Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 Bottleneck

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2012 6:54:55 PM

I want to buy the GTX 680 and my CPU is pretty cheap I suppose but I want to know what is the lowest CPU i should use without bottlenecking that card? Im using an ATHLON X3 @ 3.4ghz and I will buy a better CPU in the future like maybe christmas, I might get Ivy Bridge and a new Mobo ontop of that but I want the 680 because it beats the hell out of cards which are not too much cheaper and I want it for future proof too.

Thanks

More about : gtx 680 bottleneck

March 24, 2012 8:25:12 PM

you might also list your complete specs.. to give good build advice we need to know what size card you have what size/brand your Power supply is...etc
March 25, 2012 4:03:29 AM

That sir will be a massive bottleneck. My 1055T bottlenecks a 5850 CF. A 1055T bottlenecks a 7970 as well.

Btw to put the bottleneck to perspective, Id guess you'd avg 20-35 frames per game, depending on set clock speed. If you got a V10 engine (GPU) and not putting fuel in it (CPU to GPU), its still not gonna go very fast.
a c 263 U Graphics card
a c 317 à CPUs
March 25, 2012 4:16:52 AM

Bottleneck implies that somehow upgrading to a GTX680 will somehow give you lower FPS; that won't happen. The only question is how much better you will do.

To give you some insight,
run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Ivy bridge is due April 29.
Considering the supply run on GTX680, that may be when you can find a GTX680 too.
!