Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 680 slower than HD5970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 7:21:23 PM

I own an HD 5970 and was thinking about upgrading. However according to this website http://www.hwcompare.com/12364/geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeo... the 680 is way slower than a 5970. Surely this can't be right. Obviously the 5970 has two GPU's but even so i've had this for nearly 3 years now but maybe i'll keep hold of it a while longer.

More about : gtx 680 slower hd5970

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 7:25:12 PM

Remember, hwcompare is a theoretical specs site, real world performance will vary.

The 5970 is a nice card, I would keep it and see if something better than the 680 releases as the 5970 will do everything you need it to do.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 7:26:33 PM

gary1 said:
Remember, hwcompare is a theoretical specs site, real world performance will vary.

The 5970 is a nice card, I would keep it and see if something better than the 680 releases as the 5970 will do everything you need it to do.

Yep I think you're right. Maybe wait for the 690 or so. Thanks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 7:30:13 PM

Kkkk1 said:
I own an HD 5970 and was thinking about upgrading. However according to this website http://www.hwcompare.com/12364/geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeo... the 680 is way slower than a 5970. Surely this can't be right. Obviously the 5970 has two GPU's but even so i've had this for nearly 3 years now but maybe i'll keep hold of it a while longer.


That website's compare of cards is a terrible way to look at real world performance. The 680 (or 7970 as well) are usually on par or a little slower than the 590 and 6990 in games. The 5970 of course runs slower than the 6990 which should give you an idea of where the 680 lands.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/165
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508

It's hard to compare the two since there are no side by side charts but if you look at crysis on the two links, the 7970 is just a few frames behind the 5970. The 680 is a little faster so I'm guessing it's on par with the 5970. If you've had CF related issues or stuttering i'd say upgrade if it's an issue. otherwise the performance difference isn't large enough, wait for 690 or 7990? :)  Of course your mileage may vary depending on the benchmark :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 7:44:38 PM

omega21xx said:
That website's compare of cards is a terrible way to look at real world performance. The 680 (or 7970 as well) are usually on par or a little slower than the 590 and 6990 in games. The 5970 of course runs slower than the 6990 which should give you an idea of where the 680 lands.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/165
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508

It's hard to compare the two since there are no side by side charts but if you look at crysis on the two links, the 7970 is just a few frames behind the 5970. The 680 is a little faster so I'm guessing it's on par with the 5970. If you've had CF related issues or stuttering i'd say upgrade if it's an issue. otherwise the performance difference isn't large enough, wait for 690 or 7990? :)  Of course your mileage may vary depending on the benchmark :) 

Excellent analysis I think i'll wait for 690.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 7:52:23 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Excellent analysis I think i'll wait for 690.


Glad to be of help! :) 
March 24, 2012 8:23:47 PM

Kkkk1 said:
I own an HD 5970 and was thinking about upgrading. However according to this website http://www.hwcompare.com/12364/geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeo... the 680 is way slower than a 5970. Surely this can't be right. Obviously the 5970 has two GPU's but even so i've had this for nearly 3 years now but maybe i'll keep hold of it a while longer.


I'd buy the GTX 680.

It's better than the 5970. In fact, two GTX 470/480s compared to the 5970 (essentially two 5870s on one PCB).

One GTX 680 whips SLI GTX 480's a**.

Just my opinion

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 8:39:16 PM

graemevermeulen said:
I'd buy the GTX 680.

It's better than the 5970. In fact, two GTX 470/480s compared to the 5970 (essentially two 5870s on one PCB).

One GTX 680 whips SLI GTX 480's a**.

Just my opinion


If i remember correctly, 480SLI performs better than a 590, I wouldn't say 480 SLI gets "whipped" but yeah a 680 is a little better. It's not really an upgrade worthy choice however.
March 24, 2012 8:43:41 PM

omega21xx said:
If i remember correctly, 480SLI performs better than a 590, I wouldn't say 480 SLI gets "whipped" but yeah a 680 is a little better. It's not really an upgrade worthy choice however.


Sorry man I just love my onomatopoeia words :na: 

Well, it's definitely better. And the 5970 is very long in the tooth now, like Ezio in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

I think both are good ideas, waiting or upgrading. I mean it's not like he's got a bad graphics card at all, but the 680 would make a very noticeable difference.


a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 8:56:10 PM

graemevermeulen said:
Sorry man I just love my onomatopoeia words :na: 

Well, it's definitely better. And the 5970 is very long in the tooth now, like Ezio in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

I think both are good ideas, waiting or upgrading. I mean it's not like he's got a bad graphics card at all, but the 680 would make a very noticeable difference.


Depends, I think you could tell the difference if you are playing at above 1080p settings, otherwise I think the difference is negligible. Like I said though, that also depends on if they have had any CF related issues. If they don't feel they have, then it's really not worth a $500 upgrade for a 10-20% increase in frame rates (if that)
But hey, if you have the money more power to ya :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 9:24:34 PM

omega21xx said:
Depends, I think you could tell the difference if you are playing at above 1080p settings, otherwise I think the difference is negligible. Like I said though, that also depends on if they have had any CF related issues. If they don't feel they have, then it's really not worth a $500 upgrade for a 10-20% increase in frame rates (if that)
But hey, if you have the money more power to ya :) 

Yeah i've not experienced any crossfire issues and i've loved my 5970. I think I may give it 12 months then upgrade once DX11 games start really moving. I've never been that impressed with the Tessellation performance on the 5970 although I do get around 45fps avg on Heaven. Thanks for all opinions though. :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 9:36:50 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Yeah i've not experienced any crossfire issues and i've loved my 5970. I think I may give it 12 months then upgrade once DX11 games start really moving. I've never been that impressed with the Tessellation performance on the 5970 although I do get around 45fps avg on Heaven. Thanks for all opinions though. :) 


Yeah, so far tessellation still has a way to go before it becomes a decent game enhancement anyway. I can't think of a single game that makes me think "wow! I can't imagine playing without tessellation!"
March 24, 2012 9:37:20 PM

Dont waste your money,I just went from 5870xfire to 6990,ok it is better but nothing startling apart from the odd game and at 1080p it doesnt make much difference so I dont think the gtx680 will be too significant an improvement.Too appreciate newer gpus you need to be using a higher resolution i think
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 9:45:29 PM

shadychopper said:
Dont waste your money,I just went from 5870xfire to 6990,ok it is better but nothing startling apart from the odd game and at 1080p it doesnt make much difference so I dont think the gtx680 will be too significant an improvement.Too appreciate newer gpus you need to be using a higher resolution i think


I agree, most games, with the exception of metro 2033, BF3, Crysis, can be maxed on a single 6870 or 6950. A 5970 will do good for another 12 months or so until new tech starts making the changes you can't refuse ^_^
May 24, 2012 2:51:45 AM

Not worth 500.00 to upgrade.
June 18, 2012 5:58:43 PM

Buy a second 5970 from ebay. Cheap and fast. It will still last for a long time.
June 18, 2012 5:59:10 PM

Buy a second 5970 from ebay. Cheap and fast. It will still last for a long time.
!