Cant connect to internet after virus infection.

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello, DHCP Client Service Won't Start, I get Error 106, running windows 7 on my desktop,but can connect wireless to same router. help

In addition to the link provided by deskjet;
winkey, msconfig, services and re-enable some of the network related services and see if that does the trick. Try running a good registry cleaner like CCleaner, as well as a good malware remover like malwarebytes.

If those dont work then it is time to load a backup, or time to reformat and start all over again :) Fun thing about a good virus is that you don't know if it is really gone until you reformat anyways, so that would be my suggestion.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
^Yep. When it comes to virus infections, the best thing to do is just reinstall Windows and put your stuff back on it.

I love it when this happens because a) if you legally purchased everything you have, there shouldn't be any problems with just copying your saved data and reinstalling it, and b) you likely got this virus by being somewhere you shouldn't have been anyway. You don't get viruses by browsing Tomshardware and buying things off of eBay. I have no pity for virus victims until they prove me wrong.

1s your clean insert your o.s. disk and go to run
type sfc/scannow this will repair any system files that are broken...
then reinstall your Ethernet drivers.

as for the guy above... ignore him. viruses can be gotten anywhere, even from toms if the site got hacked... karma is a mean bitch so 1 day he will be the 1 getting laughed at... you can be a victim of a worm, an email, a work m8 who doesnt keep his system clean...

reinstalling windows is for the people that dont know how to clean a pc. most 99% of viruses are pretty harmless in reality. most will dump a file here and there to try and fill up your hdd. while others will infect you to try and get you to buy a selected av solution that is in fact a virus in itself...(antivirus 2012) yes there a pain in the ass but they dont do much in the way of damage... so cleaning is the best option.

get malware bytes and avira antivir and the free version of emsisoft antimalware... run all of them and see what you find...

when your done get a decent av. something like kaspersky,nod32,avira,bitdefender all will work well enough in most cases but its better to have a layered approach to malware...
personally i sue the payed version of malwarebytes, because of its active scanner and a free version of avira, as the payed 1 irratated me with its constant updating...(also i wasnt a fan of its firewall).

just remember a good av is only as good as the user using it... becarefull what you download and certainly dont pirate antivirus software...

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thank you , I was able to fix my pc problems with combofix, now my only problem is and I'm still working on it , my virus protection keeps being turned off , so I think there is still a virus booger in there, cause that's how it all started, firewall being turned off then eventually no internet. But at least I can connect . Thanks again

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks , yeah I know. the most annoying thing was I had malwarebytes and nod32, and it didn't stop the attack, malwarebytes did record it and so did nod32 but it still got infected, thanks for the help.

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Ok ,have run combofix and can get back on internet now, but my network firewall keeps flashing for a split second to red, then back to normal, so how do I reformat my hard drive to make sure it's clean? have back up, have never done that before running windows 7. already had ccleaner and malwarebytes and nod32 when infected. Thanks

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

could not run sfc/scan not even in admin mode, I get "Windows Protection could not perform the requested operation".

ccjet_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

thanks , but I had Microsoft security essentials running along with malwarebytes. my internet is back up , but now i can't download acrobat reader and all my pdf files come unreadable. I wanted to reformat my hard drive have all backed up but not to sure of myself or how to start to reformat my HDDrunning window 7

Jul 20, 2012
in response this this comment below. your a donkey. get your head out of the sand. people get infected all sorts of ways and not just from sites you should not be at. I seen hundreds of computers get infected from usb drives and just being connected to the same network an infected computer is on. Its called a worm and worms can infect computers even with a firewall and antivirius installed so wake up and smell the coffee. Just because you legal purchased everything does not make it any less of a pain to install it again than if it was not legally obtained. I can not believe some of the noobs that actually post things like they know what they are talking about. If you don't believe me then give me your IP and I will prove it to you.

Jul 20, 2012

in response this comment above. your a donkey. get your head out of the sand. people get infected all sorts of ways and not just from sites you should not be at. I seen hundreds of computers get infected from usb drives and just
being connected to the same network an infected computer is on. Its called a worm and worms can infect computers even with a firewall and antivirius installed so wake up and smell the coffee. Just because you legal purchased everything does not make it any less of a pain to install it again than if it was not legally obtained. I can not believe some of the noobs that actually post things like they know what they are talking about.