Jade Empire - Better Late Than Never

I realize this game came out back in April but I am finally getting
around to playing it and I have to say it's easily one of the best
games I've played this year so far (11 hrs into it).

It seems to have taken the KOTOR engine and improved upon it with a
true real time combat system. Not only that, the number of
fighting/battle styles is numerous so you're bound to find one to your
liking.

It's a graphical upgrade from KOTOR as I haven't experienced any
slowdown and the character animation is much smoother. The art
direction is also a welcome departure from the old KOTOR look.

The voice acting is again dead-on and amount of conversations is
staggering. The story has been interesting so far, altho it's at times
clichéd.

In summary, a brilliant games that's shaping up to be GOTY material.

It's an awesome game but slightly too short, especially if you rush
through it. I finished all quests and searched all areas and it took me
about 25 hours I think. However, you might want to play it again,
unlike KOTOR, because the fighting is actually fun. Of course you'll
already know the story, which will kind of lessen the experience.

Overall a great game to have. They should make something similar with a
littler deeper character development and items. I know the idea was to
make a fast paced action RPG, but the RPG elements are fairly slim. The
game is also adjusted too much to western standards as far as dialogue,
etc goes. I though it would be a bit more mythical.

Anyway, my two cents.

J. Allard wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
> > I realize this game came out back in April but I am finally getting
> > around to playing it and I have to say it's easily one of the best
> > games I've played this year so far (11 hrs into it).
>
> There are other games out there besides Pac Man.
> If you honestly think that buggy, load time ridden pile of garbage is an
> RPG you need to pick up Sudeki. It's just as shitty.

Your fear of the brilliance that is Jade Empire is duly noted.

"cjw" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124725378.737227.58410
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> However, you might want to play it again,
> unlike KOTOR, because the fighting is actually fun. Of course you'll
> already know the story, which will kind of lessen the experience.

The way some of the quests turn out depends on whether you follow the way
of the Open Palm or the Cosed Fist. That will help to keep some parts of
the game fresh the second time through. Also, the romance plots are
different depending on the gender of your character.

My first time playing, I didn't talk to my Followers enough, and missed
out on some interesting events.

Steve W.

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in

> I realize this game came out back in April but I am finally getting
> around to playing it and I have to say it's easily one of the best
> games I've played this year so far (11 hrs into it).
>
> It seems to have taken the KOTOR engine and improved upon it with a
> true real time combat system. Not only that, the number of
> fighting/battle styles is numerous so you're bound to find one to your
> liking.
>
> It's a graphical upgrade from KOTOR as I haven't experienced any
> slowdown and the character animation is much smoother. The art
> direction is also a welcome departure from the old KOTOR look.
>
> The voice acting is again dead-on and amount of conversations is
> staggering. The story has been interesting so far, altho it's at times
> clichéd.
>
> In summary, a brilliant games that's shaping up to be GOTY material.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I passed on this when it first came out
because I really started to grow tired of KOTOR about 1/2 way through. I
picked up Jade Empire after seeing it at a friends place, and I'm glad I
did. I really, really like the combat in it, and I'm finding the story to
be pretty good. Best part is I'm glad I waited because I picked it up for
cheap used. Overall one of the better games that I've played recently.

Chris

Robert P Holley wrote:
> J. Allard wrote:
>
>>Robert P Holley wrote:
>>
>>>I realize this game came out back in April but I am finally getting
>>>around to playing it and I have to say it's easily one of the best
>>>games I've played this year so far (11 hrs into it).
>>
>>There are other games out there besides Pac Man.
>>If you honestly think that buggy, load time ridden pile of garbage is an
>>RPG you need to pick up Sudeki. It's just as shitty.
>

> Your fear of the brilliance that is Jade Empire is duly noted.

Yeah like that game could ever touch a Final Fantasy.

J. Allard wrote:
> > Your fear of the brilliance that is Jade Empire is duly noted.
> >

> Yeah like that game could ever touch a Final Fantasy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!