Gaming Rig (eventually)

orrett3

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hi everyone, this is my first post here so build here so bare with me.

Approximate Purchase Date: by September. (hopefully prices will fall a little *College student budget*)

Budget Range: From the looks of it... $1,500 seems about right, although anything i could do to minimize price would be nice

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Base off of parts in newegg wishlist, pasted below.

Overclocking: Yes (eventually)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (eventually)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (If all goes well)

Additional Comments: This isn't my first build, but it is my first all gaming rig and i know there are people more experienced than me who i can definitely get advice from. Also, which MB should i get from the two listed there? they both have similar features...Recomend a different one if you have to.

----------------------------------->Build Here<-------------------------------------

That's like way far off to be starting a thread on a build. A week or even less before you plan on buying is the best bet seeing how tech and prices change so often. The gtx 660 is due out before then and that could make it an entire new ball game not to mention the prices of SSD's keep going down every month.

Here's a build that's in that price range but one of the OP's plans on using his build for photo editing hence the 16GB of RAM in that build. You can mix and match but with your budget the GTX 670 would be the only way to go imo. Anyways look at my post on this two links down below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/347647-31-last-minute-review-purchase

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/347658-31-need-system-1500

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Its really hard to pick components 3 months before purchasing. What you pick may not be available or there may be far better options by then.
Also prices fluctuate, and what is a good deal now might not be in the future, or what is too expensive now might come down in price.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I agree with Why_Me. Now is really early to start a September build.

Aside from that, i7 and 16 GB are way more than necessary for a gaming build. Unless you're major involves major video rendering and photo editing, you won't need more than an i5 and 8 GB. Some people also tend to complain about how slow "green" hard drives can be. For a gaming system, a Western Digital Black or a Seagate Barracuda may be better.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Current processors support up to 1600 mhz natively, so all higher clock memory will set at that as default. It is possible to overclock memory sticks to 2800 mhz through BIOS if the motherboard and RAM support it, but you will need a memory cooler of some sort. RAM generally isn't a bottleneck so fewer people overclock it.

Nobody used quad SLI. I mean there might be a few out there but it's not something recommended for the fact the cost don't even come close to outweighing the gains which are minimal at best.

If you can't do it with two card something's wrong. Three cards at the most if your running several monitors.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
a lot of Nvidia cards do not support 4-way sli(unless it is the *90 series)
like the 670 can only go up to 3-way SLI

unless you are planning on getting 2x690 you will not have a 4-way

for most games all you will need is 1x670 even less like a 7850 will do for current games