Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Is my CPU dead? Pictures!

Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2012 10:07:29 PM

I was cleaning my desktop unit..and forgot to unplug before doing so. I hit something where fan is in PCU ,,sparks and then dead computer,,,what did I do..? I am SO carerful,,,never ever NOT unplugged PC before cleaning inside unit...grateul I wasn't shocked..HELP is my computer fixable?

a c 109 à CPUs
September 17, 2012 12:17:48 AM

Did you turn your PC off while cleaning? If you were cleaning with something metal, you may have shorted something.

But yes, Ubrales is right, CPU's don't fail that easily, follow his link.
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 10:15:18 AM

No after years of cleaning my PC,,I forgot to unplug. I was using something mental,,a screw driver to remove side panel..slipped and went into CPU vent,,sparked and that was it for the PC. I am sure I shorted something. Very angry with myself,,,can't afford to get this looked at by a professional.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2012 10:23:33 AM

Do you mean PSU not CPU?

or are you simply calling the entire tower the CPU?

FYI - CPU is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit .... something tells me when you were removing the side panel you didnt stab this with your screwy
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
September 17, 2012 12:20:09 PM

In some Asian countries the computer is referred to as the 'CPU' - this might be the reason for the confusion.

If sparking occurred while poking with the screwdriver, then that component is certainly shorted out. Replace that component whatever that is, and see whether the computer works.

If the computer is an old model or technologically obsolete, consider purchasing a new one.
m
l
!