Computer won't turn on

phenom588

Honorable
May 23, 2012
So a few days ago my computer decided to turn off and hasn't turned back on. The motherboard's little green light is on, and whenever i press the power button all of the fans start to turn but immediately stop. I know it isn't an overheating problem because i left it unplugged for a day and it still didn't work. I've tried reseating everything, which didn't help. I have also tested the. Power supply with a multimeter, but it is putting out the right amount of power. I figure at this point it's either the mobo or cpu, but i would like to be absolutely sure before I make a purchase.

Here are my hardware specs
Psu coolmax cu 700b
Cpu amd athlon 64 x2
Mobo asus m2n sli deluxe
2x corsair xms2 (ddr2) ram
Gpu geforce 8800 gts (320mb if im not mistaken)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Ps. Sorry for any typos, i have to do this from my phone due to the deadness of my desktop.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
From the symptoms you specify and based on my experience, it sounds like your CPU has bit the dust. In my experience whenever a mobo dies the fans do not even come on as no power can get to them through the mother board.

Athlon 64 x2's may be hard to come by except on ebay, if your mobo can handle it I would look to replace with a Phenom II x4.

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012
unplug all your drives, unplug all your fans, remove the ram, remove all your pci boards (leave graphics if you dont have onboard). The computer should now boot up into the bios screen if not you've elminated everything except the pwr supply, mb and CPU. Unless its just fried the CPU is probably good as they will usually get hot and die but a cold boot isnt enough time to get that hot. Putting a volt meter on a PSU is about the same as a car battery, it'll read correctly until you load it, so it isn't totally eliminated from being bad but if your still not booting with everything off the PSU then the odds are its the MB or PSU.

On a last note my last MB had a setting that if the CPU fan wasn't working it would automatically shut off the PSU, make sure it spins when turned on.

phenom588

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Seems i was completely wrong, i turned it on without the gpu and it turned on. But it also started beeping, 1 long beep about 2 and a half seconds long and 2 quick ones afterwards.

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information source: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

So those beeps were normal, try and confirm that it booted correctly maybe onboard video or a cheap video card, it also could be that your power supply can't handle that load but it seems that perhaps its your GPU. Try using an air can and blow out the PCI slot for the video card and reseeding it. If it won't boot up you'll know something seems wrong with either the video card or its loading down a weakened power supply.