then upgrading cpu/mobo later and selling your old components for whatever you can get to throw towards your new machine.

Is there any chance you can return the 550ti card and upgrade to something that ocs better, cools better, performs better for a minimal price difference.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

the 67xx series outperforms it. You can get a 6850 (oc edition) oc it pretty high and have almost equal performance of a 560ti for $30-$40 more than what you paid for the 550ti.

Yes it will run the game (at whatever settings, can disable 1 or 2 things to make it run better) but other than that your best bet would be to order a more powerful card when you aquire the cash, sell your 550ti and put that + whatever you have saved up towards something better.

I bought two 6950 2GB to run BF3 (one is currently under RMA now) when it messed up I decided to drop my power usage by 50%~, reduce noise polution by 25%~, Equal temps, performs on par with dual 69xx cards ez.

Yes I wasted $600 on two gpus. but that was my first gpu purchase (thought I would need it to run BF3) *much like how you think you need 550ti to run BF3* and then comes along a card that offers the things I listed in the above line for $200 less than what I paid for my two cards.

SLI/CF you are tempting but a single more powerful card always prevails

550ti is not the most powerful card for its price/performance, therefore I recommend buying something else.

This forums is all over Nvidia's testies so you will always see it recommended on here before any AMD cards.

My regular forums is all over PRICE/Performance ratio and want the best bang for buck. With 550ti never being a card that is mentioned.

Let me know what is the most you would spend on a gpu within the next few weeks and then once you find the card you want you can begin upgrading the rest of your components afterwards once you collect more cash.

The 550ti in my opinion was not made for hardcore gaming like BF3 64player maps. 2GB vram is what you want for 1080p resolution gaming. So take my word to heart and try to find yourself a better gpu.

I.E. you could have spent $25 more and got this card :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127576

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

lol yeah I planned on keeping them till 8xxx/7xx series but glad I upgraded em.

Yeah most likely I will sell the cards asap and either pick up another 670 or a IPS or TN Panel monitor :) (ofc one of them I am getting for christmas, just not sure which yet :3 )

To add to your comment at top, 1 6950 was running BF3 1080p Vsync 60fps max settings 0x AA at 1080p.

My brothers ASUS DCII 6970 2GB rapes BF3 1080p 60fps :)

Russosaur

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I got a buddy that runs BF3 on an AMD Athlon II 250 Regor X2 or something with a 550Ti @ 1280x1024 on Medium settings at 60fps (he claims) with no AA and no AF or very little. Depends on resolution you want to play at. @ 1080P you are going to want at least a 560Ti. Before you buy the game see if you got any friends that own it on PC. Ask them to let you login with their account download the game and see how it runs, I did this with my friend because he wanted to see how it would run on his rig, I just spent the day at his house as it downloaded to watch to make sure he didn't mess things up on my acc.