Powercolor HD6870 drivers won't install correctly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2012 9:03:50 PM

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 mobo
8GB GSkill DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz CPU
Powercolor Radeon HD6870 (I actually have 2 because I eventually want to Crossfire them, but I'm working on getting this one going at the moment)
Antec High Current Gamer 750W PSU
2TB Whitebox Samsung HDD

I'm stumped by this one. I put my HD6870 in, put the driver CD in, installed the drivers - the installer installs some things (an SDK, HydraVision etc) but doesn't install the Catalyst Control Center, then just exits to the desktop without actually installing the drivers. I tried uninstalling the drivers, wiping all traces off using Driver Sweeper and CCleaner (rebooting in between) and reinstalling, but every time it does the same thing. I also tried the official drivers from the AMD website, same problem. I had this issue before (I have a new mobo and HDD, so fresh install) and the problem was that I wasn't plugging in both 6 pin PCI-E power connectors to the card, so the mobo wasn't seeing it. However, I've got both cables plugged in this time (coming from my Antec HCG 750W, so under capacity power is not the issue) and I've tried both PCI-E lanes on my Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 but the same thing happens every time. Someone please help!
Thanks guys!
March 24, 2012 9:36:26 PM

Yes, I had the exact same problem with my HD4870 maybe ~18 months ago.
Sad to hear things are still not good...
I bought a GeForce GTX460 1GB and have not looked back.
Things are so much better in nVidia-land.
You don't even have to reboot after installing a new driver package!
But I always do anyway,
Regards
April 1, 2012 4:51:12 PM

I have been doing some research on powercolors 6870x2 card and I know a lot of people have had random issues with this card so I am sorry for the inconvenience. I would try to maybe install some older drivers from their website. Also if the drivers aren't installing correctly there should be a warning/error message at the end of the installation that would indicate that problems occurred during the installation. You should get more information from that. I hope you get your cards working cause i'm looking into purchasing one for myself!
April 1, 2012 7:47:07 PM

I tried the older drivers and nothing changed. The problem turned out to be that I had volted both cards by trying to power them from a 6-pin peripheral output on my old PSU (they look the same as PCI-E aside from the colour!) so I have now purchased two HIS IceQ Radeon HD6950s and Crossfire'd them and they work beautifully!
So if anyone else has been having this problem with any card, it is worth thinking back and assessing the possibility that you may have just fried them!
!