Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Molex fan issue

Last response: in Components
September 17, 2012 2:10:26 AM

One of the fans in my case is a molex fan, it is a Zalman fan that came with the case, the Zalman Z11+. The fan will not spin unless I give it a tap on one of the blades and get it rolling. I've tried 3 diffrent PSU's with the molex, and same issue. Is there a short on the molex, or a kink somewhere?

More about : molex fan issue

a b ) Power supply
September 17, 2012 2:26:17 AM

If the fan is wired normally (black to black, fan red/yellow wire to PSU yellow wire) and the fan's speed switch (if any) is set to high but the fan still does not spin on its own, the fan is most likely either faulty or worn out.

Excessive junk buildup on blades might also prevent it from starting.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 17, 2012 2:27:31 AM

This sounds like the symptoms of a failing electric motor. My home's AC fan did this before it didn't matter if I gave it a nudge or not. First the capacitor that was supposed to "kick it" failed, then the motor failed soon after the capacitor was replaced....Back on topic:

It could, however, be an issue with where the wire connects to the pin(s) in the connector. (I had a fan-splitter fail that way once)

With the fan sitting idle (when it supposed to be spinning) try gently pushing the wires into the molex connector and holding them still like that for a few seconds and see if the fan kicks on. Then try the same gentle pressure, but at different angles. (pausing and holding each "angle" for a few seconds to see if the fan starts working.)

If the fan kicks on at any point while you are manipulating the wire/molex connector, you probably have a connection issue.

If you are sure the power/connector from the PSU is working correctly, then check the connection point between the wire and the pins in the molex connector from the fan.

If manipulation of the connection points do nothing and the only thing that gets the fan running is a "tap" on the blade, your fan is probably bad

Related resources
September 17, 2012 2:43:35 AM

Z1NONLY said:
This sounds like the symptoms of a failing electric motor. My home's AC fan did this before it didn't matter if I gave it a nudge or not. First the capacitor that was supposed to "kick it" failed, then the motor failed soon after the capacitor was replaced....Back on topic:

It could, however, be an issue with where the wire connects to the pin(s) in the connector. (I had a fan-splitter fail that way once)

With the fan sitting idle (when it supposed to be spinning) try gently pushing the wires into the molex connector and holding them still like that for a few seconds and see if the fan kicks on. Then try the same gentle pressure, but at different angles. (pausing and holding each "angle" for a few seconds to see if the fan starts working.)

If the fan kicks on at any point while you are manipulating the wire/molex connector, you probably have a connection issue.

If you are sure the power/connector from the PSU is working correctly, then check the connection point between the wire and the pins in the molex connector from the fan.

If manipulation of the connection points do nothing and the only thing that gets the fan running is a "tap" on the blade, your fan is probably bad

Do you think that if it came with the case, that they might have just cut costs and thrown in a refurb fan?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 17, 2012 11:02:35 AM

I consider fans a "pluck and chuck" part. I can't imagine any company would spend money on labor to refurbish a part that probably costs them < $5 to produce new.

That doesn't mean a new one can't be defective though.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 17, 2012 6:11:56 PM

Is this a new fan, or one you've been using for a while? If it has been in use for a while and used to be just fine, then likely the motor's bearings are getting worn and dry. That increases bearing friction and makes it harder to start. If you're a fixer, you can try to get at the bearings with a tiny drop of light (like sewing machine) oil. Otherwise, prepare to replace it.
m
l
September 17, 2012 7:29:33 PM

Paperdoc said:
Is this a new fan, or one you've been using for a while? If it has been in use for a while and used to be just fine, then likely the motor's bearings are getting worn and dry. That increases bearing friction and makes it harder to start. If you're a fixer, you can try to get at the bearings with a tiny drop of light (like sewing machine) oil. Otherwise, prepare to replace it.

I've had the case for about a month, it was like this from the start.
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:09:14 PM

Best answer selected by austing.
m
l
!