Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is the INTEL performance/price equivalent of an AMD x4 965?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 16, 2012 11:45:43 PM

Hey guys I was going to purchase an 965 x4 Amd Phenom II.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SRQ214/ref=ox_sc_a...

In order to be able to use it though, I would need to purchase a new Mobo. I figure now that I also need to purchase a Mobo, it would be best to get an Intel Socket Motherboard as Intel is apparently the better company for CPU's atm.

My question is, what would be the intel equivelant of the AMD 965 CPU that way I can instead shop for an Intel Motherboard and grab myself an Intel proccesor as opposed to buying a new motherboard with AM3 Socket.

TL"DR- Want to upgrade to intel since i need new motherboard anyway, What is the intel equivelant price/performance of the AMD Phenom II 965?
September 16, 2012 11:50:23 PM

About an Intel Pentium G8xx series, which are like i3's without hyper-threading. About which to choose, it really depends on if you need 4 cores and if you need high end features on your new mobo if you plan to go with the Phenom. BTW, check NCIX, they have the Phenom II X4 965 for only $90.
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 11:51:56 PM

Well i sure looking for an 4 core Intel. The price could be a little higher, I just dont want to be downgrading by getting an Intel instead of the AMD Phenom
m
0
l
Related resources
September 16, 2012 11:57:16 PM

Crucial said:
Well i sure looking for an 4 core Intel. The price could be a little higher, I just dont want to be downgrading by getting an Intel instead of the AMD Phenom
If you can put down the money for an i5, definitely go for it :)  go on pcpartpicker.com for the best deals :)  and intel DOWNGRADING? nope.
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 11:58:28 PM

i5-2500k for $160 at microcenter.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 12:03:18 AM

I think after all i will go with the AMD, the price of the intel and a motherboard would be about DOUBLE but i dont believe my performance would Double... That being said, does anybody know of a good MOBO to purchase for an AMD Phenom II x4 965? I was looking at this one for pretty cheap,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WUUFBW/ref=ox_sc_a...

Only 58$ plus the 100$ for the CPU, is still cheaper than an i5 :-p

m
0
l
September 17, 2012 12:16:19 AM

Crucial said:
I think after all i will go with the AMD, the price of the intel and a motherboard would be about DOUBLE but i dont believe my performance would Double... That being said, does anybody know of a good MOBO to purchase for an AMD Phenom II x4 965? I was looking at this one for pretty cheap,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WUUFBW/ref=ox_sc_a...

Only 58$ plus the 100$ for the CPU, is still cheaper than an i5 :-p
LOL i was gonna say the same one!!
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 12:27:57 AM

Will that mobo support the AMD 965? I couldnt find if the mobo supported up to 125w, also would it support my DDR2 ram? I have 4gb 2 sticks worth but i think they are DDr2, and not 3
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 12:50:06 AM

Crucial said:
Will that mobo support the AMD 965? I couldnt find if the mobo supported up to 125w, also would it support my DDR2 ram? I have 4gb 2 sticks worth but i think they are DDr2, and not 3
i would trash the ddr2 ram :( 
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 12:52:36 AM

ChaseCTech said:
i would trash the ddr2 ram :( 




I plan on it, but for the moment being will it run?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 137 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 12:58:30 AM

Crucial said:
I plan on it, but for the moment being will it run?


No. Physically incompatible with DDR3 slots. It'll work with this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but, trust me, you do not want to handicap yourself like that.

Just get 4/8GB of DDR3 RAM and go with that Asus board. DDR3 is dirt cheap anyway.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 1:04:46 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
No. Physically incompatible with DDR3 slots. It'll work with this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but, trust me, you do not want to handicap yourself like that.

Just get 4/8GB of DDR3 RAM and go with that Asus board. DDR3 is dirt cheap anyway.


Would you be so kind to point me in the way of the best/cheap DDR3 Ram? I hear Corsair has good ram.


However, i was considering buying this RAM

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Modules-KHX16...
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2012 1:13:34 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
DDR3 is dirt cheap anyway.

You can say that again.

When I looked at 16GB kits a month or so ago, they were around $110 which I thought was as low as they were gonna go for the foreseeable future but now they're down to ~$80.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 1:14:59 AM




Going for the 8GB, Might Aswell :-) Thanks for the links truly appreciate it.

As the last thing I would need to ask now that I have my parts figured out, Should i worry about my HardDrive/Cd drive not being compatible?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 137 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 1:17:25 AM

Crucial said:
Going for the 8GB, Might Aswell :-) Thanks for the links truly appreciate it.

As the last thing I would need to ask now that I have my parts figured out, Should i worry about my HardDrive/Cd drive not being compatible?


If they're SATA drives, you're fine, but if they're IDE/PATA drives they won't work.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 1:23:19 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
If they're SATA drives, you're fine, but if they're IDE/PATA drives they won't work.


Well looks like I am good to go then, thanks alot for your help guys. In the couple of days I have been on this site, i found it to be very informative and helpful, i really learned how much i didnt know. Thanks fellas!
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 137 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 1:24:14 AM

You're welcome. :) 
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 8:33:09 PM

no prob y0 :D 
m
0
l
!