Planning First Build

My computer died a couple of days ago and I need a new one fairly soon. As stated, this will be my first build.

This is not going to be a gaming system. I do not need a high end graphics card. I will also be running Linux, and it will be very unlikely that I will ever install Windows. Since Intel's support for open source drivers has a good reputation, I am under the impression that the Intel 4000 hd graphics should suit my needs very well. I haven't settled on a monitor yet, but I'll probably go with 1920x1080, and the most graphics intensive things I would do would be full screen video or fancy desktop effects. I'll probably go with a monitor that is around 23 inches.

There will be some serious number crunching, some of it in parallel. There will also be a lot of compiling. It's why I picked a Core i7 over a Core i5.

I tend to leave my computers running 24/7 unless I am going out of town. This, plus having had PSUs fail on me in the past leads me to believe that I want a high quality PSU that is bigger than I really need to simply run the computer. Something reliable and efficient is worth it to me.

The mobo: This is where I am most out of my element. It doesn't need to have anything special, but if I want to add another HD and/or another optical drive later, I want that option. Also, it is subject to the same things as the PSU. I want something reliable that can also handle a fair amount of memory. Also, I want the audio chipset to play nice with Linux, so that is going to likely mean Realtec. If it has features that would lend themselves to gaming, fine, but I really don't want to pay extra for them.

I am not currently planning on OCing, but you know how that kind of thing goes. I may change my mind later. I figure if I do, I'll go for the aftermarket CPU fan then, unless there is a good reason to do otherwise. I don't mind taking things apart, especially when I can put them on a table right in front of me. Having something on the table beats laying on your back all day because you refuse to take your jeep to a mechanic ;)

Here is what I've selected thus far:

Case - Roswill Ranger Mid ATX Tower Any problems with this case? (Other than it being listed as a "gamer" case when I doubt anything more cutting edge than MUPEN64 or SNES9X will be used for games on the computer.)
Motherboard - ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Again, I'm out of my element on this, but its price is acceptable. Any suggestions that would meet my needs would be most welcome.
PSU - SeaSonic X Seriex X650 Gold
CPU - Core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Memory - GSkill Ripjaws Series, 16GB - 4x4GB
Wireless Adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN781ND PCI Express - It is reported that this one plays well with Linux.

I was planning on going with a 120GB SSD for the boot drive and a 500GB HDD for a secondary data storage drive. I was also going to throw the drive from my old computer in there. I'm also planning on putting an optical drive in there, just a plain DVD burner. I'm going to stay away from blu ray until the support for it gets better on Linux.

And the drives leads to a total newb question: Do SSDs and HDDs typically come with the SATA cables, or is that something that I need to purchase separately? If so, how long would you recommend the cables be? Any other cables I should look at purchasing separately? I would rather know what cables *don't* come with the components before I have the boxes with the components in front of me.

Then, the typical questions: Are these all compatible, and are there any no-goes due to quality and/or use concerns?
4 answers Last reply
More about planning build
  1. No hd's do not come with cables unless you buy the retail box version, even then I'm not sure if they do.

Your motherboard comes with 2 sata cables for the hdd's. If you have more you'll need to purchase sata cables.

You need a K series cpu to overclock if you decide in the future. You cannot overclock a non K cpu. You will need an aftermarket cooler to overclock, I recommend coolermaster hyper 212 EVO.

The rest of the components look really good, although the power supply is major overkill if your not using a powerful gpu. A quality 380w psu like mine would be MORE than enough.
  2. Thanks!

Really, with OCing though, if purchasing a non K CPU locks me out, I'm not going to whine too much. The Core i7 will already be a HUGE step up from what I was running before. It'll be like a breath of fresh air. Upgrading in the future will be much easier if I build the thing myself.
  3. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  4. The K version is only a few dollars more and can give you a huge increase in a few years when you actually need it, instead of having to upgrade again.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product