I5-2500 vs i5-2500k

vaconcamp

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
So I'll be building a computer sometime in the future and I have my eyes on the i5-2500/i5-2500k chips. I know the 2500k can be overclocked and has better built in graphics. I won't be overclocking at all, and I'll have a discreet graphics card. I just want to know if the 2500k an advantage over the 2500 other than those 2 differences. Are they both the same at stock speeds?

DeusAres

Distinguished
Even though you don't plan on overclocking, I'd suggest grabbing the i5 2500k. The future is unpredictable. You may appreciate those overclocking abilities some time in the near future. It's really simple to do; and can easily net you 15-25+% boost in performance.

You already named the main differences between the two CPU's in your post. Other than what you mentioned they are pretty much the same CPU. I would still get the 2500k even though you say you don't plan on overclocking. While you say that now sometime down the road you might decide you want to try overclocking especially since you can very easily get to 4.5 GHz with just good aftermarket air cooling.

vaconcamp

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I'll definitely consider it.

Like I said you never know what you might want to do in the future. BTW you don't need to spend 75 to 90 dollars for a good air cooler. A 30 dollar hyper 212 plus or a 40 dollar Hyper 212 EVO works great and you should very easily be able to hit 4.5 GHz without messing with voltages or anything like that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts