C2d good for gaming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

saad123abc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
hi i have a c2d e6300 overclocked to 3ghz with a coolermaster tx3 cooler on it. i was wondwering if it will bottleneck a 660 or a 7770 ghz edition because i dont want to buy a new cpu but i want to upgrade my gpu. and if it will i have the option to buy a q6600 and probably overclock that to 3 ghz aswell so any sugestions

Solution
What kind of performance are you expecting? Yea the C2D will keep up with a 7770 video card, but, no i wouldn't pair it with anything too much more powerful than that It will handle games just fine at lower resolutions and detail settings.. But if you're expecting to play BF3 fully maxed out @ 1080p, its not happening with that setup.

And no, unless you can get a core2quad for something like $50 or less, I wouldn't invest any more money into that system.
What kind of performance are you expecting? Yea the C2D will keep up with a 7770 video card, but, no i wouldn't pair it with anything too much more powerful than that It will handle games just fine at lower resolutions and detail settings.. But if you're expecting to play BF3 fully maxed out @ 1080p, its not happening with that setup.

And no, unless you can get a core2quad for something like $50 or less, I wouldn't invest any more money into that system.

Solution

saad123abc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

i wanto play games at 1280x960 at max-high mostly racing games

saad123abc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

i mostly play nfs world and nfs shift 2 but sometime i like to play battle field play4freearound the same resolution cuz i have a 21" screen

Yea.. don't count on that setup handling BF3 in multiplayer too well at high, ultra settings. You're going to want a more modern system for that to really be able to comfortably play big MP maps.. Single player is a lot more forgiving though, although the SP BF3 quite frankly sucks compared to any COD game.

I don't know if BF play4free is going to have diminished system requirements or not.. Is it out yet?

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

Agreed, you need a decent quadcore system to cope with BF3 MP, specially on 64 player maps.

On a side note - BF3 has a single player mode? ;)

Well, Battlefield 3 I knew they were coming out with a free to play version, looks like its up and running, and prolly not as much as a system killer, I might give it a shot and see what kind of FRAPS results I get with it. I'm swapping my 550 TI out here in a couple weeks for a more powerful card, my 550 TI AMP edition is around the 7770's performance, so I'll see what kind of results I get..

Yea, BF3 has a single player mode, its a blatant COD ripoff with uninteresting characters, a dull plot and just plain bad NPC scripting. The characters knock you out of the way into the line of fire, and you have to stand at the exact spot it tells you to for the script to advance (not like COD where you can be in a general area), its very specific. Then the NPCs if they tell you its "safe" to move from your cover position.. it never is lol. I got about an hour into it and said screw this, I want Soap McTavish back.

Depends on what games you're playing and at what settings.

Again, read everything the thread has covered, hes talking about BF3 free to play version, its a substantially scaled down version of the game.. A quad is not required for it I'd imagine.

I've got a Core2Duo in a Dell XPS laptop, of course its several generations out of date, but its still pretty snappy for a nearly 5 year old laptop. No its not gonna do hardcore gaming, but it'll run any COD game just fine at respectable settings, which is what I'm guessing looking at the system requirements for the BF free to play is probably going to be a fairly decent measure.

I'm trying to install the Battlefield Play4Free to see how well it handles, the installation failed, some error message saying some file or another didn't download properly or something. I'm trying it again.

If I can get it to run I'll disable 2 cores and downclock and see if it takes a heavy performance hit.

saad123abc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

thanks bro for helping mt out here is my email if u want to tell me how its preformance is: saad123abc@hotmail.com

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Battlefield Play4Free uses the BF2/2142 engine, with some elements of Bad Company 1/2 thrown in(gameplay wise not engine wise). It's like a free to play BF2.

It runs like BF2/2142. I was in the open beta. A C2D would run that without issue. As a matter of fact I ran it with my old Xeon 3110 which is an E8400 with Xeon branding, and a GTX 260, and it played perfectly.

Yea.. I just got done playing it for about a half hour, it plays just fine. I was getting about 90-100FPS at the high setting @ 1280x1024 resolution. Its definitely not anywhere near as sexy as BF3, I can't imagine you'd have any trouble playing it with an overclocked C2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS