Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Low Performance

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 16, 2012 7:47:40 PM

Hello,
my computer performance decreased
pentium 4 3.00ghz Ht
2 gb ram
nvidia 9600gt 512mb
windows xp sp 3
i used to run gta iv all smooth at 20 fps
1 year ago
but now performance decrease, even games like age of empires 3 has 5-6 fps.
i have reinstalled windows, updated all drivers
no results
please help

More about : low performance

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2012 9:10:30 PM

Hi :) 

Virus or hard drive failing...as a guess...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 16, 2012 9:21:41 PM

I would download Avast and Malwarebytes, both are free. After you have it downloade run a full scan and see if it comes up with anything.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 6:39:24 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Virus or hard drive failing...as a guess...

All the best Brett :) 


thank you for ur replies
i have checked it with avast, avira, malwarebytes and kaspersky invidually
No virus detections were made
Id like to ask, could u please elaborate what do u mean by Hard drive failing? is there a way i can check it? are there any solution to this problem?
And do u think i shud try using win 7?
my pc is fast but gets all slow during games
i even run 1080p movies smooth

thanks
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2012 7:26:01 PM

gamer24 said:
thank you for ur replies
i have checked it with avast, avira, malwarebytes and kaspersky invidually
No virus detections were made
Id like to ask, could u please elaborate what do u mean by Hard drive failing? is there a way i can check it? are there any solution to this problem?
And do u think i shud try using win 7?
my pc is fast but gets all slow during games
i even run 1080p movies smooth

thanks



Hi :) 

To check the hard drive...download HIRENS CD , and run the FULL hard drive test in DOS...takes a couple of hours...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 7:41:23 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

To check the hard drive...download HIRENS CD , and run the FULL hard drive test in DOS...takes a couple of hours...

All the best Brett :) 


hi thanks
but uh
there are so many tools in hirens
which one shoul.d i download?
and what wud it show?bad sectors?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2012 10:31:18 PM

gamer24 said:
hi thanks
but uh
there are so many tools in hirens
which one shoul.d i download?
and what wud it show?bad sectors?



Hi :) 

Yes the FULL HARD DRIVE TEST shows bad sectors...which means drop old drive in bin.... etc...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
September 19, 2012 11:15:11 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Yes the FULL HARD DRIVE TEST shows bad sectors...which means drop old drive in bin.... etc...

All the best Brett :) 


Hi again
thank you very much for ur constant support
i checked the hard drive
with
Drive fitness from hitachi as my HDD is a hitachi 721050 500GB
and it came clean, with no problems
i also used seagate sea tools and returned with clean results
i ran memtest, no errors were found..........
So
i cant figure out what to do
Should i install win 7
but as you know very well that, win 7 would require more ram than win xp......but should i give it a try?
And, my processor was bought in 2004, it Is supposed to be weak now after so many years, but i have used many tools like cpu burn ins and other tools, but like If my cpu was weak they are supposed to be showed during these tests, arent they?
I mean to say is there a tool to check if my cpu is weak?
thanks again

m
0
l
September 20, 2012 6:46:33 AM

HI
have you checked if its overheating? Pentium 4 have something where it hits a critical temperature and puts downs the speed to stop it from burning up. have you cleaned your pc out too? graphics might be overheating from dust clogging the gpu fan
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 5:30:49 PM

yabyyoyoboy said:
HI
have you checked if its overheating? Pentium 4 have something where it hits a critical temperature and puts downs the speed to stop it from burning up. have you cleaned your pc out too? graphics might be overheating from dust clogging the gpu fan

thank you for your reply
uhmm yes, my pc overheats
i have been facing this problem
well like a a few weeks ago, it shut down several times due to overheating
i then cleaned it everything, removed all dust, took it to the techinicians
they said there is a Short in my motherboard, and asked me to change it
well i didnt change it and brought it back home
since then the pc hasnt shutdown due to overheating
but uhmm u might me right that althogh it doesnt turn off but overheat and the performance decrease
so uhmm what do you think? there is no other solutinon than changing my motherboard? which also means chagning processor and ram...

thanks again
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 6:32:28 PM

i have
pentium 4 3.00ghz Ht
2 gb ram
nvidia 9600gt 512mb
windows xp sp 3

Question 1
the temperatures while typing this are

Processor
Diode 1 - 111 C
Internal - 60 C
Diode 2 - 59 C
GPU- 66C

I used HWmonitor, are the temperatures high?

Question 2

I have been thinking of upgrading my processor along with mobo and ram

I wanted to upgrade to a Pentium G630 2nd Generation 2.7GHZ with 4gb ram

I want to know, if i will get a major performance enhance compared to my older one as G630 lacks Hyperthreading and is 2.7ghz compared to 3ghz
i also want to keep my 9600gt, will it bottleneck the G630?

thanks
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
September 21, 2012 6:47:44 PM

The G630 is a dual-core Sandy Bridge CPU, it will be 2-3X as fast as your P4 which would be a pretty substantial upgrade.

As for the "bottlenecking" all I have to say is: don't lose sleep over that, something will ALWAYS bottleneck something else and which one bottlenecks what will change from game to game, from resolution to resolution, from scene to scene.

Upgrade whichever component is most urgent now and if you are not happy with something else's performance, upgrade that at the next opportunity.
m
0
l
a c 188 à CPUs
September 21, 2012 7:04:39 PM

Going from an Intel® Pentium® 4 to an Intel Pentium G630 will require not only a new processor but also a new motherboard and RAM. The Intel Pentium G630 would be shockingly faster than the Intel Pentium 4 processor.

Hyper-threading can help in some multi-tasking or multi-threading but most people only report around 10% boost. A full dual core processor with much newer micro-architecture would smoke an older single core processor with hyper-threading.
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
September 21, 2012 7:48:12 PM

Quote:
Hyper-threading can help in some multi-tasking or multi-threading but most people only report around 10% boost.

When I was using my P4 HT I was getting about 30% better performance when multi-tasking with HT turned on. Nowhere near as good as dual-core but any extra is always nice to have.
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 4:30:37 AM

gamer24 said:
thank you for your reply
uhmm yes, my pc overheats
i have been facing this problem
well like a a few weeks ago, it shut down several times due to overheating
i then cleaned it everything, removed all dust, took it to the techinicians
they said there is a Short in my motherboard, and asked me to change it
well i didnt change it and brought it back home
since then the pc hasnt shutdown due to overheating
but uhmm u might me right that althogh it doesnt turn off but overheat and the performance decrease
so uhmm what do you think? there is no other solutinon than changing my motherboard? which also means chagning processor and ram...

thanks again


HI
the short my be the problem in this case. The short could of been a voltage regulator and now is being shorted internally making it send more voltage into the cpu when its not needed making the cpu overheat without knowing. When This happens the cpu tries to slow its self down but they voltage is still too high. Do you have a spare mobo you can borrow off someone?
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 9:16:26 AM

Thanks everybody
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 9:16:59 AM

i checked but i cudnt find anybody to use the mobo on. cuz everybody i know is using an i3 or i5
they dont want to risk putting my old components lol
but thanks
very very much
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 10:15:48 AM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Overheating and new build
    m
    0
    l
    !